• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

If someone other than LEO attempts to dis-arm you

Deanimator

imported post

Splice together every scene in the martial arts movie "The Streetfighter" in which Sonny Chiba beats, kicks, castrates or blinds somebody so that they all happen without any pauses between them... that's for starters.

I assume that anybody who's trying to get my gun is planning to use it on me. I'll do ANYTHING necessary to prevent getting shot.

Decoligny

imported post

LRS76251 wrote:
Nobody said you have to carry all of that gear. However, I would highly recommend having at least one non-lethal option at your disposal. If you don't want to take heedto what I had to say, then fine, you don't have to. Its your butt, not mine. I'm trying to pass on some experience so you don't have to live it. I used to teach this sort of thing to civilians as well as federal government personnel at one time in my life and know what I'm talking about.

Its a good idea to get training in things other than just firearms because not every encounter is going to be one where using a firearm would be justified. At a minimum, get some OC spray and learn how to use it properly. There are lots of good brands out there...Vexor, Saber Red, First Defense, FOX, Punch II/III, ASP OC kubatons, etc. Pick one and learn how to use it. Check your local laws for any size restrictions or mixture restrictions and possession laws. Some places are more strict than others such as NY and CA.

Just because someone goes for your gun doesn't mean you can shoot them.Everydefensive situation is different and you have to use good judgement based on what is happening at the time. If you jump the gun, more than likely, itsgoing to be YOUR butt facing charges. The actualaggressor won't be facing charges because he'll be dead and will probablybe referred to as the "victim" by a prosecutor.

Another thing, if youfind yourself in a self defense situation, whatever you do, please keep inmind that you have a right to remain silent. DO NOT assume the police will be sympatheticto you and will be on your side. They will NOT. They are on the scene to investigate a homicide and you will be the one holding the smoking gun. Call your attorney and SHUT UP!!!!
I for one never said to shoot the attacker. I said that you would probably be justified in using lethal force. There are many different methods of using lethal force. If someone is attempting to take my gun, then they are attempting to use lethal force against me.

I happen to be hypersensitive to OC. I once caught an infintesimally small amount carried on the wind from someone else using it. Nobody around me reacted to it. My eyes swelled shut and I could hardly breath. Took me about 30 minutes to recover. So I will never carry OC as it would be self-defeating to do so.

If someone attempts to take my firearm, they will first get a strong side elbow. If that doesn't stop them, then that will be followed up by either my knife, or my cane, whichever is most appropriate, and either can be applied with equal lethality.

Rugerp345

imported post

old dog wrote:
If a non-LEO grabs your weapon without permission, wouldn't it be grand larceny or even strong-arm robbery?

I would consider it the same as if someone walked up behind me and tried to pickpocket my wallet - attempted robbery.

okboomer

imported post

You might want to check the state statute in your area concerning carrying ... somewhere in there it should say something like "you are responsible for the firearm at all times."

If someone tries to take your gun, resist with all force necessary. Trying to take your gun is an ATTACK!

As for what to do if they get your gun, shoot them with your BUG!

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

N6ATF wrote:
HankT wrote:
Nutczak wrote:
I have been charged with battery of a public servant once already (the charges were laterdropped) whensomeone idiot grabbed me from behind and surprised me. I pushed into this unknown person to knock them off-balance and then came around with my other arm and punched this person in the chest as hard as I possibly could.
Imagine the look of shock on my face when I saw a sheriff's deputy landing on his ass and heard the wind getting knocked out of him, then the sound of him trying to catch his breath while on his hands and knees wheezing! The rest of the night got real ugly, real fast after that incident. I stopped after my initial hit, backed up and put my hands on top of my head to show surrender. Then the SOB tackeled me and tried to beat me whern I was not resisting.
Why were the charges dropped, Nutczak?
Sounds like the brutality in the last sentence would cover it.
The guy grabbed me from behind with no probable cause or identifying himself and his intentions, he gotrough on me at the scene while I was not resisting, and later at the police station he got caught by a superiorpunching me in the stomach while I was seated. He tried to force me to blow into a portable breathalizer, I told him i got somethng he can blow while I grabbed my crotch to show him exactly what I meant!

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
TheMrMitch wrote:
All Hell would break loose....at least for a few seconds.

Grapeshot....I like to say "You'd rather french kiss a rattlesnake than mess with me".:cool:
Sounds like a religious experience. :)

Yata hey
Only in certain parts of the Appalachians.:what:

Regards
Boyh, you sure got a purdy gun....

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

ixtow wrote:
This has gone too far.
Definitely did not mean it that strongly - my apologies to you, sir.

Thank you for you compliment as it was intended.

Yata hey

suntzu

imported post

Mo.Co. Original wrote:
Just curious on this one. As in like a public place regular citizen type deal.
the fight will be on. There will be no attempt to de-escalate the situation because the moment they try to put a hand on my sidearm it will be beyond de-escalation.

suntzu

imported post

Nutczak wrote:
N6ATF wrote:
HankT wrote:
Nutczak wrote:
I have been charged with battery of a public servant once already (the charges were laterdropped) whensomeone idiot grabbed me from behind and surprised me. I pushed into this unknown person to knock them off-balance and then came around with my other arm and punched this person in the chest as hard as I possibly could.
Imagine the look of shock on my face when I saw a sheriff's deputy landing on his ass and heard the wind getting knocked out of him, then the sound of him trying to catch his breath while on his hands and knees wheezing! The rest of the night got real ugly, real fast after that incident. I stopped after my initial hit, backed up and put my hands on top of my head to show surrender. Then the SOB tackeled me and tried to beat me whern I was not resisting.
Why were the charges dropped, Nutczak?
Sounds like the brutality in the last sentence would cover it.
The guy grabbed me from behind with no probable cause or identifying himself and his intentions, he gotrough on me at the scene while I was not resisting, and later at the police station he got caught by a superiorpunching me in the stomach while I was seated. He tried to force me to blow into a portable breathalizer, I told him i got somethng he can blow while I grabbed my crotch to show him exactly what I meant!
I hope you sued--and filed every possible complaint you could and made every attempt you could at having him arrested and charged....

And I would hope that the "deputy" learned his lesson and won't try to simply grab a holstered gun again without announcing himself...

oc4ever

imported post

In California, a person resisting a strong arm robbery, penal code 211,(which is what a gun grab is...) can use any and all reasonable force necessary to resist and overcome the attacker and effect an arrest. This includes deadly force if necessary. If the attempted robbery is occurring on you or even a bystander, the use of force is very liberal in California, it is just the gun laws that stink. Now if you fatally injure the robber during an attack, nothing is going to happen to you. Shooting a fleeing felon is also still legal here if it is the only method you have to effect an arrest of the criminal.

suntzu

imported post

oc4ever wrote:
In California, a person resisting a strong arm robbery, penal code 211,(which is what a gun grab is...) can use any and all reasonable force necessary to resist and overcome the attacker and effect an arrest. This includes deadly force if necessary. If the attempted robbery is occurring on you or even a bystander, the use of force is very liberal in California, it is just the gun laws that stink. Now if you fatally injure the robber during an attack, nothing is going to happen to you. Shooting a fleeing felon is also still legal here if it is the only method you have to effect an arrest of the criminal.
Who wants to effect an arrest--my concern would be making it clear that trying to take my sidearm was not the brightest move the person made.

oc4ever

imported post

suntzu,

I didn't say you had to effect an arrest. However the level of force the law allows to repel a gun grab(robbery) increases and then declines as the threat passes. In a arrest situation, the level of legal force allowed continues until the arrest is completed safely by the "victim".

So in the simplest of terms, you shoot the thief running away because you think he deserves it , your going to jail for murder. You shoot the thief running away while attempting to arrest him, justifiable homicide.

I don't mean that shooting anyone is to be done except to defend yourself or others, but if you do the words" I was in fear of my life and I was trying to arrest him", better make it into your vocabulary when the LEO's show up. Then let your attorney do the rest of the talking.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

oc4ever wrote:
suntzu,

I didn't say you had to effect an arrest. However the level of force the law allows to repel a gun grab(robbery) increases and then declines as the threat passes. In a arrest situation, the level of legal force allowed continues until the arrest is completed safely by the "victim".

So in the simplest of terms, you shoot the thief running away because you think he deserves it , your going to jail for murder. You shoot the thief running away while attempting to arrest him, justifiable homicide.

I don't mean that shooting anyone is to be done except to defend yourself or others, but if you do the words" I was in fear of my life and I was trying to arrest him", better make it into your vocabulary when the LEO's show up. Then let your attorney do the rest of the talking.
Cite for allowable deadly force to effect a citizens arrest in your state please.

(This is why everybody should show at least their home state in their profile.)

In Virginia, I think you well may be, what the prosecutor has for dinner.

Yata hey

simmonsjoe

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
oc4ever wrote:
suntzu,

Cite for allowable deadly force to effect a citizens arrest in your state please.

(This is why everybody should show at least their home state in their profile.)

In Virginia, I think you well may be, what the prosecutor has for dinner.

Yata hey
Good call. Grapeshot.

suntzu

imported post

oc4ever wrote:
Here is the problem I see with your theory:

If someone is fleeing you--that means their back is toward you, which means they at that particular point in time pose no threat to you, which means if you shoot them--you'll shoot them in the back....Yes I know they would not show you the same courtesy--but that is what is supposed to separate us from them.

Now if you're talking about open warfare then I have no problem with it--thing is--it isn't. We have no duty to effect an arrest--and more often than not, if you tried, it would be you being arrested unless you had plenty of witnesses to back you up.