• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anti-Gun OC Incident

OPS MARINE

imported post

I was in the local Target Shopping Center today, and walking down the center aisle was a woman in her 50s. She had her cart, pushing it along, and eyeballing my weapon as if it were going to animate, jump out of the holtser and bite her. I smiled and said "Hi, ma'am." She said, "A GUN?! What do you need a gun for in Target?" I calmly asked her if she'd like me to explain the circumstances. She said"Sure",so I askedif I could walk with her while I did so. She said yes, and I extolled upon her the virtues of LOC.

She said that she understood and supported the right to OC and she fully supported the RKBA, but her beef was with those "crazies" that get gun permits and then shoot others. I calmly pointed out to her that this does not happen nearly as much as she could think, as there are many safeguards in place, and most responsible gun owners don't want to lose their rights just because they became angry.

I asked her if she thought she lived in a world where everyone wants to kill one another, and she said no. She continued to talk about mass killings, and to inject some humor into our conversation, I asked her a question. "Why is it that you think there is never a massacre at a shooting range?" She laughed at that and told me she saw my point. She then explained to me that her brother open carries in another state and he has a very short temper. As he has never brandished before, she's happy with that, but worries about him in the future.

She confided in me that after speaking with me, she was far more comfortable having me and the weapon in her presence. I told her I was glad for the opportunity to meet her and hear what the public had to say. She said "I hope you have a good evening and be safe", and we both got back to our shopping. Overall a good meeting.I don't know if she'll ever be a convert, but she has a much better idea of what to expect from the next person she sees OCing.

OPS MARINE

imported post

coolusername2007 wrote:
Great story! There are a lot more people like her than the antis will have you believe, that is people who will listen and not call the cops on you.
Well, although I hope not to have to meet the grand majority of them, that is comforting. Some people just need someone they can relate to, because it's hard to be mad at the lawmakers whom you can't reach. I didn't mention this, but I did tell her what would happen if someone did call the police. I told her what the police had the right to do, and what I would do in the event it occurred.She seemed pleased.