• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Great experience with Local police

Glock_21Carrier

imported post

Just got in from my hour jog around town. I always go armed, and in rocky warmth gear to boot. I carry a glock 21t in a serpa lvl3 at 3'o clock side.

About halfway through my jog, a local city police car drove by my strong side from behind and passed, not slowing at all. "i of course thought he didn't even notice" this apprehension was alleviated as he soon made another pass towards me, again not slowing and making no notion i was committing a crime or suspicious.

He then stopped and went stationary in the open lot in the middle of my jogging area "which is in the middle of town on sidewalks."

At no time was I stopped or questioned or even looked at in a suspicious manner. and I finished my jog and went right past him no more than 18ft away on the side walk across his stationary position.

I was pleased.

I even placed a call on my cool down walk back to my residence to complement the shift sergeant.

CALL as Spoken

DEPT. Bluefield City police department.

ME. Non emergency call, id like to place a compliment to one of your on duty officers.

DEPT. One moment ill transfer you to shift sergeant.

SGT. Sgt ***** how can i help you.

Me. This is ******* id like to compliment one of your officers sir

SGT. Ok who was it.

ME. Well Sgt, are you familiar with open carry?

Sgt. Yes open carry

ME. Id like to complement your officer, I was a jogger that was open carrying and he showed allot of respect to us, and we appreciate that.

SGT. Yeah he radioed me about that.

ME. Alright, well i sincerely do appreciate it, and its a great sign of respect to law abiding citizens, while remaining alert this time of year as well.

SGT. Thank you.

ME. thank you, bye

END

So even though the officer on duty was not aware of the legality, he radioed in to confirm. This doesnt particularly suprise me, but It is better than getting his feet wet just to have to let me go, and be embarassed.

The process they followed in this situation got a compliment instead of a complaint.

The Sgt didnt seem to care about OC in the sence he appreciated it. But acceptance is a fantastic step.

Glocky

"sorry im not as active, Im busy seeing how im the only open carrier in my town other than the police :p"

wylde007

imported post

Glock_21Carrier wrote:
The Sgt didnt seem to care about OC in the sence he appreciated it. But acceptance is a fantastic step.
It's not up to him to "accept".

However, your "non" experience (in that there was no LEO-initiated contact) serves to show that not ALL of the minions of the state are completely without some sense of character and reason.

hunter45

imported post

I've been trying to find an effective way to carry while jogging. I can't carry with my Serpa @ 3:00 like I normally would, there's just too much bouncing around. I usually go running around midnight, so I'd like to find something that works so I don't have to go out unarmed like I've been doing.

Marco

imported post

I'm not familiar with the G21t, can you explain???
Just busting your chops.

Also, it is usually just stated as 3 o'clock, no need to add side as there is only one 3 o'clock the opposite or left side would be9 o'clock.

3o'clock would be at/near the seam of the pants (center line).

Non event encounters with LEO's are agood thing.

ETA:
oops

Marco

imported post

hunter45 wrote:
I've been trying to find an effective way to carry while jogging. I can't carry with my Serpa @ 3:00 like I normally would, there's just too much bouncing around. I usually go running around midnight, so I'd like to find something that works so I don't have to go out unarmed like I've been doing.
Look at their chest holsters.
http://www.survivalsheath.com/holsters/index.htm

I don'thave a dog in this fight.

Glock_21Carrier

imported post

hunter 45 "there's just too much bouncing around"

I wear my rocky shirt tucked in and use a galls ride up protector. kinda a rubber band. my gun does not move a single bit ever.

Glock 21sf haha, no idea why i said t, It has a different rail.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Citizen wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
Any non-encounter is a good encounter. :p :)
This is why I've had so many "good" encounters with you, Grape. :):p
That goes counter to what I herd. :)

HerdingCats.JPG

Yata hey