Thread: 18 y/o acquiring handgun, and open carrying

Post imported post

Alright, so I'm interested in open carrying, as I cannot concealed carry until I'm 21 years of age. I also cannot purchase a handgun until I'm 21 years of age, so first I must acquire a handgun!

So how does one; 18 years of age acquire a handgun? I've heard there's some kind of "gift" system, but I'm not quite sure, I'd like to see some statues.

How do private firearm transfers work here in Oregon?
    (Obviously: I don't want to get nailed with a "straw purchase" charge )

Hope y'all can help me...

Thanks,

GreenJelly.

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

GreenJelly wrote:
    Alright, so I'm interested in open carrying, as I cannot concealed carry until I'm 21 years of age. I also cannot purchase a handgun until I'm 21 years of age, so first I must acquire a handgun!

So how does one; 18 years of age acquire a handgun? I've heard there's some kind of "gift" system, but I'm not quite sure, I'd like to see some statues.

How do private firearm transfers work here in Oregon?
    (Obviously: I don't want to get nailed with a "straw purchase" charge )

Hope y'all can help me...

Thanks,

GreenJelly.
    Your inquiry should be ascertain whether there isany Oregon law which precludes you from buying a handgun? Is there such a law? If not, then you can buy a handgun from a non-dealer. See our private transfers map o see what we are tracking for Oregon.

A so called "straw purchase charge" is a vague term relating to possible criminal liability under federal law when the "actual buyer" sends a straw to purchase the gun from a federal dealer. The law on this is a little all over the place - one court said the actual purchaser cannot be prosecuted for conspiracy, but another law said he could if he was under 21 - makes no sense to me, but obviously you want nothing to do with this problem, do you? So stay away from dealer guns - don't even think about them!

Post imported post