• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Picture this - PLEASE READ...kind of long

tygereye

imported post

Picture this - PLEASE READ...kind of long

There is a single mother of 3 kids, 2 of which are under the age of 5, the other is 12. Her ex-husband is verbally abusive, and in an attempt to prove a point with the 12 year old (who is not his child), forcefully turned her head in the direction he wanted. This didn't actually harm the child, but is physical nonetheless. He has verbally threatened the mother's life, claiming the use of his shotgun. She attempted to file a PPO against this man, and it was denied, ignoring the threat on her life.

Since her divorce, she started dating another man, and that relationship did not work out. The ex boyfriend - who is also armed - is now stalking and harassing her and other friends/family members. The police in 2 counties have been involved, and are considering his actions as stalking.

The mother is a full time nursing student, surviving mainly on school grants of about $1000 a month, and government aid which only helps her to get food.

For her protection, and the protection of her kids, she needs and wants a pistol, and her CPL. However, at this point she cannot afford either. I am certain she would return the favor to the best of her ability when she can. I realize this is asking a lot, but this person is part of my family, and I do not want her left unprotected. I am asking if anyone would be willing to donate cash to help her get a pistol, her CPL class, and application, or if someone is willing to gift an unused firearm.

Thank you for reading.

tygereye

imported post

springerdave wrote:
I think she meant one that wasn't presently being used;).springerdave.

edit: beat me :cool:.
:D Not only that, she would most likely give it right back, as soon as she was able to purchase her own...

PDinDetroit

imported post

A CPL will take a while and for a pistol she will need a Purchase Permit as one cannot "just be loaned" (kinda messy to transfer a pistol back and forth).

Might I suggest a shotgun, 20 gauge type with #3 Buckshot, they are very inexpensive at Dunhams (less than $350) and she can get one today!

EM87

imported post

I can't donate a gun, but I could give a small amount of money to go towards a CPL class or a handgun fund. Maybe if you/she asked, she could take the MOC CPL class at a discounted rate. I can't speak for them, but it's worth asking.

It seems at this point that saving for a gun is more important than saving for the CPL, because even without the CPL she could still have it on her person while at home, and could open carry when not at home as well. That's a lot better than nothing! And of course, she can still become proficient at the range without a CPL.

P.S. I was expecting to read a whole page... that wasn't a long post. :p

EM87

imported post

PDinDetroit wrote:
A CPL will take a while and for a pistol she will need a Purchase Permit as one cannot "just be loaned" (kinda messy to transfer a pistol back and forth).

Might I suggest a shotgun, 20 gauge type with #3 Buckshot, they are very inexpensive at Dunhams (less than $350) and she can get one today!

+1 for the shotgun idea.

For home defense, a shotgun is the best weapon to have. Like PD said, you don't need to go get a purchase permit to buy a shotgun. You can just go out and get one. The store will just run a background check on you while you wait.

As for carrying outside the home, yes, she would need a handgun. But if the main focus right now is safety inside the home, a shotgun could be bought today and could stay in the house.

tygereye

imported post

PDinDetroit wrote:

Yes, a shotgun is great for home defense, and she has our brothers shotgun at her home, and although, she knows how to use it, and is as prepared as she can be to use it, it does her no good when she has to leave the house. She also has mischievous children, and can't keep it in a good, "ready to use" location. With a pistol, and holster, she could have it on her person at all times. With out a CPL, this doesn't do her much good, because the main place she goes to other than school, (which she can't have a pistol on her anyway) is a department store that sells alcohol. Which is why I would like to be able to get her a CPL.

I don't know the specifics of "gifting" a handgun from one person to another. If that is a difficult process, then purhaps a very cheap sale, keeping the intent to return the pistol to original owner.

I don't normally ask for help from anyone, much less on a public forum. I would pay for the whole thing myself, but just can't afford it.

Thanks again, for any considerations, and for reading.

Radioman

imported post

Hey Tigereye

The issue is transfer of ownership and not gifting. Since she does not have a CPL at this time any pistol that she were to carry would have to be transfered into her name. This will need a Purchase Permit issued by her local PD and then another by the person the "Loan" was from when the pistol was returned or at the time that she obtained her CPL and no longer needed to have the pistol in her name.

By the way ... PM sent

Radioman

autosurgeon

imported post

I would say for an inexpensive pistol in 9mm a Hi Point. I have one and it just plain works. It is rather ugly but it just works and they can be had for under 200.00 bucks NIB lifetime warrenty and Made in the USA .. Ohio to be exact.

Michigander

imported post

I am confident that a CPL teacher can be arranged to give her a free class if her story can be verified. (Not that I doubt you, just saying that a teacher would want to know it's true if he or she will just give away a class)

As far as a gun, I suggest a CZ82. At about 200 bucks, it's a tough deal to beat.

In the mean time, it is critical that she be armed. A temporary CPL can be issued, I believe without even taking a class, and I believe the temporary CPL's might even allow her to carry at school.

Another short termoption isammoniated cleaner in apop top water bottle, one of the best short range weapons in existence if an aggressor isn't wearing water goggles. OR, if permanent blindness isn't desired, home made pepper spray would work in the water bottle, which negates any concern about pepper percentages, and ensures brutal effectiveness.

Using what happened to she fears nothing as a lesson, it's critical thatany woman in this sort of situation gets helped out immediately.

autosurgeon

imported post

I would agree on the CZ 82 and would recomend Hornady XTP's as carry ammo for it.

I still think if a gun for which ammo can be purchased off the shelf is desired then a Hi Point C9 would be the ticket.

WARCHILD

imported post

There is no problem with transferring a handgun that I have experienced. There doesn't have to be a sale price disclosure. You can gift it to anyone that can legally obtain it. It's not like a vehicle or something that has a tax associated with the sale. My brother, myself, and my son have swapped my Taurus 9mm back and forth more than a dozen times with no problem. Anyone can transfer a gun to her after she gets a purchase permit and when the time comes, she can transfer it back if that's what is decided.

Jblack44

imported post

Is she someone that knows about guns, and has shot them before? Is she aware of all the laws pertaining to carrying a weapon and possibly having to use it? I would hate to offer up something and thenit's used unlawfully and she ends up in jail. And me possibly being tied to it by transfering/selling the weaponto her.

Not trying to discourage her from protecting herself! In fact I appauld it. I wish more women would do it.

PM me if you'd like to talk more

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Just my two cents...

Even if she has the funding, it's going to take some time to obtain her CPL (class, application process, range time, etc). I would suggest, for the time being, she is brought up to date with lawful OC without CPL. Based on the OP, any protection is better than nothing until she can obtain her license.

tygereye

imported post

JBlack - Yes she knows a little about guns, and has had a crash course in the gun laws. She has shot a few handguns, and I will make sure to take her and get her lots of practice.

Michigander - I will look into the temporary CPL, that would be great, if it would last until her permanent one comes in. Thanks for the info!!

I have a paypal acct, so for those wishing to donate to this, here isthe web address
https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=marketing_us/send_money

I guess all you need is my email address,Please PM me for my email address, as I do not want it published. Thank You.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Tyger, If I remember correctly (IIRC), a temporary CPL only applies in two situations in Michigan. The first would be to those who renew at least 60 days prior to their CPL expiration date that are not denied or approved by that date and are given an 180 day extension on their existing CPL. The second one would be a temporary issued to hunters (deer, small game, etc), but only while they are hunting-it would not cover them while in their vehicle, IIRC.