• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

an OC question

Courrèges

imported post

georg,

Carrying a firearm in your car or home, even concealed, is a constitutionally-protected activity. Although the statute doesn't expressly include an exception, it is (or should be) implied. An officer might not agree, but you'd stand a good chance at winning in court.

There isn't any jurisprudence on this issue, although there is a line from a concurrence in the Supreme Court case of State v. Snoddy, 389 So. 2d 377 (La. 1980) in which Justice Lemmon questioned whether 14:95 was "applicable at all on one's private property," and argued that, in any event, it was not designed to present a homeowner from concealing a firearm while investigating a disturbance.

In any event, it's crass behavior on the part of a police officer to arrest a person for concealing a firearm on their person in a vehicle when it is perfectly legal to carry in a motor vehicle.

-----------------------------------------------

UPDATE: I just reviewed a few more cases and I did find one that deals with this issue -- State v. Young, 472 So. 2d 297 (La. App. 1 Cir. 1985). That case dealt with a person arrested under 14:95 for carrying concealed in his own driveway. The Court held that the application of the statute did not violate the Second Amendment, which does not apply to the states (although this will likely be overturned in the near future), and further that it did not violate Art. I, Sec. 11 of the Louisiana Constitution because it expressly permits the regulation of the concealment of firearms.

However -- and this is a big however -- the court held that the defendant had failed to brief his right to privacy and thus those arguments were waived. The biggest argument here is whether you can constitutionally regulate concealment of firearms on private property or in a vehicle (arguably an extension of one's home), or whether that would violate a person's right to be secure in his home. I think that this is what Lemmon was suggesting.

There's also an argument that the law as applied violates due process, since there is no rational reason not to allow people to carry concealed on their own property, but that apparently wasn't briefed either. Young looks like a case of the defendant's attorney's doing a terrible job.

georg jetson

imported post

Courrèges wrote:
georg,

Carrying a firearm in your car or home, even concealed, is a constitutionally-protected activity. Although the statute doesn't expressly include an exception, it is (or should be) implied. An officer might not agree, but you'd stand a good chance at winning in court.
Thanks for your input Courreges...

You do make a good point, but even though your opinion is that "you'd stand a good chance at winning in court.", it should also be understood that there is a good chance that you WILL become a defendant.

Also, the La. Const Article 1 does not include an exception to private property or a private car/truck either.

Right to Keep and Bear Arms [align=justify]Section 11. The right of each citizen to keep and bear arms shall not be abridged, but this provision shall not prevent the passage of laws to prohibit the carrying of weapons concealed on the person.
[/align] Also in State vs Fluker, the Supreme Court overturned NOT based on the fact that the defendant was in his private car, but because there was no intention to conceal. Does this mean the argument would have no merit, well no... but its lack of consideration appears to me that it would make a weak defense. Furthering your point however, in Justice Marcus' argument in support of his opinion, it's clear that the original intention of such laws had NOTHING to do with one's own property.

In light of all of this I would make this statement...

If you don't think 14:95 applies to one's own private property or private conveyance and intend on carrying concealed without a permit in such places, then you had better be ready for the battle.

One thing is for sure... there wouldn't be much of a chance for civil recourse as it would appear that any arresting officer would certainly be covered by immunity.

Edit

Ok... that's not fair editing your post while I am writing a response :) I think I'll spend some time researching this.

Thanks for the update... And if I may comment on Mr. Young's attorney...

This is a good reason why citizens should educate themselves concerning the law so that they may help their attorney provide a better defense. If you want to check and make sure your attorney has filed a proper appellant brief then just go here...

http://www.lasc.org/rules/Appellate.asp

Courrèges

imported post

georg,

Even if you were arrested, though, the District Attorney's office may well refuse the charges if you're, say, a law abiding citizen who was carrying a gun concealed in his own home. If they did accept the charges, they'd probably just be using it as leverage on other charges or would be anxious to plea it down.

I think it's fairly clear that La. R.S. 14:95 is *rarely* enforced against otherwise law-abiding citizens in their own homes and/or vehicles, most likely because the intent of the statute was plainly not to prosecute people on their own property (again, as noted by Justice Lemmon).

All that said, if you have an officer who is a jerk and an overzealous prosecutor trying to charge you anyway, it would be an intense legal fight. Then again, that can be the case even when you're plainly in the right.

charlie12

imported post

witerango wrote:
did he start in the car?... was he made to get our the car?.....

I asked the question on another forum and a LEO answeredand below is what he said.

"no, they couldn't, he was sitting inside the vehicle and they asked him to get out. Therefore, they cannot charge him with illegall CC"

WWMD

Banned
imported post

Courrèges wrote:
georg,

Even if you were arrested, though, the District Attorney's office may well refuse the charges if you're, say, a law abiding citizen who was carrying a gun concealed in his own home. If they did accept the charges, they'd probably just be using it as leverage on other charges or would be anxious to plea it down.

I think it's fairly clear that La. R.S. 14:95 is *rarely* enforced against otherwise law-abiding citizens in their own homes and/or vehicles, most likely because the intent of the statute was plainly not to prosecute people on their own property (again, as noted by Justice Lemmon).

All that said, if you have an officer who is a jerk and an overzealous prosecutor trying to charge you anyway, it would be an intense legal fight. Then again, that can be the case even when you're plainly in the right.
Hello everyone. Long time listener, first time caller.:DGreat discussion going on here by most.

I think this post clearly sums up the realistic situation here in Louisiana. Could be enforced, but rarely is unless other charges are going on.

suntzu

imported post

charlie12 wrote:
yale wrote:
Glock34 wrote:
Is Deputy Sheriff , Steven Seagal OC friendly ? I have been watching his show, looks pretty good.

He's an idiot. Asking if a gun is registered and for papers. Here in Louisiana we don'tregister our guns. That's what I call a "Law and Order" question, as in "Everything I know about guns and gun laws I learned from watching reruns of Law and Order." These leads to clueless citizens asking similar questions.

Citizen- Is that gun registered?

me- Registered with who?

Citizen- I don't know. I'm sure it has to be registered.

me- Tell you what, you find out who I'm supposed to register it with and then send me an email and I'll think about it. See ya.

Before ya'll get too bent out of shape go back and look at the video. They had a open container (against LA law) the guy was carrying a concealed handgun without a permit. (Against LA law) and theyDID NOTask him if it was registered, he said it was registered and after that the LEO asked him where the papers were. The gun was not in NCIC asstolen so they let them go.
They aresome pretty lucky guys for notgetting busted for the two laws they broke.
Actually I watched the episode as well--and when they found the gun one of the officers(not Segal) asked the one individual whether or not the firearm was registered--and then the man stated "yes". After that they ran the firearm through the NCIC and it came back clean and they instructed him to "not load" the firearm....

I admit they did get off easy--if the firearm was concealed and they let him go.