• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to this..

XD40BiTone

imported post

Hello to all. I just stumbled upon this site and love reading your posts. I've known for a while that NC was an OC state but didnt know alot of the legalities therein. I've purchased a very nice Springfield XD40 bi-tone and have a great time at the range with it. Although I know I have a right to carry openly, I find it a bit nerve racking to actually walk amidst while wearing my piece. I would like to start exercising my right but would like to get an idea of what else to expect. Do you get alot of flack from local police agencies? Do I need paperwork of any kind? What should I expect ifapproached by the law enforcement? Since I've purchased this pistol I am hooked, I look forward to purchasing more in the future and passing down these lessons and responsabilities to my proginy as it was passed to me.

Keep up the good work on the site folks. I look forward to talking with you soon.

Bill

Dreamer

imported post

If we knew some more facts abou tyou, it would a lot easier to tell you what to expect. Where do you live? How old are you? What sort of neighborhood do you live in? What do you look like?

All these factors can influence how you are perceived (and therefore treated) by LEOs. It probably shouldn't be that way, but it is.

For instance, I'm 44, white, have short hair, and wear button down shirts most of the time. I carry a .45 in a Serpa, so a lot of folks (citizens and LEOs) assume that I'm a cop, and therefore I don't get hassled. In fact I had an off-duty Deputy ask me a few weeks ago if I was new on the force here in Washington. I live in a small town, in a rural region, where gun ownership and pro-2A sentiments are the norm.

However, if you live in one of the larger cities, or are a minority, or are young (under 35) or have long hair or a lot of tattoos, you might get more "attention" from LEOs. That's not right, but unfortunately that's teh way it is.

Going about your business while OCing can be made a LOT smoother if you look "normal" or are with a "family". When I fist started OCing, I would often go with my wife and/or stepdaughter. Also, I was a "known entity" with local merchants and local LEOs for about a year before I started OCing, and had developed a reputation as polite, professional, and an upstanding guy. If people already know you as a "good guy", they generally won't be worried when they see you with a gun on your hip.

If folks don't know you, and you show up with a gun on your hip, that's when things can sometimes get a little squirrelly...

If you're still unsure about OCing, I'd suggest hooking up with some other local OCers at one of the OC Meetup Dinners. The schedule for Dinners is sort of drying up right now because of the holidays, but things should pick up after the new year...

And study the laws here in NC. The NC Attorney Generals website has a downloadable PDF with all the NC firearms laws, and that is a good place to start. Also, you need to know your rights, which you can learn from the other members here. There are a lot of good people on here, and the knowledge base that is available on this site is extensive. Just ask lots of questions, and we'll try and give you answers, or pont you toward sources of answers.

Good luck, and welcome to the world of OC.

XD40BiTone

imported post

Well I'm caucasian, Not short long hair but not long either. No criminal background. No peircings.I havea few tattoos that are noticable. Married with two small children. I dont normally dress up very nice. jeans and a pollo shirt if not T's. Probably wouldnt be a good idea for me to carry then would it? I dont know alot of people and the people I do know are more like myself. Family guys and thier wives and children. My wife is really kind of against me carrying but I want to learn more. Of course I would hate to offend anyone by carrying.

I wouldnt be able to make a dinner at greensboro, but I would like to get a chance to meet some people in my area.

Bill

Dreamer

imported post

Well, I'm sure the other members of this forum will agree with me when I say the best thing for you do do is just DO IT. Study the laws, keep your eyes out for "no Guns" signs (and avoid those places) and just carry. Don't be self-conscious, don't draw attention to yourself, and be prepared to answer questions, because people are often curious...

I've had really good luck--never been hassled once by LEO's and never been asked to leave a business--but like I said, that may be due in large part to my looks and my demeanor. When I carry, I'm painfully polite--I say please and thanks, use "sir" and "ma'am", and I hold doors for little old ladies and mothers with children...

But then again, I do all those things when I'm not carrying too... ;)

OC isn't for everyone. If you are shy, or don't want to talk to people about 2A rights, or you aren't the sort of person who is willing to stand his grond against cops who don't know the law, then maybe you'd be better off getting a Concealed Handgun Permit (CHP).

If you are in the Washington/Greenville/New Bern area, maybe we can get together some time. I've been wanting to put together an OC Dinner out in this part of the state.

Good luck, and study up!

chiefjason

imported post

If you choose to you can go into your account and add what city you are from.

I used to worry about appearances. I would tuck my shirt in and try to look good when I would OC. Now I just go out, usually in jeans and a tshirt, and pull the shirt over my holster. VA tuck. I've been out a few times in my ratty old yard clothes. My hair cut, really short, does give me the LEO or military look. That's probably what lots of folks think. I always correct them if they ask. The look you get when you do that is priceless. That generally leads to a discussion about OC too. It took a lot of nerve and much surfing to get info before I first OC'd. Now I don't worry about it.

REX681959

imported post

I started out just wearing mine around the house & out in the yard. I went ahead ( and I think a lot of others did this ) & got my CC permit that way I have a choice. I wear a 44 Mag on the hip & it's just like carrying my cell phone. Well not quite but you get the idea. Go about your day like normal & 80% of the people you meet won't even notice.

XD40BiTone

imported post

Well I'm in the Raleigh Durham area. More Raleigh than anything off of HWY 70.

I'm also the president of a cigar aficionados club here in Raleigh. I have a group of about 8 gentlemen that get together once a month for an aparetif and a fine cigar. We cook out or bring snacks. wives get together and shoot the preverbial &$@#. I have a website Forum much like this one up and running if anyone is interested. Maybe there is someway we can combine the two and just have a nice time.

My club name is FTL (Finer Things in Life) and our site is..

http://www.FTL.gonzoinc.com

It is new and currently doesnt have alot going on but there are some posts for everyone to get an idea of what we're about. I hope you all stop by and join us as well. As I hope to get to know some of you and learn more.

Bill

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Welcome to the boards. I haven't OC'd out here in Greensboro where I live yet except around my home.

I'm a little more frightened, not shy, to deal with OCing around town but I've had great support from several people on this site, especially from ones posting in this thread so hopefully very soon I can brave it and do it on my own with out a group (although I haven't gone to an OC meetup yet).

Be safe!

JDriver1.8t

imported post

Raleigh is one of the easier areas to OC in my experience. There are less strange looks than in Charlotte or Greensboro.

Though, RPD has had to be corrected a couple of times though.

Dreamer

imported post

XD40BiTone wrote:
I'm also the president of a cigar aficionados club here in Raleigh. I have a group of about 8 gentlemen that get together once a month for an aparetif and a fine cigar.
Bill,

Now that sounds like a very compatible group with the OC bunch. I'm a big fan of cigars too (I used to work at Georgetown Tobacco, back in the day). I've got quite a well-stocked humidor myself. My favorites are Fuente Hemingways, La Gloria Cubanos, and Ashton Maduros...

An OC/Cigar/BBQ would be a GREAT idea, wen the weather gets a little warmer again.

The only thing is that under NC law, you can't drink if you are carrying.

But I'm sure something could be worked out...;)

Let us know when your next event is going to be, and maybe a few of us OC cigar smokers could tag along. I've got some VERY nice (and well-aged) smokes that I would love to share with your group.

As far as OCing in the Raleigh area, I've carried over in the area of the Crabtree Mall, and not had a single problem. You can see my report here:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=33522&forum_id=41&highlight=crabtree

XD40BiTone

imported post

We can certainly work something out. I'm excited just thinking about it.. haha. My group is currently working on setting the best date for our next gathering. We'll be getting the help of Chicago UNO in Briar Creek in Raleigh. Since we're looking to broaden our membership and meet new people Chocago UNO will be supporting us with free snacks and a two drink minimum. If we can get 10 or more people to show up we get free pizzas as well. My co-founders wife is manager there and the staff is very helpfull. Unfortunately since there will be a two drink minimum I dont think OCing will be permited... Actually I'm pretty sure it wont be. PLus we wont be able to have our cigar there but we can certainly have the chance to meet and enjoy the conversation topics.

Once again please feel free to check out FTLs website forum. Register with us, it's free. join our general discussion and let loose on some fine tobacco. Once you get on you'd be able to see wha date we've set in January for our meet and greet. Hope to hear from you all soon.

http://www.FTL.gonzoinc.com

P.S. I love those La Gloria Cubanas too.. Wow! What a fine smoke. I also love Ghurka Legends, aged 11 years. Also getting a taste for some Victor Sinclairs.

blksiryder

imported post

didnt want to start a new post so i'll chime in on this one. i'm a 28 year old father of 2 and married. i live in hubert nc and work at cherry point nc. Im still a res of ohio where im from. and have a ohio DL. i was looking to find out if i can get a ccw permit in craven county as its easier then onslow. can i do this being that i work in craven. or do i have to deal with onslow? thank you for all your help and time

Lance

Rugerp345

imported post

Welcome Bill, I think you will be fine. You will be surprised that most people just simply don't notice. The ones that do are usually curious to know if they can do it to.

I haven't had any bad experience with LEO's over the years. Occasionally you'll run into a newbie who will have to call his supervisor to "see if you are doing anything wrong", but that's about it.

Little handheld recorders are nice to have anyway.

ocgso

imported post

REX681959 wrote:
I started out just wearing mine around the house & out in the yard. I went ahead ( and I think a lot of others did this ) & got my CC permit that way I have a choice. I wear a 44 Mag on the hip & it's just like carrying my cell phone. Well not quite but you get the idea. Go about your day like normal & 80% of the people you meet won't even notice.

+1 to that. If your gun remotely matches your outfit (black nylon holster with a non stainless gun against dark jeans/slacks) then you would be surprised how few people notice.

I wear mine when I mow the lawn, when I work on the car, and when I go run errands. You just get used to it, and it is like REX681959said, like carrying your cell phone.

You rarely get hassled.I have been asked to leave once in a year and half of OC'ing everywhere I can ingreensboro.

If you are concerned with getting hassled, wear a polo shirt and nice jeans. Youare less likely to be hassled.

Also, hold one of your kids hands with your weak side, you get a lot less "he's going to kill and rob us" looks with a kid holding your hand.

My 2cents

Dreamer

imported post

blksiryder wrote:
i was looking to find out if i can get a ccw permit in craven county as its easier then onslow. can i do this being that i work in craven. or do i have to deal with onslow? thank you for all your help and time

Lance
I'm pretty sure that NC does not issue non-resident permits. The qualifications for a NC CHP are that you must:
1) apply in the county of your residence, and

2) be a NC resident for a minimum of 30 days.

Since you're not an established resident, I don't think you can get a permit here in NC.

Why not get an OH license? Their permit procedures seem very similar to ours here in NC. Are you planning to become a permanent resident of NC? If not, then I believe your only recourse is to get the permit in your state and county of "official" residency.

But you may want to contact your local Sheriff and see. I could be wrong, but the way I read the laws, you have to be a NC resident...

Good luck,

--Richard

ocgso

imported post

lonewolf2810 wrote:
I really wish people would tell their location. That way we get a better idea where you are and what areas are the most friendly to OC'ing.

Greensboro, NC (hence the screen name :lol:)

I will be honest, I have found very few problems in Greensboro and find it rather OC friendly.

My only poor encounter occurred down east on my way back from Myrtle Beach. I will post about that later......