• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A D in the Jacksonville Mall

PT 24/7

imported post

JPD confirms shooting at mall

December 04, 2009 5:08 PM

Updated at 5:29 p.m.

At approximately 4:30 p.m., the JPD received a phone call that there was a woman shot at the mall, said Capt. Billy Houston with the Jacksonville Police Department.

"We were able to determine through a preliminary investigation that there was a business owner who was leaving his business ... he spoke with (a couple patrons) and he had a gun in a case, and the gun fell to the ground and an accidental discharge (occurred), where the gun accidentally discharged," Houston said.

The victim was transported to Onslow Memorial Hospital where she is being treated at this time. Houston said he is not sure of the extent of the injuries.

The incident occurred in a service entrance hallway, not in the public portion of the mall, according to Houston.

Further information is not yet available.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I do hope the woman is ok.

I would like to know what kind of gun this guy has. It was in a cases, it was loaded, it was ready to fire. A collision with the ground caused it to go off. Someone needs a new, "safer" gun.

buzzsaw

imported post

I not only want to know what gun it was but also what the "Old Fart" (70 YO) was doing in an area that has been posted for "no weapons" since the CC law in North Carolina was passed. I know when they posted it because that is the last time I shopped in that Mall. He is supposedly a business owner in the Mall but that just means that he leases space. As far as I know there isn't a provision in the CC laws making an exception for CC because you weren't shopping.

Dreamer

imported post

Buzzsaw,

If this business owner had written permission from the property owner, then it would be Ok for him to carry.

Also, since he is a leasee, it is OK for him to carry on his own "property", just like if someone who rented a house wanted to carry, but not let other people carry on the property...

Personally, I think he should have been carrying it in a holster, not a case. If it were properly holstered, it would never have fallen and this whole incident would never have happened.

This incident is actually a good example why OC or CC (when properly holstered) are actually SAFER than carrying a firearm around in a case or a bag or something. We should be pushing that point, not his age, or the arbitrary nature of the "no guns" posted signs, or whatever.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Agreed, and to add to my point earlier in this thread, as you said, he should have had a holster although, regardless, I am weary of any gun that goes off so easily but I guess it can happen. Holster it, unload it, or put it in such a position to prevent something like this from happening. I know this statement doesn't really apply, but an uncle of mine once said; "If you put it on the floor, it can't fall off."

Dreamer

imported post

SPRINGFIELD_45_ACP wrote:
The main entrance signs have been REMOVED...anchor stores SEARS,,BELKS & JCP still have signs posted..... He was within rights (NO CHARGES filed) age should not matter..it was an accident...
I worked at Sears in Fayetteville at the mall for a year, and it is Sears corporate policy to not allow firearms on site--employees, staff, management, customers--no firearms period, except for LEO's.

Just a side note, the CEO of Sears is W. Bruce Johnson, who has three degrees from Duke. You'd think a NC boy like that would be a little more 2A-friendly...

But the current chairman of Sears Holdings is Edward S. Lampert, a 1984 Yale grad, and member of the Skull and Bones Society. Lambert previously worked at Goldman Sachs...

I don't mean nothin' by that, I'm just sayin'...