• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Member / Advice?

novasig226r

imported post

People who aren't aware of Virginia's position on gun carry seem to be the most "awestruck" when seeing one on the hip of a law-abiding citizen. Just yesterday I was at dinner with my wife at Ruby Tuesday's. Our server was from New York :shock: and was curious about my Sig.

Also, our population is made up of so many folks from other nations and they especially might be unaware of the 2A. The United States is really blessed to have the Constitution and Bill of Rights that we have since so many other nations have successfully disarmed their entire population.

I'm former military, so firearms are nothing new to me. Despite that, and because the military doesn't allow its troops to carry on a day-to-day basis :banghead:, I wasn't accustomed to carrying. I too was feeling like a criminal when Lord knows I'm a staunch Patriot and abide by the law. Though my experience to date is only four OC attempts, I'm getting more and more comfortable with the fact that I am, indeed, enjoying my fundamental liberties. :celebrate

I blame the media (especially) and Hollywood (despite the entertainment value) for the public-at-large becoming so damn afraid to see a gun. These days, unless one is a LEO, no one expects you to carry a gun. I could write a book on my feelings, but that's not really the topic.

Stay safe and always remember the Four Rules. I repeat them to myself so I will never forget them.

riverrat10k

imported post

I strongly urge you to go to a breakfast or dinner.

I had been CC'in a while and found this site. Had breakfast with Grapeshot and Skidmark one weekend. Two weekends later, I was meeting them OC!

Know the laws and don't act like a moron would be my only other advice. If you have time, come out to River City Diner off Parham tomorrow. Thread posted.

GuitarMan270

imported post

novasig226r wrote:

Stay safe and always remember the Four Rules.  I repeat them to myself so I will never forget them.

Amen to that. I try my best to say them in my head every time I put on my gun.

Do you guys/gals have any definitive resources for the laws on OCing and lethal force? I'm rather well versed on CC laws (I considered CC for about a year before I decided to go for it, so I did a lot of reading), but OC not so much.

Interesting point of fact: I believe the link about lethal force on the CHP application that I downloaded from the Virginia State Police website is no longer valid.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

GuitarMan270 wrote:
novasig226r wrote:

Stay safe and always remember the Four Rules. I repeat them to myself so I will never forget them.

Amen to that. I try my best to say them in my head every time I put on my gun.

Do you guys/gals have any definitive resources for the laws on OCing and lethal force? I'm rather well versed on CC laws (I considered CC for about a year before I decided to go for it, so I did a lot of reading), but OC not so much.

Interesting point of fact: I believe the link about lethal force on the CHP application that I downloaded from the Virginia State Police website is no longer valid.
There are no "laws on OCing" per se. Virginia laws tell you what you cannot do, not what you can do. So if it's not in there, it's legal.

As for the use of deadly force, I strongly recommend that you attend some courses (member ProShooter is a good start). Also pickup the "Virginia Gun Owner's Guide". And this forum has some excellent information - try using the search to see what comes up.

It is good that you have asked this question. I fear too many people go out and buy a defensive handgun without taking the time to learn as much as possible about our state's laws regarding the use of deadly force. Here are a few basics to give you a point of reference and get you started in your search.

o You may use deadly force to defend yourself, a loved one, or a third party if you are in imminent fear of serious bodily harm. You need not be in fear of death, though that would certainly qualify. You may do this provided you are not a party to the altercation/encounter, or its escalation unless and until you have retreated to a point to where you may no longer retreat.

o Virginia is a "no duty to retreat state" (stand your ground state) which means that if you have a legal right to be where you are, you do not have to retreat before using deadly force (see above).

What constitutes serious bodily harm? Broken bones, lacerations requiring sutures, temporary unconsciousness, disfigurement, burns, concussion. This is a good sample list.

The five felonies (threats of) which may warrant deadly force are rape, robbery, burglary, arson, and murder.

Hope this helps and INAL.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

It's not the West end, but Zeus and I are going to Bass Pro sometime tomorrow. PM Me if you'd like to meet up. That's a good place to start OC'ing.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

GuitarMan270 wrote:
Again, thanks for all the kind words, everybody.

I'm looking forward to perhaps OCing a bit this weekend. I'll be reading up on the Richmond area OC thread, but do you guys have any tips on places I definitely should not go in the west end?
Wachovia and BB&T are still unfriendly as are most movie theaters - other than that nope, can't think of a place - I OC 24/7 except in unfriendly places, then I cc :).

Will look for you at breakfast - hope you can make it.

Yata hey

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
GuitarMan270 wrote: :).

Will look for you at breakfast - hope you can make it.

Yata hey
Oh...$h^t. It's Friday, not Saturday :uhoh:

No wonder I didn't see any dogs:banghead:
I'll try to get to RCD tomorrow.
I'm getting very old. I'll have to pin my name and address on my jacket soon.:(:(:(

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

gsl.jpg

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
As for the use of deadly force, I strongly recommend that you attend some courses (member ProShooter is a good start). Also pickup the "Virginia Gun Owner's Guide". And this forum has some excellent information - try using the search to see what comes up.

Thank you SouthernBoy.

Guitarman - we'll be happy to assist you in any way that we can.

GuitarMan270

imported post

Thanks for all the responses.

SouthernBoy, you make a good point about the laws telling you what you can't do, and thanks for the deadly force primer. It definitely backs up what I'd heard previously from my concealed carry instructor and other places on the 'net.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it much of anywhere tomorrow (my wife and I own a graphic design/photography business that keeps us rather busy), but I'm definitely aiming for the dinner on Tuesday. Hopefully my schedule agrees.

Edit: Going to use the search function before I go posting any more redundant questions. ;)

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:

Thank you SouthernBoy.

Guitarman - we'll be happy to assist you in any way that we can.
You're welcome. I honestly believe anyone who is of a mind to carry a firearm for self defense, owes it to themselves to learn as much as they can about not only their rights, but what constitutes excusable behavior in the event they ever have to use it. I have learned so much in the past 2 1/2 years and the one thing that stands out is how much I still need to learn.

I applaud our new member who has asked these questions and hopefully take this step to educate and prepare himself. I really wish more would do this.

Glock27Bill

imported post

I always try to dress reasonably well...jeans with a collared shirt.

I can honestly state that folks have noticed my gun less often than I have noticed guns worn by others.

I have had 2 people ask me about carrying, both were positive and informative (not anti by any means).

I spent nearly 1/2 hour discussing carry rights in VA with a woman who sat at my table at Famous Daves in Oakton. She just got married and moved to VA from DC, so her curiosity over the sight of an average citizen openly carrying got the better of her.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

GuitarMan270 wrote:
...SNIP

Edit: Going to use the search function before I go posting any more redundant questions. ;)

The only stupid questions are those you do not ask. Better to have a repeat question, than to have someone make a misstep for want of education.

Regards

kasteer

imported post

Regular_Joe wrote:
GuitarMan270 wrote:
At this point, she knows all the basic safety rules, and she's interested in learning more, but my lack of workable learning equipment (a .45 would be a bit much for her, and it's my only handgun at the moment) has put the process on hold until I can find some time to make it down to the Dominion indoor range on the south side.
Excellent idea - I took my wife to Dominion so that she could try out a few different handguns - the gents at Dominion were great with explaining things and making her feel comfortable enough so that she could ask all the questions she had.

Try to pick a lane down on the left side as you enter - tends to be less crowded and less likely to have a loud handgun in the next stall.

My wife was interested in a semi-auto, so we started at the 9mm and worked up and down the caliber line a bit until she found what was comfortable (compact 9mm).

There were several ladies when we were there last - also made my wife feel like she wasn't intruding in the 'guys den'. You can check Dominion's site for a ladies day special.

Welcome to the forum, and let us know how the range trip goes!
I def want to take my wife to the range, the best part is she really like shooting. Bad part is that she has a diff time cocking either of my 9's. I'm looking to get a small 38 for CC inmy pocket and I think this will make things easier. Also want a 22 for several reasons... cheap ammo andwife/daughter can shoot it. BTW, how old do kids need to be to shoot at Dominion?

kasteer

imported post

Sorry, just catching up on posts...

I've carried in Wal Mart, Video game store, Gas station... all CC. I need to OC!!!! ...of course I OC around the house tho.

My other issue is... I have2yo and an 8yo kids. I want them to be aware and educated, but at what point do I expose them? The older one has seen my weapons, but that's it. The younger one is much more curious and is a trouble makeer... I have to be careful around her. I expect the majority of you to support exposing kids at a young age, but do you have any advise on how?

On deadly force... I've read up on that and I think I have a good grasp of it. The LAST thing I want to do is shoot someone and I will not draw unless I intend to use it. I think it will take a serious situation for me to draw it. I have military background and training so I'm confident handling it, but until I'm actually tested in real life... all I can do is think it through and prepare. I will not let my family, nor myself, be harmed.

GuitarMan270

imported post

I've been looking at the Ruger LCP or the S&W Airweight 642, personally. My intention is to have it as a gun that my wife can shoot and (eventually) conceal in her camera bag while she is out on a photo shoot.

On the Dominion website, it says anyone under 18 must be accompanied by parent/legal guardian and have direct supervision. I'm not sure if that means they don't have a minimum age, though.

As to the age thing, I would think it's a YMMV (your mileage may vary) kind of thing. I started shooting when I was about 5 years old, but I know some 5-year-olds that I wouldn't trust with a rock, let alone a gun.

Just a quick side-question: I've heard it's illegal to "print" in some states. Is this the case in Virginia? I haven't been able to find anything on this forum specifically about our state.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

GuitarMan270 wrote:
snip....
Just a quick side-question: I've heard it's illegal to "print" in some states. Is this the case in Virginia? I haven't been able to find anything on this forum specifically about our state.
No constraints on "printing" in Virginia; although some will incorrectly say that concealed means concealed, there is no statute so stating.

Since anyone legal entitled to a CHP can OC, it negates the question of printing.

Yata hey

darthmord

imported post

kasteer71 wrote:
My other issue is... I have2yo and an 8yo kids. I want them to be aware and educated, but at what point do I expose them? The older one has seen my weapons, but that's it. The younger one is much more curious and is a trouble makeer... I have to be careful around her. I expect the majority of you to support exposing kids at a young age, but do you have any advise on how?

I've got a 2 year old myself. She doesn't even bat an eyelash at my firearms. She looks at them funny. I've explained to her in her terms (lots of arm gesturing and simple words like BOOM! with wide eyes) and she all but ignores my firearms.

As for the 8 year old, take him/her to the range. Show them first hand. I had my first firearm when I was 5 years old (34 now). It was a Daisy pump action BB gun. I ran all over the yard with it. My grandfather used it as my first training device for firearm safety.

One of the first things I diid for all my kids when we bought our first handguns was show them the firearms, explain the pertinent details,and then after going to the range, show them the targets. Once they got to join us at the range, they realized quite clearly that firearms are NOT toys. They have not asked even once for toy guns of any kind. Guns in their minds are not toys but serious business, as well they should be.