• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VCDL Lobby Day was on Martin Luther King's birthday - Monday, January 18th.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

Lobby day is just over a month away and with the holidays coming it may be easy to overlook until it is too late. Lots of new folks both here on OCDO and VCDL might not even know what lobby day is... Lobby day is when hundreds of us (600+ last year) head down to Richmond and talk to our representatives about what bills we would like introduced, passed, shot down, etc. It "beats" a letter writing campaign as the legislators see people face to face and hear their stories and concerns. Note: Open Carry in the buildingis allowed ONLY with a CHP permit.

We go to local places for lunch and then listen to exciting speakers in the courtyard and celebrate our accomplishments! Watch for VCDL annoucements but meanwhile, take off work and SAVE THE DATE. This is the big one!

Ed

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Lobby Day - Jan. 18, 2010

By all means write it down, plan ahead to be there.

This is your chance to be part of history, to make a difference.
We have a pro general assembly and pro executive branch but there are fence sitters and nay sayers still - we need the strongest possible showing of supporters for our RTBA.

Nothing speaks louder than a sea of people flowing through the halls of the General Assembly Building proudly wearing GSL stickers and buttons. Your voice was heard in the polling places. Now let it be heard by your elected representatives. Leave no doubt what we expect!

You cannot afford to let Mikey do it - we need YOU!

Yata hey

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Mr. Saslaw cannot be allowed to believe his remark can keep us away. Wonder if the music shop rents banjos by the day?

From what we have observed of the "dance in the blood of the victims" crowd we can expect them not only to try to be out in force, but to be as vocal as possible. The latest trick was an attempt to mock the GSL stickers with their own very pale orange ones saying "People Save Lives" - worn at the last Richmond City Council meeting.

Remember their trick of getting into the hearing room ahead of the scheduled start of the hearing, and packing the seats? We need to have folks arriving early andgetting seatsthe hearing rooms. Also, instead of the overflowmoving around the corner to be "polite" and give room for the press interviews we need to stay in front of the hearing rooms. We can be just as polite in that hallway as we were before when we were around the corner.

Bring your friends, your neighbors, and if you have them bring your kids. You can deduct your expenses for educational trips with your kids from your income taxes, so teach them how government works.

stay safe.

skidmark

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

skidmark wrote:
snip.....
From what we have observed of the "dance in the blood of the victims" crowd we can expect them not only to try to be out in force, but to be as vocal as possible. The latest trick was an attempt to mock the GSL stickers with their own very pale orange ones saying "People Save Lives" - worn at the last Richmond City Council meeting.
I actually like their PSL stickers - I want to wear one behind my GSL stcker so that it reads People (with) Guns Save Lives. :lol: :p :lol:

Yata hey

zoom6zoom

imported post

Looks like corporate decided to schedule our annual conference out of state for that week, dammit! (who the heck holds a conference in Minnesota in January? That's what Vegas is for!) But I would be happy to loan you my banjo, Skid! It's badly out of tune but still sounds better than Saslaw.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

simmonsjoe wrote:
I'll be there. I have a CHP so I'll OC like 3-4 guns to make up for youse who can't

It's been done before, and by someone a lot better looking than you. Search for "Three-gun Kim".:lol:

However, this should not be construed in any way as an attempt to stop you from doing so. If anything, it's a plea for you to NOT wear a skirt.

stay safe.

skidmark

ClumsyCandy

imported post

I'll be there with my traveling companions retired Aunt, and if I can convince him to take the day off work, the birthday boy! It's my traveling companions birthday that day, so I told him its even more important that he take that day off!

simmonsjoe

imported post

skidmark wrote:
Mr. Saslaw cannot be allowed to believe his remark can keep us away. Wonder if the music shop rents banjos by the day?

Remember their trick of getting into the hearing room ahead of the scheduled start of the hearing, and packing the seats? We need to have folks arriving early andgetting seatsthe hearing rooms. Also, instead of the overflowmoving around the corner to be "polite" and give room for the press interviews we need to stay in front of the hearing rooms. We can be just as polite in that hallway as we were before when we were around the corner.

Bring your friends, your neighbors, and if you have them bring your kids. You can deduct your expenses for educational trips with your kids from your income taxes, so teach them how government works.

stay safe.

skidmark
I Find this remarkably hilarious as I thought half the point of the 'guns save lives' stickers was to be ironic because obviously guns can't save lives, just as guns don't kill people. I thought it was a pun to point out how silly these ANTIs can be and their new stickers show they just don't get it.

So when it gets you what you want, you can BLAME OBJECT NOT ACTIONS
But if it doesn't get what you want, then you BLAME ACTIONS NOT OBJECTS.

Make a choice and stick with it otherwise your just showing how obviously irrational you are. I personally LOVE the PEOPLE SAVE LIVES stickers because that is the whole point! It is peoples ACTIONS that count not some piece of metal.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Just a reminder for those that do not know regarding guns in the General Assembly Building or the Capital Building.

You may OC or CC, but only with a CHP. Do not look for the statute - there is none. It is a GA Joint Rules Committee Resolution.

No sign in is required, just show your CHP and approved ID. A special entrance will likely be open for CHP holders similar to last year - look for updates.

Yata hey

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I took the day off work to be there. You can count me in!

I have a suggestion. Even though there was some kind of hiccup with the hearing last year we all need to know where the hearing rooms are. I had no idea where they were last year. I agree with Skid 100% that we need to make our presence known inside and outside in the halls if necessary.

I am sick of the dirty tricks of the anti's. I want to be heard.

BTW if anyone knows the date of the antithesis of lobby day, when the Brady Bunch has there Anti-American commie rally let me know. I like to show up to their rally too.

Pagan

imported post

OK well this will be the first timeI have ever gone to the GA building, andI do have my CHP, so OC for me is a go, but I have no idea where the hearing rooms are. Should we coordinate a meet up with those that are more familiar with the layout of the building? Veterans of this event would be extrememly helpful for us rookies, also if we do coordinate a meeting place with the members of this board, should we do it via PM and not out in the open on the forum? AmI the only one concerned with this?

This is gonna be soo cool!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Pagan wrote:
OK well this will be the first timeI have ever gone to the GA building, andI do have my CHP, so OC for me is a go, but I have no idea where the hearing rooms are. Should we coordinate a meet up with those that are more familiar with the layout of the building? Veterans of this event would be extrememly helpful for us rookies, also if we do coordinate a meeting place with the members of this board, should we do it via PM and not out in the open on the forum? AmI the only one concerned with this?

This is gonna be soo cool!
When time is set for the meet-up, there will be Lobby Day veterans there at least 1/2 hour before that at each entrance. They main lobby is the initial rallying point - just look for the orange GSL stickers. The lobby will be a veritable sea of orange!! :celebrate

There is talk (plan?) of a pre-lobby day seminar. Team coordinators will be there and have a preassigned agenda. You will be attached to an "old hand" without a doubt.

Numbers of people are important - bring family, friends, neighbors - spread the word. BTW - You will have at least as much fun as we had at the Freedom Rally at Innsbrook.

More details to follow.

Yata hey

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

No, Pagan. You are not the only one concerned about it. I mentioned the same thing in the post above yours.

Pagan

imported post

I am in Gloucester and could meet up with others at the York county Walmart or Super K, right off of 64 west. I also have a van and could transport 6 adults comfortably, myself included. Send me a PM if interested.