• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Range Ideas

Kim

imported post

My apologies if this topic or question is redundant, but any ideas on a friendly range with good customer service that is worth patronizing in the Lansing area? I'm new to the gun sport so one that's patient and helpful to new women shooters is what I'm looking for.

Much obliged.

Michigander

imported post

I drive something like 70 miles to go to the Pit in Lapeer, a free range on state land. No DNR, just a big sand pit. I utterly hate the way 90% of michigan ranges are run, so I'm willing to go shoot at the pit even if it's 10 below.

My geography isn't good enough to know how far of a drive it is for you, but it seems like it wouldn't be much worse of a distance for you than it is for me. It's especially convenient if you can car pool.

If you need instruction on how to shoot, the cheapest, most effective way to learn would probably be to have someone you know and trust show you how to shoot, and if such a person is unavailable, many people here are expert shooters, and would be glad to teach you some things if you wanted to arrange it.

dukenukum

imported post

I am a member at the Eaton Rapids Conservation club if your looking for friendly folk these are it. We are not "program deep" but we have several who will share their knowledge willing. very family oriented and real low yearly Membership rates.pm me if you would like more information.

Denny

imported post

If you are a new shooter I highly recommend a club like the E.R. Conservation club or one of the other local gun clubs. If you want to shoot on the cheap there is a dnr range that is free between Mason and Dansville. It's kinda like Michigander described the lapeer pit, no dnr to hassle you, just a sand pit in a hill with a backstop and shooting bench.

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-42199_39011-130873--,00.html

I haven't used any of the local ranges so I'm of no help in that regard. Have fun. :)

Kim

imported post

Come to think of it, I do remember going by the Capital City one in Williamston, where I'm originally from. Thanks again for all the info.

Jonny008

imported post

Hey Kim I'm around the Lansing area and there are a couple places to shoot. First being the DNR range at Rose Lake on Peacock Rd, its free but they can get annoying.
Second place is for pistol only and its an indoor range at Total Firearms in Holt. Let me know if you ever want to go shooting I'm usually always up for it.

T Vance

imported post

Jonny008 wrote:
Hey Kim I'm around the Lansing area and there are a couple places to shoot. First being the DNR range at Rose Lake on Peacock Rd, its free but they can get annoying.

What do you mean by this? Can you please clarify?

Thanks

Denny

imported post

T Vance wrote:
Jonny008 wrote:

What do you mean by this? Can you please clarify?

Thanks
I used to go to Rose lake to shoot when I lived in Dewitt. He's most likely referring to the fact that the range officers are more like range Nazi's. At least they were when I was going there. Haven't been there in a long time though. They had a bunch of rules that basically made it good for sighting in a rifle but that was about it. I'm all in favor of safety on the range but it was ridiculous there.

SlowDog

imported post

Yes they are. Went there to sight in muzzle loader before going hunting. The guy tells me I have to put my Pyrodex pellets on the ground back behind the line and go back and get just two pellets each time I wanted to shoot. I had them in the Plastic case they come in and they were closed every time I shoot....hich meant they were on the ground where people were walking around to be kicked and stepped on.....I wasn't happy!:banghead::banghead:

autosurgeon

imported post

We had a range officer like that at our club... NOTE had... I told him to go pound sand.

I spend a ton of my time keeping the ranges up and I am not going to be told what to do by some range NAZI esp when the rules he is enforcing are his own and not the clubs. He got mad and left the club and has not been back.

I would report this to the DNR and ask for a copy of the range rules. I would bet this is his own little range NAZI rule.

Denny

SlowDog

imported post

I have been seriously thinking of opening a range. I have access to a large facility and my affiliation with the NRA I could get help with their designs but am not sure there is enough business right now to support it with the way the economy has been in Metro Detroit...:uhoh:

I would even have sessions where there was rapid fire and pin shoots. It is just something I have been mulling over in the back of my mind.....