• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CT Statute describing long gun transportation?

gluegun

imported post

Can someone point me to a CT statute that describes how one must transport long guns from, say, one residence to another as part of one's belongings.

There are two statutes I've been looking at, but neither really apply.

Sec. 29-38. Weapons in vehicles neither specifically mentions firearms nor describes how one should transport any of the "deadly or dangerous weapons" it describes.

Sec. 29-35. Carrying of pistol or revolver without permit prohibited specifically applies to handguns, not long guns, but does explain how they must be transported.

I'm specifically looking for information regarding transportation within the state. FOPA won't apply. I'm trying to write a factual interpretation based on the statutes, not a "this should work" sort of thing.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

gluegun wrote:
I'm specifically looking for information regarding transportation within the state. FOPA won't apply.
Why not? The text of FOPA certainly applies, and the federal power to regulate commerce and instrumentalities of comemrce is almost unlimited.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

gluegun wrote:
Sec. 29-38. Weapons in vehicles neither specifically mentions firearms nor describes how one should transport any of the "deadly or dangerous weapons" it describes.
This section looks like it bans pretty much everybody from transporting a pistol or rifle or even large pocket knife, in a vehicle, even if going to/from a palce tolawfully target shoot - what's up with this statute?

mrjam2jab

imported post

Mike wrote:
gluegun wrote:
This section looks like it bans pretty much everybody from transporting a pistol or rifle or even large pocket knife, in a vehicle, even if going to/from a palce tolawfully target shoot - what's up with this statute?

But you can transport that large pocket knife when you move...just not anything else.

(C) any person while transporting such knife as merchandise or for display at an authorized gun or knife show, (D) any person while lawfully removing such person's household goods or effects from one place to another, or from one residence to another,...

So...if there are no laws regarding transporting long guns...then i guess there is no wrong way to do it...;)

i would just transport it in the trunk...unloaded. Maybe wrap it in a blanket to protect it.

gluegun

imported post

Mike wrote:
gluegun wrote:
For the purposes of sections 29-28 through 29-38, the terms pistol and revolver are specifically defined. CGS §29-35 specifically defines the method in which a pistol or revolver must be transported. Therefore, as long as §29-35 is followed, one is not in breach of §29-38. Additionally, anyone "transporting" a pistol on their person with a valid permit to carry is not in violation of §29-38.

Someone on another forum pointed me to §53-205 which covers transporting of long guns. This was the statute I was looking for.

gluegun

imported post

Mike wrote:
gluegun wrote:
I'm specifically looking for information regarding transportation within the state. FOPA won't apply.
Why not? The text of FOPA certainly applies, and the federal power to regulate commerce and instrumentalities of comemrce is almost unlimited.
In looking at Title 18 USC §926A you are correct. The text of the law does not restrict its application to interstate transportation, but the title clearly indicates the legislative intent was only to regulate interstate transportation, not intrastate transportation.

However, since I'm not familiar with the case law, I'd rather not rely on the case law of the "necessary and proper" clause with regards to Congress' power to establish "post roads" and how all of that plays with the 10th amendment in interpreting the transportation of firearms. Reading statutes is much simpler.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

gluegun wrote:
Mike wrote:
gluegun wrote:
For the purposes of sections 29-28 through 29-38, the terms pistol and revolver are specifically defined. CGS §29-35 specifically defines the method in which a pistol or revolver must be transported. Therefore, as long as §29-35 is followed, one is not in breach of §29-38. Additionally, anyone "transporting" a pistol on their person with a valid permit to carry is not in violation of §29-38.

Someone on another forum pointed me to §53-205 which covers transporting of long guns. This was the statute I was looking for.
So how does one without pistol carry license transport their handgun to/from gun smiths and ranges?

gluegun

imported post

If you don't have a permit to carry, you can't bring your pistol to the range unless it is for formal training from an instructor. Gun smiths are covered as one of the exceptions in the statute.

You can still rent a gun at the range, though.