Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Range Ideas

Post imported post

My apologies if this topic or question is redundant, but any ideas on a friendly range with good customer service that is worth patronizing in the Lansing area? I'm new to the gun sport so one that's patient and helpful to new women shooters is what I'm looking for.

Much obliged.

Post imported post

I drive something like 70 miles to go to the Pit in Lapeer, a free range on state land. No DNR, just a big sand pit. I utterly hate the way 90% of michigan ranges are run, so I'm willing to go shoot at the pit even if it's 10 below.

My geography isn't good enough to know how far of a drive it is for you, but it seems like it wouldn't be much worse of a distance for you than it is for me. It's especially convenient if you can car pool.

If you need instruction on how to shoot, the cheapest, most effective way to learn would probably be to have someone you know and trust show you how to shoot, and if such a person is unavailable, many people here are expert shooters, and would be glad to teach you some things if you wanted to arrange it.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

Draw a bullseye on a pizza box, go out in the woods, and shoot at it.
    Rand Paul 2016

Post imported post

I am a member at the Eaton Rapids Conservation club if your looking for friendly folk these are it. We are not "program deep" but we have several who will share their knowledge willing. very family oriented and real low yearly Membership rates.pm me if you would like more information.

Post imported post

If you are a new shooter I highly recommend a club like the E.R. Conservation club or one of the other local gun clubs. If you want to shoot on the cheap there is a dnr range that is free between Mason and Dansville. It's kinda like Michigander described the lapeer pit, no dnr to hassle you, just a sand pit in a hill with a backstop and shooting bench.

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7...0873--,00.html

I haven't used any of the local ranges so I'm of no help in that regard. Have fun.

Post imported post

Thanks all for the helpful info. I don't live that far from Eaton Rapids so I'll keep in mind.

Post imported post

I believe there is a range in or near Charlotte as well. You could also look into Chief Okemos Sportsman's club.

http://www.chiefokemos.org/index.php...e&Itemid=1

Good luck

Post imported post

There is another one near Eaton Rapids although I've never personally been there. Its called Family Shooters Corral.

http://www.familyshooterscorral.com/

Post imported post

Capitol City Rifle Club is great.

http://www.ccrifleclub.org/

Post imported post

Come to think of it, I do remember going by the Capital City one in Williamston, where I'm originally from. Thanks again for all the info.

Post imported post

Hey there Kim welcome to OCDO. Can you please set your location in your profile so we can get credit for you being a Michigander?

Post imported post

Hey Kim I'm around the Lansing area and there are a couple places to shoot. First being the DNR range at Rose Lake on Peacock Rd, its free but they can get annoying.
    Second place is for pistol only and its an indoor range at Total Firearms in Holt. Let me know if you ever want to go shooting I'm usually always up for it.

Post imported post

Jonny008 wrote:
    Hey Kim I'm around the Lansing area and there are a couple places to shoot. First being the DNR range at Rose Lake on Peacock Rd, its free but they can get annoying.
    What do you mean by this? Can you please clarify?

Thanks

Post imported post

T Vance wrote:
    Jonny008 wrote:
    What do you mean by this? Can you please clarify?

Thanks
    I used to go to Rose lake to shoot when I lived in Dewitt. He's most likely referring to the fact that the range officers are more like range Nazi's. At least they were when I was going there. Haven't been there in a long time though. They had a bunch of rules that basically made it good for sighting in a rifle but that was about it. I'm all in favor of safety on the range but it was ridiculous there.

Post imported post

I've heard that the Island Lake range near Brighton is a little ridiculous too.

Post imported post

Yes they are. Went there to sight in muzzle loader before going hunting. The guy tells me I have to put my Pyrodex pellets on the ground back behind the line and go back and get just two pellets each time I wanted to shoot. I had them in the Plastic case they come in and they were closed every time I shoot....hich meant they were on the ground where people were walking around to be kicked and stepped on.....I wasn't happy!
    Only two have offered their lives for you. A Soldier and Jesus....

Post imported post

We had a range officer like that at our club... NOTE had... I told him to go pound sand.

I spend a ton of my time keeping the ranges up and I am not going to be told what to do by some range NAZI esp when the rules he is enforcing are his own and not the clubs. He got mad and left the club and has not been back.

I would report this to the DNR and ask for a copy of the range rules. I would bet this is his own little range NAZI rule.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Post imported post

Just looked up the range rules and apparently they have been updated since I went there. At that time, you could only load one round into your rifle or pistol at a time but now they said you can load up to six. That was the rule that I thought was kinda silly.

http://www.dnr.state.mi.us/publicati...ootrange_2.pdf

Maybe I'll give it another chance one of these days. It was a really nice range.

Post imported post

Having a number of rounds in the gun rule is foolish. If you don't want rapid fire just have a no rapid fire rule!
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Post imported post

I have been seriously thinking of opening a range. I have access to a large facility and my affiliation with the NRA I could get help with their designs but am not sure there is enough business right now to support it with the way the economy has been in Metro Detroit...

I would even have sessions where there was rapid fire and pin shoots. It is just something I have been mulling over in the back of my mind.....

Post imported post

Bald Mountain goes by the "up to 6" rule and I had absolutely no issue when I was there last. I was OC'ing and was asked if I was a LEO, the only reason for that was so I could get a discount!

As for opening your own range, there is an old SAMS Club Building on 14 Mile between John R and Dequindre that looks like it would support a 100 yard indoor range! I am not sure anyone else has one around here that long.

Paint it OD Green and call it "The Ammo Dump".
    Rights are like muscles. You must EXERCISE THEM to keep them from becoming atrophied.

Post imported post

Done.

Post imported post

One of the issues I have with some of the DNR range officers is that when I take a pistol I get stopped and yelled at for having it in a holster. I like to practice drawing and firing yet the older guy always comes down to me and almost has a heart attack asking if I have a ccw license. It gets old.

Post imported post

If he is trying to be a range bully like some can be then do the following:

Look them deadpan in the eye and say "Of course not. But since Michigan has a CPL, I do have one of those." Then turn and walk away. If you do this in front of a group the DNR officer will be made to look like the fool he is.

Be forewarned he will not be very friendly after that. But then again he wanted to belittle you so....you decide.....just sayin.....

Post imported post

let see

you will need twp approval

you will need range liablity ins.

hvac system and such over 300K for top state of the art system depending on how many lanes

+P the AC unit for it another 80+k pending size also heating an lighting the building and electrical for the entire place about 8-10K per month right there

trap system a lot more

then there is the carrier system and mantenice on that.

stock and inventory 100-200K guns holsters ammo mags etc...

you will need rough of 1.5 to 2 Mil to have it done right and make profit of 700+ a day cleared to make mney and keep the lights open

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast