• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SD in Stroud, OK

okboomer

imported post

STROUD, Okla. -- A man was shot and killed as he broke into a Lincoln County woman's home, deputies said.
Billy Dean Riley, 53, of Sparks, was drunk and high on some type of opiate at the time of his death on Friday, according to the Lincoln County Sheriff's Department.

Deputies said Riley crashed a vehicle near the home of Donna Jackson, 57, between 12:30 and 12:50 a.m. Friday. Riley went to the back door of Jackson's home nearby and started to break in.

Jackson told authorities that she picked up a shotgun and called 911.

"There's a man at my back door. He's trying to get in," she said to the dispatcher. "He's close to the door. I'm going to go ahead and get the gun out."

"She told him that she was armed and that she had called the police and that he needed to leave," said Lincoln County Sheriff Chuck Mangion.

In return, deputies said, Riley started screaming vulgarities at the homeowner. He picked up a patio table and threw it through Jackson's glass patio door.

The dispatcher told Jackson that she was advised to defend her property if she needed to.

Jackson said she fired one shot into Riley's chest when he started to enter the home.

"I shot. I shot. I'm going out front. I hit him," she told the dispatcher. "Please, dear God. I think I've killed him. Please father in heaven, please father in heaven."

She cried, expressing concern for Riley and his family.

Riley was pronounced dead by a medical examiner at about 1:50 a.m.

Riley's sister was a passenger in his vehicle, deputies said. Patricia Ellen Totty, 45, was taken to a hospital for drug and alcohol detoxification.

Deputies said Jackson is likely to be covered under Oklahoma's "stand your ground" laws, but the case is still under investigation.
If you play the video, they play the 911 and you can hear the operator tell her that she was good to go on shooting the intruder.

Mossy_35

imported post

+1 for Ms. Jackson for defending herself and her property. One less bg to worry about

+1 for the dispatcher

Tucky

TheMrMitch

imported post

I'm really glad the lady is safe.

Anyone note how much time passed after 911 call and the shotgun blast?

Help still wasn't there for her.....she protected herself.

okboomer

imported post

She was in the county jurisdiction and not in the city limits, so the Sherrif's had to travel almost across the whole county to get there. I live in a similar situation, but our county is slightly larger than hers, and this response time would be normal out here.

Her early warning system went off (the dog) and the house was secure enough to repel the BG long enough for her to call 911 and then arm herself.

While this didn't have anything to do with open carry or even concealed carry, I believe it does touch on defending against charges of excessive force or even murder when lethal force is used in a self-defense situation. In the 911 call, the lady said in no uncertain terms that she was going to kill the BG. Her words may be important in future cases where the wrong words are used in the heat of the moment by someone who is still operating under the influence of adrennalin.

Of course, most of the time BG vs 12ga = DOA.

The 911 operator was actually a Police Dispatcher as they are the entities tasked with operating the state 911 systems. The operator said that the caller was authorized to use deadly force which means that a Police Officer, probably the Watch Commander was standing there telling the operator to say that. In this state, 911 operators are not law enforcement, but rather civilian employees and they cannot state legalities, but the watch commander most certainly can.

KansasMustang

imported post

I live in Dickinson County Kansas, the county seat is Abilene. IF a situation arose whereas I had to defend my life/property the county is authorized to deputize the local police in my little town. Still it's at least a 5-10 minute response. Thank God for Kansas Castle Doctrine.
Bless her heart the gal now has to live with having killed another human being. But notice, I said LIVE. One more BG off the roads.

rmansu2

imported post

Similar situation happened to a friends neighbor.

She is in her 80's, lives alone, and is well known by the police because she is a HAM Operator who never sleeps. They are always stopping by to check on her and see how she is doing. One night some drunk was trying to kick in her back door and she called my friend to come help. He had his wife call 911 as he crossed the street armed, of course. She had already contacted police via radio and they responded in under 3 minutes. My friend was on the phone with her the whole time and she warned him she would not hesitate to shoot the intruder with her snubby .38 if he made it through the door. Luckily police showed up as my friend crossed the street. He was able to have her stand down so she wouldn't shoot the police as they detained the drunk. No shots fired, man arrested, woman shaken for days.

Moral of the story, you never know what could happen and always be prepared.

okboomer

imported post

It's on FoxNews this AM.

KansasMustang - Ok has Castle Doctrine too, thank god ;-) And the Sherrif could deputize the police, but the butthole City won't let them. Some kind of turf war between SO and PD and someone stepping on the other's toes. Hopefully the new Sherrif will change that policy.

When I was young, someone was stalking my family and mom and dad went out of town for a weekend. They left us teenagers home with a gun. Dad's Detective friend came over and made sure we knew how to load, fire and reload the gun, then told us that if the stalker broke in and we had to shoot, if he fell outside, we were to drag him back inside, then call the cops. This was in the early 1970's before Castle Doctrine and stalker laws.

simmonsjoe

imported post

okboomer wrote:
It's on FoxNews this AM.

KansasMustang - Ok has Castle Doctrine too, thank god ;-) And the Sherrif could deputize the police, but the butthole City won't let them. Some kind of turf war between SO and PD and someone stepping on the other's toes. Hopefully the new Sherrif will change that policy.

When I was young, someone was stalking my family and mom and dad went out of town for a weekend. They left us teenagers home with a gun. Dad's Detective friend came over and made sure we knew how to load, fire and reload the gun, then told us that if the stalker broke in and we had to shoot, if he fell outside, we were to drag him back inside, then call the cops. This was in the early 1970's before Castle Doctrine and stalker laws.
I think you really really need to investigate the difference between a Sheriff's office and a Police Office. Police office's are fundamentally flawed in the lack of separation of power. Sheriff's are elected officials whose job doesn't depend on keeping politicians happy.

Police Offices are nothing but organized criminal enforcers with legal standing.
(not that individual Officers are, of course, and many police offices conduct themselves as best as possible. It's the principle)

READ SHERIFF MACKS ''COUNTY SHERIFF, AMERICAS LAST HOPE''

markand

imported post

This incident is also over on News and Political Alerts here:
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum4/34972.html

I've been reading the reports. +1 to this woman for protecting herself. I can't imagine she's going to have a legal issue over this, although she'll have to live with the memory of the event

Unfortunately, some of the stories published her name, age and complete address in their reports!!! This could a problematic for the victim as the bad guy just might have gang members, business associates or family who could be quite angry with her and might seek retribution. I spoke to TV station KBIS and the reporter agreed that they do not like to identify victims in this manner and took steps to remove that sensitive information from their reports.

The Oklahoman newspaper also published an article on this shooting. I spoke to the reporter, a Robert Medley around 3:40 PM EST. I pointed out that the full name and address of the victim, prominently printed on his report, could be dangerous to the victim. The intruder has obviously had other encounters with law enforcement (the photo in the article shows the intruder in orange prison garb).

Mr. Medley was completely unwilling to do anything to help protect the victim's life, like removing the victims full name and complete address!! He pointed out, and I agree, that if the Mexican drug cartel really wanted to get to this woman, they probably could whether the address is published in his newspaper or not. I countered with, "Why draw a giant arrow pointing straight to this woman's home, essentially painting a bulls-eye on her back? Why make it easy to exact revenge?" He said his orders were to publish as much information as he had, and that's what he was going to do.

The report is at:

http://newsok.com/woman-shoots-and-kills-intruder-in-lincoln-county/article/3422498

If you want to contact Mr. Medley and suggest they exercise some caution for the safety of the victim (that would be the woman defending her home), here is his contact information:

ROBERT MEDLEY
rmedley@opubco.com

The Oklahoman
Main number: (405) 475-3311

9000 North Broadway, Oklahoma City, OK 73114
P.O. Box 25125, Oklahoma City, OK 73125

wewd

imported post

It's a shame that this man forced her to take a life, nobody ever wants to do that. She was left with no other choice and was entirely justified, but that will not make it any easier on her. I have known several people who had to do the same, one a cop off-duty, the other a home owner, and they never completely get over it. It's incredibly traumatic. I am glad that she is safe and had a proper means of self defense. Only God knows what would have happened otherwise.

okboomer

imported post

simmonsjoe wrote:
I think you really really need to investigate the difference between a Sheriff's office and a Police Office. Police office's are fundamentally flawed in the lack of separation of power. Sheriff's are elected officials whose job doesn't depend on keeping politicians happy.

Police Offices are nothing but organized criminal enforcers with legal standing.
(not that individual Officers are, of course, and many police offices conduct themselves as best as possible. It's the principle)

READ SHERIFF MACKS ''COUNTY SHERIFF, AMERICAS LAST HOPE''
We lost the old sherrif for embezzlement and mis-use of funds :lol:

The chief of police has a defensive, bunker mentality about protecting his "turf" and in my personal and professional experience is an outright chicken sh*t. And it is the pd that has the no cooperation policy.

As for the powers of the Sherrif, I do know what it should be, I said the problem was between the so and pd, and that we had a new Sherrif,not that the citizens in the county could do anything about it ... small rural town, lots of good ole boy network sh*t running things.

The old sherrif was definitely a good ole boy player and didn't rock the boat. Don't really have much faith that the new sherrif will be any better, different, but probably not better, but he did clean house when he took office and I was impressed with who he promoted in the department. So, there is a glimmer of hope -- the jury is still out as he hasn't had to take a stand on anything publicly yet.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

I love her description. "It's a BIG shotgun"

I was shocked the 911 said to shoot away, after all these oh no run and hide
let the police get them after they do away with your a**. You better not shoot calls.

Does drunk driving make the sister an accomplice and therefore responsible
for his death in the commission of said crime spree? At the very least the getaway driver.

simmonsjoe

imported post

SlackwareRobert wrote:
I love her description. "It's a BIG shotgun"

I was shocked the 911 said to shoot away, after all these oh no run and hide
let the police get them after they do away with your a**. You better not shoot calls.

Does drunk driving make the sister an accomplice and therefore responsible
for his death in the commission of said crime spree? At the very least the getaway driver.
I don't think his original intent was to do a home invasion. He was high and in an accident and just wandered off to rob someone. I don't think it qualifies. I mean, running into a tree doesn't directly run the risk of the passenger committing a home invasion! (unless he was ejected through the windshield and into your living room?)

From what I understand there has to be a direct connection, like, Tom and Jerry rob Billy's stop'n'pop. Billy shoots Jerry, and Tom gets charge with murder. It is reasonable that Tom should assume homicide could result from his actions.

markand

imported post

Hard to tell what his intentions were, and considering that he's deceased, we'll probably never know. One could argue that he was just messed up drunk, had an accident and was trying to get help, in the wee hours of the morning. The facts cast a different light on things, however. Banging on the doors and windows for over 10 minutes was bad enough, but smashing the door with a patio table and chair and then entering the woman's home kind of crosses the line. The woman was right to shoot. She had no idea what this clown was up to.