• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Owner Thwarts Bank Robbery

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Here's something I have a real problem with in this story. The police arrested BOTH of the men until they could get things sorted out, as they said. Am I missing something here? I mean, a bank with tellers and other employees. These are called witnesses who one might think that as soon as they saw the police arrive they would tell them who the bad guy was and that the man with the gun was a good guy.

I might understand why the police may want to do this (really I don't) if they came upon a scene where the only two people were the BG and the GG. Yeah, I know... they will use the excuse that, "we don't know who is who". But come on. Cops are pretty darned good at determining who the good guys and bad guys are up front. Granted, they don't want to take chance, but if I am out there holding someone under my gun and the cops arrive, I am going to carefully put my gun down and step away from it if asked to do so. I do not expect to be arrested, even for a moment.

If I am wrong in any of this, please educate me.

zack991

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
Here's something I have a real problem with in this story. The police arrested BOTH of the men until they could get things sorted out, as they said. Am I missing something here? I mean, a bank with tellers and other employees. These are called witnesses who one might think that as soon as they saw the police arrive they would tell them who the bad guy was and that the man with the gun was a good guy.

I might understand why the police may want to do this (really I don't) if they came upon a scene where the only two people were the BG and the GG. Yeah, I know... they will use the excuse that, "we don't know who is who". But come on. Cops are pretty darned good at determining who the good guys and bad guys are up front. Granted, they don't want to take chance, but if I am out there holding someone under my gun and the cops arrive, I am going to carefully put my gun down and step away from it if asked to do so. I do not expect to be arrested, even for a moment.

The way I Look at it is, its their way of punishing the lonely citizens for defending themselves. They are hoping people get tired of being hassled and they stop carrying further. I am not just pulling this out of my butt crack. I had a few cops tell me when pulled over that they will always give CCW holders and open carriers a hard time hoping we give up the idea that we can protect ourselves. I ran into a few cops who are pro gun, but many here are anti-gun union liberals. Where only they have the "training" needed to defend others and their family's. Everyone else in their book are uncivilized morons.

They hate the idea of people not depending on them, they get even more into a hissy fit when you can recite the law and code. They hate it when people know their rights and that they can not BS the lonely citizen around. In short we called it the Napoleon syndrome when I was active duty.

SouthernBoy

imported post

zack991 wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:

The way I Look at it is, its their way of punishing the lonely citizens for defending themselves. They are hoping people get tired of being hassled and they stop carrying further. I am not just pulling this out of my butt crack. I had a few cops tell me when pulled over that they will always give CCW holders and open carriers a hard time hoping we give up the idea that we can protect ourselves. I ran into a few cops who are pro gun, but many here are anti-gun union liberals. Where only they have the "training" needed to defend others and their family's. Everyone else in their book are uncivilized morons.

They hate the idea of people not depending on them, they get even more into a hissy fit when you can recite the law and code. They hate it when people know their rights and that they can not BS the lonely citizen around. In short we called it the Napoleon syndrome when I was active duty.
Yeah, I bet that drives them ballistic.

Mylittle rant was not meant to be anti-police at all. However, I have to admit, I don't like cops who get the "God" syndrome.. like doctors, judges, and some other "authority" figures. They seem to forget who they work for (I get a lot of flak about that comment, but it's true. That's why they're called public servants).

I have had to do a 911 twice and I did have a gun handy. Neither time did I ever have a problem with the responding officers but then again, I hadn't shot anyone. Still, you can bet that when the troops arrive, I am going to make it damned clear to them who I am and what I am about to do (I'm the good guy and I will; 1) holster my firearm, or 2) put my firearm down. I don't like the idea of handing my gun over to the police as I see that as a dangerous move. Nor do I like the command to "drop" my gun (don't like the idea of damaging my property).

If I have to shoot someone, I am going to either get on the horn as quickly as I can or have someone else make the call to the police to let them know what has happened, who I am, how I am dressed, and any other descriptions they need to separate me from the BG.

The Atomic Ass

imported post

zack991 wrote:
It's not just that they're liberal, a large portion of the Warren county staff, as well as the City of Mason staff is actively corrupt. It doesn't surprise me in the least they would be against carrying, when they're practically crooks themselves.

simmonsjoe

imported post

I used lethal force for self defense in Richmond, VA.

I was the only witness.
There was however, a 911 tape of me yelling while I'm getting shot at.
Although they detained me for a while for questioning and processing
for GSR, and filling out paperwork relating to the confiscation of my pickup
(for evidence, there were bullet holes in it), I was never arrested.

Due to policy they had to get a hold of the DA before they released me that
night. They woke him up:lol:

SouthernBoy

imported post

simmonsjoe wrote:

I was the only witness.

Glad you made it through. Did they take your weapon? How were you treated? Were any charges brought against you?

Once again, I'm happy you made it through.

OPS MARINE

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
simmonsjoe wrote:

I was the only witness.

Glad you made it through. Did they take your weapon? How were you treated? Were any charges brought against you?

I'm very glad you made it through, too. Will you finish the story for us if you feel comfortable doing so? I'd like to know what happened next. I'm glad to see such a response to this post.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:

Since this was a bankrobbery, I doubt that any 911 call was made before LEO arrived. Banks have panic switches all over the place that, when pressed, summons the police automatically to the location.

SouthernBoy

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:

Since this was a bankrobbery, I doubt that any 911 call was made before LEO arrived. Banks have panic switches all over the place that, when pressed, summons the police automatically to the location.
Oops. Forgot about that one. Thanks for the correction.

SlowDog

imported post

I too have had to use my sidearm for self defense. I too was held until they made sure everything was on the up & up. I wasn't arrested but held for a few hours.

They will hold this man to clear him because in the past there have been shootings like this where the guy acting like a hero was actually part of the holdup and chickened out or just wanted to look like the hero. They will dig into his past to make sure he and the robbers don't have any connections. Just good police work is all....and I hardly ever say that.:uhoh:

simmonsjoe

imported post

OPS MARINE wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
simmonsjoe wrote:

I was the only witness.

I'm very glad you made it through, too. Will you finish the story for us if you feel comfortable doing so? I'd like to know what happened next. I'm glad to see such a response to this post.
Thanks for your support.
They did keep my weapon as it was evidence in an investigation. (for ballistics)
I was not charged at any time.

ocgso

imported post

Rugerp345 wrote:
I like this guy.
"You're not robbing this bank today."

Unfortunately, in NC, our wise lawmakers prohibit concealed carry in banks.

I feel your pain, but you may open carry in a few banks. Unfortunately I see post on here frequently about a new bank putting up a sign.

Why aren't the tellers trained and given the option to carry? Bet you would see less bank robberies.:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

CommonMan101

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:

I'm pretty certain the officer mis-spoke when he said "arrested". They were both detained and once sorted out the robber was the only one arrested.

They didn't take the GG downtown and file charges.Arrest = charges. Can't have an arrest without being told by the officer what you're being arrested for.

simmonsjoe

imported post

CommonMan101 wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:

I'm pretty certain the officer mis-spoke when he said "arrested". They were both detained and once sorted out the robber was the only one arrested.

They didn't take the GG downtown and file charges.Arrest = charges. Can't have an arrest without being told by the officer what you're being arrested for.
Cite please.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

CommonMan101 wrote:
SNIP

http://www.flexyourrights.org/faq

arrest (6)

Do police have to tell me why I'm being arrested?

No. Police are not required to tell you what you're being arrested for. Within 72 hours you have right to be brought before a judge or released. When brought before a judge, that's when the charges against you will be read.

Nevertheless, at the time of arrest, police will typically give you a basic explanation for why you're being taken into custody. Remember to keep your mouth shut and ask for a lawyer.