• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Online gun permit database

Tribbs

imported post

I receivedthis e-mail from the NRA yesterday,I'm curious what everyone thinks about this.

On November 30, 2009, the Bloomington Herald-Times made the following announcement:

“This week, HeraldTimesOnline.com will launch its new gun permit database. You’ll be able to search gun permit records by county, city or town and street.”

The Herald-Times has begun receiving calls and emails, and their responseis a defiant defense of theironline gun permit database.

Anyone who visits the newspaper website will be able to search the number of permits on a given street or neighborhood. Although at this point the names and house numbersare not listed,the newspaper’s website treats law-abiding Indiana gun owners like sex offenders on a searchable database.

It is NRA's firm belief that there is no public good served by the publishing or cataloguing private citizens’ gun ownership information, and that more harm is done by such an action.Law-abiding Hoosiers should not be subjected to the same treatment as sex offenders, and if the newspaper won’t listen to their constituents and customers, then NRA Members and Indiana gun owners should send a financial message by cancelling their subscriptions to the Bloomington Herald-Times.

Tribbs

Beau

imported post

The newspaper is just doing what anyone can do. For a fee anyone can obtain the list of LTCH holders which includes all the information.

Personally I don't think that the list should be public knowledge.

As far as the newspaper.....At least they are leaving names and addresses out of it. There is also the chance that this could do some good. It could show some people who are of the anti persuasion that there are a lotmorepeople who are legally armed than they think. It may make them realize that firearms are not as taboo as they may have thought and encourage them to become gun owners themselves. I know this is a stretch but hey, one can hope.

As for criminals using this information. Without names and addresses it's hit and miss for them depending on what they are looking for. If they are looking for homes of possible non-gun owners they could use the list to target a street that show no LTCH's. If they are looking for homes that are likely to have weapons to steal, they can target a street that shows a high percentage of LTCH holders.

However, just because a person does/does not have and LTCH does not mean that there are/ are not weapons in the home.

All in all I think publishing their list is a bad idea.

Tribbs

imported post

I agree.

I tried to use the database on this website,apparently,you have to be a subscriber or willing to subscribe to use it. I am neither,so I can't attest to any information other than the fact that the link is on the website.

TMD

imported post

I live in the area and I am a municipal employee in Bloomington. I carry concealed only in Bloomington as our kind are entirely not welcome there, and I've had some friends harassed by BPD before.

This is unfortunately more anti-gun rhetoric posing as constructive argument from the H-T and its like. Every so often they'll bring up the topic of carry, concealed or otherwise, and pepper the discussion with "everyone knows..." and "it's common knowledge that..." anti-gun rhetoric before addressing our side. I look for them to start adding names in the near future. Watch it start with initials, or first names only, then moving on. Glad I live outside of town and only work in the city.

bobcat

imported post

There is work being done in the IN Senate to craft a bill to make the LTCH list private. This from my Senator, who I'll name, along with the Bill # as soon as it's assigned. Then it will be time to call your State Senator and those on the Committee hearing theBilland encourage support as the first order of business in the short session is to get this through committee, then the Senate floor for vote and to the House for committee assignment.

The House will be the tought nut to crack as it is controlled by Dems and the Speaker has anti-gun tendencies. Bauer scuttled the work carry (locked in car only) Bill last session.

lifer89

imported post

Please post asap! I am a new resident of Indiana and I am looking forward to speaking to my state reps. Supporting our rights has never been more important than now. I am so thankful that Indiana has the gun laws they do. I have purchased two guns since I have moved and will be getting another early next year. The process we have here is so smooth and fast. I had my gun purchased before I could find ammo for it. :celebrate

TFred

imported post

Good news for Indiana permit holders. I don't know anything about the Governor, will he sign it?

We are desperately hoping for a similar bill to pass here in Virginia this year, but it will be a tough road in our Senate.

TFred

http://www.wishtv.com/dpp/news/indiana/senate-oks-closing-gun-permit-database

Senate OKs closing gun permit database
Updated: Friday, 19 Feb 2010, 2:22 PM EST
Published : Friday, 19 Feb 2010, 2:19 PM EST

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- A bill that would end public access to the state database of people with permits to carry guns in Indiana has won final approval in the General Assembly.

The state Senate voted 48-0 on Thursday to approve the bill, which now goes to Gov. Mitch Daniels for consideration.

Legislators moved to close the records after complaints from gun owners when The Indianapolis Star and The Herald-Times of Bloomington used information from the database to scrutinize how gun permits are issued.

The Star reported several cases in which state police issued gun permits in Lake and Marion counties for people with violent or criminal histories despite objections from local police.

Supporters say those with gun permits have a right to privacy.

The House approved the bill 85-11 last month.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

About time. They added that provision to our concealed pistol license law back in 2001, when we went from may issue to shall issue.

I think EVERY state that issues permits/licenses to carry should have this protection.