• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is a rail gun a firearm?

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

It seems that according to the penal code, firearms are devices which use an explosive or some kind of combustion to accelerate a projectile. A rail gun uses electromagnets. So a rail gun isn't a firearm, and isn't subject to any restrictions that a firearm is. Objections?

jrwalker

imported post

no objections what-so-ever. I have built many rail guns and I would go to court any day to uphold that a rail run is NOT a firearm by CA penal code definition. Granted, I live in Nevada so it'sa non-issue over here.However, be carefull with this one because if you did bring it up, that might be one more restriction they want to add to the penal code...

AyatollahGondola

imported post

bigtoe416 wrote:
It seems that according to the penal code, firearms are devices which use an explosive or some kind of combustion to accelerate a projectile. A rail gun uses electromagnets. So a rail gun isn't a firearm, and isn't subject to any restrictions that a firearm is. Objections?
May not be a firearm, but there may be other codes that apply. Switchblades for example; not firearms but still require a permit to possess. I'd take a hard look at the codes before I put anything to the test.

coolusername2007

imported post

Please DO NOT build rail guns at this time. There is not a definitive right to build rail guns at this time. Wait 7 months...or is it 7 years...or, well whatever. Sorry couldn't help myself.

demnogis

imported post

I believe the phrase is Two Weeks™.

coolusername2007 wrote:
Please DO NOT build rail guns at this time. There is not a definitive right to build rail guns at this time. Wait 7 months...or is it 7 years...or, well whatever. Sorry couldn't help myself.

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

Rail gun:
standard.jpg