• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kayak Travel Commercial

Denny

imported post

I keep seeing this commercial running on the National Geographic Channel and every time it comes on I just shake my head. Do you guys think its going a little too faror am I just being too sensitive?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RFoEn5EYJw

I personally don't think its amusing to do a parody of the veterans who stormed the beaches on D-day to sell vacations.

autosurgeon

imported post

Generaldet wrote:
Never really though of it from that point of view. The first time I saw it all I kept thinking about was this old man doing body shots off of chicks on the beach and bonging beers, lmao.
This is what was intended... some are reading into it wayyy too far.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

What I want to know is, what mouthpiece is telling so-called "conservatives" to get riled up over what amounts to a silly joke and some puns?

There's no way y'all thought of being offended yourselves. It's wayyy too innocuous.

As soon as I saw there was already a "debate" ongoing at youtube, the above became immediately, unambiguously self-evident.

So, who's the mouthpiece? O'Reilly?

Denny

imported post

marshaul wrote:
What I want to know is, what mouthpiece is telling so-called "conservatives" to get riled up over what amounts to a silly joke and some puns?

There's no way y'all thought of being offended yourselves. It's wayyy too innocuous.

As soon as I saw there was already a "debate" ongoing at youtube, the above became immediately, unambiguously self-evident.

This original post came from me and me alone. I haven't seen anyone else mention this anywhere until I hadpart of my post partly written and looked for the video on youtube to link to it and saw that others too were talking about it.

You say there is no way I thought of being offended because it was too innocuous but let me assure you, I was. From where I sit typing this I can see the folded and encased burial flag of a world war 2 veteran and maybe this is why I don't think this commercial is very funny. So just for the record, therestill are people who can get upset about certain issues without having to be cheered on by some talking head on television.And for the record, I don't watch O'Reilly.

With that said, If this thread was to far off topic I apologize to the membership for posting it and to the mods, please delete it. It was just something that was bothering me when I sat down and I wanted to get it off my chest.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Denny wrote:
marshaul wrote:

This original post came from me and me alone. I haven't seen anyone else mention this anywhere until I had part of my post partly written and  looked for the video on youtube to link to it and saw that others too were talking about it.

You say there is no way I thought of being offended because it was too innocuous but let me assure you, I was. From where I sit typing this I can see the folded and encased burial flag of a world war 2 veteran and maybe this is why I don't think this commercial is very funny. So just for the record, there still are people who can get upset about certain issues without having to be cheered on by some talking head on television.  And for the record, I don't watch O'Reilly.

With that said, If this thread was to far off topic I apologize to the membership for posting it and to the mods, please delete it. It was just something that was bothering me when I sat down and I wanted to get it off my chest.
lol, fair enough. Well, I guess that means you're genuinely not alone. Others agree with you.

Personally, I thought it was most dumb, a little funny, but I wasn't offended. I could tell it was going to try to be funny right off the bat.

Denny

imported post

Code:
Here is the response I received this morning from Kayak.Com in response
Code:
to an email I sent them right after my original post:
Code:
Dear Sir or Madam,

I just read your e-mail, and I'm very sorry that our ad offended you.

We definitely meant no disrespect. I have the utmost respect and gratitude
Code:
for our veterans and the sacrifices they've made for us. I know what they
Code:
did for us. I personally have many family members who have served or are
Code:
currently serving including my father. One of our co-founders father's
Code:
served in WWII as did the main actor's father.
Code:
The ad is intended to convey that the character is poking fun at himself.
Code:
We've also received positive feedback including from current service members
Code:
and veterans though I'm not discounting your sentiments at all.

Again, I sincerely apologize, and we certainly did not mean to offend you.

Respectfully, Robert

Personally, I've been rethinking this and I guess I over reacted to it a
Code:
bit. I never questioned their right to put out any commercial they want
Code:
but just thought it to be in poor taste. Ok, getiing off my soap box now.
Code:
LOL.:)