Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Kayak Travel Commercial

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Lansing, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    188

    Post imported post

    I keep seeing this commercial running on the National Geographic Channel and every time it comes on I just shake my head. Do you guys think its going a little too faror am I just being too sensitive?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RFoEn5EYJw

    I personally don't think its amusing to do a parody of the veterans who stormed the beaches on D-day to sell vacations.

  2. #2
    Regular Member Generaldet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,073

    Post imported post

    Never really though of it from that point of view. The first time I saw it all I kept thinking about was this old man doing body shots off of chicks on the beach and bonging beers, lmao.



  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    625

    Post imported post

    Turn the channel

  4. #4
    Regular Member autosurgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Lawrence, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    3,845

    Post imported post

    Generaldet wrote:
    Never really though of it from that point of view. The first time I saw it all I kept thinking about was this old man doing body shots off of chicks on the beach and bonging beers, lmao.

    This is what was intended... some are reading into it wayyy too far.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

    Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

  5. #5
    Regular Member PDinDetroit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SE, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,336

    Post imported post

    And this has exactly what to do with Open Carry and Firearm Rights???

    MODS - delete this thread!
    Rights are like muscles. You must EXERCISE THEM to keep them from becoming atrophied.

  6. #6
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487

    Post imported post

    What I want to know is, what mouthpiece is telling so-called "conservatives" to get riled up over what amounts to a silly joke and some puns?

    There's no way y'all thought of being offended yourselves. It's wayyy too innocuous.

    As soon as I saw there was already a "debate" ongoing at youtube, the above became immediately, unambiguously self-evident.

    So, who's the mouthpiece? O'Reilly?

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Lansing, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    188

    Post imported post

    marshaul wrote:
    What I want to know is, what mouthpiece is telling so-called "conservatives" to get riled up over what amounts to a silly joke and some puns?

    There's no way y'all thought of being offended yourselves. It's wayyy too innocuous.

    As soon as I saw there was already a "debate" ongoing at youtube, the above became immediately, unambiguously self-evident.

    So, who's the mouthpiece? O'Reilly?
    This original post came from me and me alone. I haven't seen anyone else mention this anywhere until I hadpart of my post partly written and looked for the video on youtube to link to it and saw that others too were talking about it.

    You say there is no way I thought of being offended because it was too innocuous but let me assure you, I was. From where I sit typing this I can see the folded and encased burial flag of a world war 2 veteran and maybe this is why I don't think this commercial is very funny. So just for the record, therestill are people who can get upset about certain issues without having to be cheered on by some talking head on television.And for the record, I don't watch O'Reilly.

    With that said, If this thread was to far off topic I apologize to the membership for posting it and to the mods, please delete it. It was just something that was bothering me when I sat down and I wanted to get it off my chest.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Romulus/Wayne County, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    306

    Post imported post

    Anyway. Wake up an go to sleep...

  9. #9
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487

    Post imported post

    Denny wrote:
    marshaul wrote:
    What I want to know is, what mouthpiece is telling so-called "conservatives" to get riled up over what amounts to a silly joke and some puns?

    There's no way y'all thought of being offended yourselves. It's wayyy too innocuous.

    As soon as I saw there was already a "debate" ongoing at youtube, the above became immediately, unambiguously self-evident.

    So, who's the mouthpiece? O'Reilly?
    This original post came from me and me alone. I haven't seen anyone else mention this anywhere until I had¬*part of my post partly written and ¬*looked for the video on youtube to link to it and saw that others too were talking about it.

    You say there is no way I thought of being offended because it was too innocuous but let me assure you, I was. From where I sit typing this I can see the folded and encased burial flag of a world war 2 veteran and maybe this is why I don't think this commercial is very funny. So just for the record, there¬*still are people who can get upset about certain issues without having to be cheered on by some talking head on television.¬*¬*And for the record, I don't watch O'Reilly.

    With that said, If this thread was to far off topic I apologize to the membership for posting it and to the mods, please delete it. It was just something that was bothering me when I sat down and I wanted to get it off my chest.
    lol, fair enough. Well, I guess that means you're genuinely not alone. Others agree with you.

    Personally, I thought it was most dumb, a little funny, but I wasn't offended. I could tell it was going to try to be funny right off the bat.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Lansing, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    188

    Post imported post




    Code:
    Here is the response I received this morning from Kayak.Com in response
    Code:
    to an email I sent them right after my original post:
    Code:
    Dear Sir or Madam,
    
    I just read your e-mail, and I'm very sorry that our ad offended you.
    
    We definitely meant no disrespect. I have the utmost respect and gratitude
    Code:
    for our veterans and the sacrifices they've made for us. I know what they
    Code:
    did for us. I personally have many family members who have served or are
    Code:
    currently serving including my father. One of our co-founders father's
    Code:
    served in WWII as did the main actor's father.
    Code:
    The ad is intended to convey that the character is poking fun at himself.
    Code:
    We've also received positive feedback including from current service members
    Code:
    and veterans though I'm not discounting your sentiments at all.
    
    Again, I sincerely apologize, and we certainly did not mean to offend you.
    
    Respectfully, Robert
    
    
    Personally, I've been rethinking this and I guess I over reacted to it a
    Code:
    bit. I never questioned their right to put out any commercial they want
    Code:
    but just thought it to be in poor taste. Ok, getiing off my soap box now.
    Code:
    LOL.:)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •