• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Slain officers memorial on Tues. 12/08/09

TechnoWeenie

imported post

Will be held @ Tacoma Dome which is city property.. OC+CC are legal, BUT A CPL IS REQUIRED, and may be challenged. I do NOT want to start a pissing match, it's not the time nor place for it. I do however want a few people to show up and support the LE community in a rough time.

If anyone needs a ride I will be offering it; up to 4 people from the Olympia area...

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

I'll be there, but I won't be OCing. That day is not the time to turn attention away from the officers and their families.

swatspyder

imported post

I will be there, armed, but I won't be OC.

I am going to bring my DSLR, so if anyone that won't be going would like to see pictures of the event, let me know. I will post them here if anyone requests them.

Stretch

imported post

I too will be there, but I'll be with my brothers and sisters in another organization.

There are predictions of upwards of 20,000 people to be there. Be early and be patient with all the traffic.

Squeak

imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
Will be held @ Tacoma Dome which is city property.. OC+CC are legal, BUT A CPL IS REQUIRED, and may be challenged. I do NOT want to start a pissing match, it's not the time nor place for it. I do however want a few people to show up and support the LE community in a rough time.

If anyone needs a ride I will be offering it; up to 4 people from the Olympia area...
What time is it going to start?

swatspyder

imported post

Squeak wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:

What time is it going to start?
Memorial Service begins at 1 p.m. Doors will open at 11 a.m .

http://www.q13fox.com/news/memorialprocession/

Emergency Services Procession Route (McChord Air Force Base to Tacoma Dome)

Tuesday 10 a.m.
  • Leave McChord Air Force Base, North Gate, north on South Tacoma Way (Lakewood)South on South Tacoma Way Extension (Lakewood)
  • West on 108th St. (Lakewood)
  • North on Lakeview Drive SW (Lakewood)
  • West on 100th St. SW (Lakewood)
  • North on Lakewood Dr. SW (Lakewood)stopping at the Lakewood Police Department
  • East on Steilacoom Blvd. (Lakewood)
  • North on South Tacoma Way (Lakewood, Tacoma)
  • East on East 26th St. (Tacoma)
  • South on East C St. (Tacoma)
  • Tacoma Dome, 2727 E. D Street, Tacoma

kwiebe

imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
Will be held @ Tacoma Dome which is city property.. OC+CC are legal, BUT A CPL IS REQUIRED, and may be challenged.
Predating by about a year this memorial event, Tacoma city management has stated in writing that anyone attempting to carry into the Dome will be "turned away." This applies to CC with CPL; it's not clear what (additionally) they'd do with an OC'er. But evidently they consider that to be "illegal" (along with CC w/o CPL of course). Arrest?

Here's the OCDO thread:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=19153&forum_id=55

Here's a direct link (also in the above thread) to the city's "proclamation:"

http://download.rbn.com/rbn/bill/download/ocdo/tacoma/CityofTacPublicAssemblyFacLetter2008.pdf

I don't think anything has changed since then, so it doesn't appear that carrying citizens will be allowed onto the city's Dome property, regardless of the carry mode or CPL status.

swatspyder

imported post

kwiebe wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
Will be held @ Tacoma Dome which is city property.. OC+CC are legal, BUT A CPL IS REQUIRED, and may be challenged.
Predating by about a year this memorial event, Tacoma city management has stated in writing that anyone attempting to carry into the Dome will be "turned away." This applies to CC with CPL; it's not clear what (additionally) they'd do with an OC'er. But evidently they consider that to be "illegal" (along with CC w/o CPL of course). Arrest?

Here's the OCDO thread:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=19153&forum_id=55

Here's a direct link (also in the above thread) to the city's "proclamation:"

http://download.rbn.com/rbn/bill/download/ocdo/tacoma/CityofTacPublicAssemblyFacLetter2008.pdf

I don't think anything has changed since then, so it doesn't appear that carrying citizens will be allowed onto the city's Dome property, regardless of the carry mode or CPL status.
The question is... What do they do to check... Pat down, wand or just observe?

TechnoWeenie

imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
Anytime I have been to the TDome for any reason; public or private there is no pat down, no wand, no observation to speak of....

Probably even less so @ a free event....

I will be CC only by nature of the fact that I will be wearing a jacket.

If I get turned away, It would then give me legal standing to file a lawsuit.

I don't think it will be an issue, but it'd look even worse for them, turning away a 'good guy' wishing to pay his respects to those who served the community.

I'm betting that there will be so many officers there that anyone seen with a holstered weapon will be assumed to be LE. However, most departmental SOP I know about major events requires ID/badge to be visible if armed unless on plainclothes detail.

ETA: Like I said, tomorrow isn't the day for a pissing match. If it becomes an issue, I'll politely inform them, have proper documentation including AG opinion, and leave the ball in their court. If they wanna press it, then it's up to them.

The 'we're private property owners' excuse it just a circumvention of law, just like saying 'Well there's a new clause, if you want a drivers license you have to submit to random stops and searches, we're not violating your rights because it's not a RIGHT to have a license, you choose if you want one or not'..

Oh.. that's right.. The ATF already does that...

:banghead: