• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fire Safe from Costco - $579

HeesBonafide

imported post

I was just perusing the Costco monthly coupon clipper and they had a Cannon Safe EX20 (19.44 Cu Ft) Fire Safe on sale for $579 with Shipping included.

It comes with an electronic lock and 3 point handle.

Here is the link if anyone is interested: http://tinyurl.com/yzzdfyx

triehl27

imported post

YEah and if you buy one in the store it's $499, and they will help get it into the truck... getting it out is your problem... BUT WAIT

If you spend $579 they'll put it in your driveway or curb whichever is handier. Moving it from there is your problem.

So for $80 you save the driving. You are still left with getting it into the hous or apartment.

Had a long talk with the Costco peeps today down in Tukwila. I think i'll have some friends over next weekend for a "Holiday" get together. Maybe they'll help me since they'll be handy. might forget to tell um before hand too. OOOOOPS.

Stryker

imported post

I bought the $499 in-store Winchester model and am very happy with it. 1" bolts x 10 covering all four sides. Looks nearly identical to the online version. Bolted to the floor and tricked out with home-brew interior lighting. One less thing to worry about when away from home.

fire suppressor

imported post

how many long guns will it hold? I may need more room that that. I read the link and definitely liked the built in humidor

brianstone1985

imported post

Ok Dumb question but I live in Spokane where I dont worry at all about Humidity...

What is the point of having a humidifier in your safe? Why would one want such a thing?

storing cigars?

29er

imported post

It's a nice Residential Security Container. You might want to check out the Youtube vids showing these being forced open in one minute or less before you buy. Try a search for 'Head to Head safe pry test'. Good luck!

PavePusher

imported post

brianstone1985 wrote:
Ok Dumb question but I live in Spokane where I dont worry at all about Humidity...

What is the point of having a humidifier in your safe? Why would one want such a thing?

storing cigars?
I think he meant "de-humidifier"...

:celebrate

crust

imported post

The head to head pry test is set up and funded by the liberty safe company. They purposely block the angle of the second guy because he isn't working very hard to pry. It is disturbing that the other safe can be opened at all, however without being there to witness the job it ishard tell if the door was properly locked or if the competitor safe doorhad been compromised. Hopefully the upright, bolted to the floor position with decrease the success of this happening. I am not for or against either safe because I am currently shopping for one myself. For you shoppers out there, critically judge things for yourself.

FMCDH

imported post

Judging by the price and features, this must be a re-branded and custom for Costco safe from Cannon's "Patriot" line.

http://www.cannonsafe.com/

What I dont like is that I dont see anything on any of the product statistics that says how many locking bolts each safe has. Even their product videos omit it. Ill have to see this safe for myself, but it looks like this one only has the 4 bolts on the one side.

Trigger Dr

imported post

Wholesale Sports (formerly Sportsman's Warehouse) sells the Browning and Yukon Gold (Browning with cosmetic differences). During the time I worked there, we sold 3 different mfg safe.

The fire rating is one thing to be aware of. Most companies start the clock when they start the "burn" on the safe, and run it until the temp gets to 1200 degrees. Browning starts the clock when the temp reaches 1200 and continues for 30 minutes.

The locking system on the Browning uses an eccentric element that prevents drilling and striking the locking bars to defeat the lock. I will not explain how this can be done on this forum, but if you ask me at one of the OC dinners, I will explain it in detail. Takes less than 3 minutes to explain, and about 5 minutes to do.

Check the floor of the safe, if there is a lip on the door jamb, the safe will hold water after a fire. YOU WILL GET WATER IN A SAFE DURING A FIRE. Check the depth of insulation around the door and the top of the safe. Determine the type insulation also. It should be a drywall type that will hold water by absorption. This helps in keeping the interior cool.

The easiest way to rip a safe is from the back side. A safe bolted to the floor with the back to an INTERIOR wall is the best .