• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Member / Advice?

GuitarMan270

imported post

I've been "lurking" in these forums for the last week or so, and I have to say I love this forum. It seems like everybody here is very helpful and informative. I figured it was about time for me to become a member and put up a few posts.

I've recently applied for my CHP in Henrico, and have been considering open carry as an option in the warmer months or even in the meantime until I get my CHP. However, like most people new to carrying a weapon (though not new to handguns by any stretch), I'm a little nervous.

How often do you guys get stopped by LEOs or average citizens while openly carrying a weapon in Virginia? I'm 24 years old and typically dress in a polo, jeans, and sneakers (standard fare for IT guys like myself). I'm also a reasonably private person, and would prefer not to get all sorts of questions/hassle. Would it be prudent for me to "dress up" a bit more when I open carry to avoid a lot of questions?

Thanks in advance!

-Greg

hunter45

imported post

Welcome to the forum. :)

From my personal experience, dressing up really hasn't made a difference. Sometimes I wear khakis and a tucked in polo, and sometimes I wear jeans and an untucked t-shirt. I've never had any problems either way. But I'd say you are less likely to have any issues if you dress more professionally.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

GuitarMan270 wrote:
I've been "lurking" in these forums for the last week or so, and I have to say I love this forum. It seems like everybody here is very helpful and informative. I figured it was about time for me to become a member and put up a few posts.

I've recently applied for my CHP in Henrico, and have been considering open carry as an option in the warmer months or even in the meantime until I get my CHP. However, like most people new to carrying a weapon (though not new to handguns by any stretch), I'm a little nervous.

How often do you guys get stopped by LEOs or average citizens while openly carrying a weapon in Virginia? I'm 24 years old and typically dress in a polo, jeans, and sneakers (standard fare for IT guys like myself). I'm also a reasonably private person, and would prefer not to get all sorts of questions/hassle. Would it be prudent for me to "dress up" a bit more when I open carry to avoid a lot of questions?

Thanks in advance!

-Greg
Welcome to the madness Greg.
Dressing appropriately is helpful. Not necessarily dressed up, but looking like someone you wouldn't be nervous around if you saw yourself.

Stopped by the police...never. Spoken to, very rarely.

It's normal to be a little self conscious in the beginning.
There is a monthly OC dinner in the area.
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/34692.html

Why don't you plan on coming next week and meet everyone. The foods good and the Oc'ers are all very nice (except for Grapeshot and myself):lol:

GuitarMan270

imported post

Thanks for the warm welcome and quick responses! I figured as much. I'm a pretty methodical individual, so I like to have all my bases covered before I go out and do something. Perhaps at least a slight change in wardrobe would be warranted when I carry, then--especially since I live in the Far West End of Richmond. I wouldn't want all of the other yuppies here to freak out.

I'll definitely think about attending the dinner--we'll have to see how my calendar works out for next week. I'm excited about becoming part of the community on the forums and in Richmond.

-Greg

kasteer

imported post

GuitarMan270 wrote:

Thanks in advance!

-Greg

I'm new here myself and feel the same way... "self-conseous" maybe? I've got my CP permit nad have done that a bit, but the only time I wore my "regular" side holster I wore a jacket to help keep it concealed.

Hopefully time will make it easier.

GuitarMan270

imported post

kasteer71 wrote:
GuitarMan270 wrote:

Thanks in advance!

-Greg

I'm new here myself and feel the same way... "self-conseous" maybe?  I've got my CP permit nad have done that a bit, but the only time I wore my "regular" side holster I wore a jacket to help keep it concealed.

QFT

I'm a firm believer in the "if you're going to carry, do it all the time" philosophy, but I'm definitely finding it necessary to work up to that. I've been carrying around the house for the last week, and I've walked my dog around my apartment complex several times whilst openly carrying my weapon. I'm not sure when I'll get up the nerve to walk into a store or other public place with my XD .45 on my hip, though.

-Greg

streetdoc

imported post

When I first started carrying it was after I got my permit, later when I found out about VCDL and Open Carry I started carrying that way. My wife didn't care for me to OC around her, she was worried about what others would say or that it might make them uncomfortable. When we went out and bought her, her first gun things changed. The first thing that she wanted to do was to OC, that's when she really noticed that the general public is blind to what is going on around them, no wonder they make such good victims. She still prefers to conceal her gun but at least she has gotten over me OC'ing my gun. It'll take some time to be comfortable with yourself. So far, I have never received a negative comment, I have received positive comments, thumbs up when other drivers see me OC'ing on my motorcycle, or ask what I was actually carrying. Make sure that you stand up for your rights and attend Lobby Day in January if you can.

GuitarMan270

imported post

StreetDoc,

My wife has the same uneasy feelings, though perhaps to a greater extent. She grew up with a family that was into hunting, but being raised as a typical suburban "girly-girl" her exposure to guns was minimal. Handguns are a new thing for her, and her only exposure to them before we met was from movies (a very sad thing, I know).

At this point, she knows all the basic safety rules, and she's interested in learning more, but my lack of workable learning equipment (a .45 would be a bit much for her, and it's my only handgun at the moment) has put the process on hold until I can find some time to make it down to the Dominion indoor range on the south side.

Anyway... hopefully once she understands that guns should not be feared, but respected, she will feel a little less uneasy about me carrying.

Thanks for the good advice and encouraging words. I feel more confident about open carrying already.

-Greg

streetdoc

imported post

My wife only carries a .380, it has a 13 shot clip and very large hollow points, but the key thing is that she feels comfortable with it. I can't tell the difference between hers and my back-up .380 but she can. It boils down to she likes it and carries it with her all of time. We are fortunate in that when ever we want to go and shoot we just need to walk into the back yard. I like my 40 and wouldn't mind having a 45, i'm just not sure about having to stock another type of ammo and more clips it keep on hand.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

kasteer71 wrote:
GuitarMan270 wrote:

Thanks in advance!

-Greg

I'm new here myself and feel the same way... "self-conseous" maybe?  I've got my CP permit nad have done that a bit, but the only time I wore my "regular" side holster I wore a jacket to help keep it concealed.

Welcome to both of you. I think you will find this group to be friendly and helpful. In fact even when it appears that some of us are arguing, this may not always be the case as a little rough and tumble humor is the standard fair among some of the longer term members. In any case, when these folks meet up the events are always friendly and in the spirit of good fellowship. The suggestion that you attend one of these event to help you get comfortable/started with OC is a good one. But remember to consider bringing your wife/husband or significant other with you as (s)he would also be very welcome.

That is not to say that there aren't a few curmudgeons. Look for "Nap"py animals in the avatar or references to grapes, "Citizen"ship or flying in the handle as the tip off.:lol:

Regards

darthmord

imported post

Kids are welcome too. Sometimes we bring our kids to the OC dinners. It all just adds to the image that we are normal, law-abiding, citizens interested in exercising our rights... which is all we are really.

AEubanks

imported post

I know exactly how you feel man. I just moved here in late October and discovered the open carry forum within a week or so. Ever since, I open carry everywhere I go that I legally can. I typically dress in nice jeans or kaki shorts and polos (or with the weather right now I usually wear my Arkansas Razorbacks or nice Abercrombie hoodies). In the several weeks I have been OCing everywhere, I have only gotten :what: at once that I have noticed (and it was last night at auto zone in fact), and only had one person ask me about it so far, so I talked a bit, and gave them one of Ed's cards.

One thing that will really help you be more conformable I think is make sure you know the laws. I knew that they said that I could carry, but once I read them enough to REALLY know them, I felt comfortable because I knew that IF someone said something about it, I would be able to respond with confidence and not be stammering or saying something along the lines of "oh well I was told I could" or something like that.

GuitarMan270

imported post

AEubanks wrote:
I know exactly how you feel man. I just moved here in late October and discovered the open carry forum within a week or so. Ever since, I open carry everywhere I go that I legally can. I typically dress in nice jeans or kaki shorts and polos (or with the weather right now I usually wear my Arkansas Razorbacks or nice Abercrombie hoodies). In the several weeks I have been OCing everywhere, I have only gotten :what: at once that I have noticed (and it was last night at auto zone in fact), and only had one person ask me about it so far, so I talked a bit, and gave them one of Ed's cards.

One thing that will really help you be more conformable I think is make sure you know the laws. I knew that they said that I could carry, but once I read them enough to REALLY know them, I felt comfortable because I knew that IF someone said something about it, I would be able to respond with confidence and not be stammering or saying something along the lines of "oh well I was told I could" or something like that.

That's great advice. I've read some of the laws, but being decently fluent in them probably would help. Perhaps I'll take some time and study up a bit this evening.

On a related note:
I decided to be a bit more bold about OCing in and around my apartment complex this evening, so as soon as I got home from work, I put my weapon in my holster and went about my business. My wife and I decided to order chinese delivery for dinner. When I turned to grab a pen behind me, he did a double-take and asked, "Is that a 9mm or a .45?" I answered "It's a .45," to which he responded, "Are you in law enforcement?" I replied, "No, just an armed citizen." I kind of expected him to go catatonic on me, but he just replied, "Oh man! That's really cool! Have a great night!"

It's good to know people don't freak out like I thought they might!

Regular_Joe

imported post

GuitarMan270 wrote:
At this point, she knows all the basic safety rules, and she's interested in learning more, but my lack of workable learning equipment (a .45 would be a bit much for her, and it's my only handgun at the moment) has put the process on hold until I can find some time to make it down to the Dominion indoor range on the south side.
Excellent idea - I took my wife to Dominion so that she could try out a few different handguns - the gents at Dominion were great with explaining things and making her feel comfortable enough so that she could ask all the questions she had.

Try to pick a lane down on the left side as you enter - tends to be less crowded and less likely to have a loud handgun in the next stall.

My wife was interested in a semi-auto, so we started at the 9mm and worked up and down the caliber line a bit until she found what was comfortable (compact 9mm).

There were several ladies when we were there last - also made my wife feel like she wasn't intruding in the 'guys den'. You can check Dominion's site for a ladies day special.

Welcome to the forum, and let us know how the range trip goes!

AEubanks

imported post

GuitarMan270 wrote:
StreetDoc,

My wife has the same uneasy feelings....Anyway... hopefully once she understands that guns should not be feared, but respected, she will feel a little less uneasy about me carrying.

Thanks for the good advice and encouraging words. I feel more confident about open carrying already.

-Greg

My wife was uneasy for about a day--until the day after I started carrying there was a robbery in board daylight where two guys broke in and tied up the mother of the place and got away... It happened less than 2 miles from where we live (and mind you we had lived here about 3 weeks at most by this point). With it hitting close to home she became very supportive, very quickly.

As far as her shooting, I lucked out. Being a marksmanship instructor in the Marine Corps, I have been through schools to learn how to teach people who have never touched a gun how to shoot effectively. Granted it doesn't really take formal training to figure out how to teach someone to shoot, having done it so long I have learned how to more effectively and quickly get them where they need to be.

The other great tool that came along with being a marksmanship instructor is I was able to take her on base and go into the high tech pistol simulator that simulates recoil and everything. It has wonderful analyzing software so you can pinpoint the things that you can't really see from an outside view (sight alignment, sight picture, trigger control, etc.) So we shot on that for about an hour and I had her to the point I was confident that she would be able to effectively defend herself if somebody broke into our house while I wasn't there. Best part is, I didn't have to spend a dime on ammo. After that I took her to a live fire range where I had her shooting my Sig Mosquito .22. I've always enjoyed .22's because growing up in the country, I could go out on my back porch and shoot 22's all day and when 550 rounds is only like $20, it is cheap and fun.....

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

GuitarMan270 wrote:
AEubanks wrote:
"Are you in law enforcement?" I replied, "No, just an armed citizen." I kind of expected him to go catatonic on me, but he just replied, "Oh man! That's really cool! Have a great night!"

It's good to know people don't freak out like I thought they might!
This is VIRGINIA, my friend. Up north, they probably do go catatonic (there are treatments for that, fortunately) but here they are more likely to ask the make and caliber. This is traditional America, where people have more important things to do than freak out about something that is perfectly legal (Art. I, Sec 13 Virginia Commonwealth Constitution). I think its going on 4 years I have been OC'ing pretty regularly, and I haven't had any significant interactions about the issue.

Enjoy, exercise your rights proudly, and spend some time around all the reprobates here! :lol:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Welcome to the forum GuitarMan270, kasteer71, & AEubanks

If OC or simply carrying is new to you, be assured it does get easier the more you do it. Its a lot like dating - the first time or two you're worried about doing or saying the wrong thing and all sweaty palmed. After a while, you'll be telling your buddies, "It ain't nothing. It is also the responsible thing to do.

Not only do we have the monthly OC dinners, but we regularly have a smaller group meeting for breakfast each Sat. morning - look for posting Thurs. evening or Fri.

These meet-ups are excellent confidence builders and a good chance to hear the experiences of others. For a sampling of past events, check out the following link:
http://vagrapeshot.multiply.com/

Yata hey

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Guitarman270 and kasteer71;

Welcome aboard to the both of you! We're all happy to have you here.

As for dress, I spent 29 years in the IT field (from a programmer to a software engineer) so I too most always wore jeans, leather boat shoes, and a golf shirt in the nice months, a rugby in the cooler ones. While I have CC for many years, I just started OC'ing 2 1/2 years ago. It took me a bit to come around and for a few months, I was cautious and a might self-conscious. But this forum was a GREAT help for me to get over those initial humps.

As for being stopped by an LEO for carrying - never. And only one negative encounter with a civilian.

GuitarMan270

imported post

Again, thanks for all the kind words, everybody.

I'm looking forward to perhaps OCing a bit this weekend. I'll be reading up on the Richmond area OC thread, but do you guys have any tips on places I definitely should not go in the west end?