• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC primer or tips?

Optimus Prime

imported post

My search fu is weak at 5am/towards the end of my shift. Is there a thread on here already that covers the basic stuff you should know about OC in Wisconsin, along with some useful tips and whatnot? Like how most of you deal with multiple stop shopping trips by car and the like.

If there is a thread like that, it would be a fantastic sticky right at the top of the forum. If not, here's a starting point I guess!

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum57/27414.html

Some of the answer you seek depends on the risk of cop involvement that you are willing to enjoy or suffer. It is not possible to strictly legally make the transition between vehicle carry and open carry.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=30060&forum_id=57&highlight=vimeo

If you believe, as some do, that the probability of a negligent discharge is closely correlated with the number of manipulations of your gun then you cannot legally and without risk of an ND make many transitions between legal vehicle carry and legal open carry.

If you believe, as some do, that you cannot suffer an ND without significantly increasing the hazard to others then you cannot safely make the transition between VC and OC.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

WELCOME!

I have carried in the "central sands" for several months now. There are five places we do not OC (Cars, Bars, Government buildings, State Parks, 1000ft from school property unless on private property) after that just about anywhere else is OK.

I have carried in Walmart, ShopKo, Target, Menards, Fleet Farm, Kohls, and just about every fast food joint.

I carry in condition-3. Loaded magazine in, but none chambered. That way, when I get back to the car, I just drop the mag in the case no need to run the slide.

I carry gun and mags in the same case, but no rounds or mags in the gun. I put the holster on before I leave the house. When I get to the store:

1. Remove case from vehicle.
2. Open case, retrieve gun, place in holster.
3. Retrieve mag, insert into holstered firearm.
4. Place case in car, go about my business.

Returning works in reverse:

1. Remove case from vehicle.
2. Remove firearm from holster and drop mag into case.
3. Place gun in case.
4. Close case and place into vehicle.

Takes about 3-5 seconds.

I wear a duty holster so it hangs lower to avoid the pesky coat conceal.

Send me a PM and I would be happy to go through everything with you directly. I am sending PM with my contact info.

Sent you a PM with my contact info. In the woods hunting right now, but will try to contact you after diner.

Support The 2nd

imported post

Don't forget to sign the GFSZ and vehicle carry petition, and having a voice activated recorder (VAR) isn't a bad idea either. Lastly, remember we have an adversarial justice system, so don't talk to police, and never volunteer any information.

Optimus Prime

imported post

Signed the petition a while ago, and sent the link to several friends.
Think I'll pick up a voice recorder in the next couple days too.

On to the fun, I was feeling ambitious, and I needed to fill the windshield fluid on the car, so I headed out to Walmart. Got to the parking lot, went right along with bnh's procedure listed above, and headed into the lion's den.

Walked all the way to the auto department, clear in the back of the store, got a friendly hello from the greater, passed a couple manager types throughout the store, and costumers all over the place. I sometimes forget how crowded that place is when you're not there at 3am.
Grabbed a jug of fluid, went back to the check-out, paid, went back to the car, filled up the fluid, and secured my pistol back in the trunk.

No mass panic, no children crying, no over-zealous Plover PD. Woot!

Freshly emboldened, I drove over to Best Buy, and wandered around the DVD section for a while. Picked up a couple movies, and headed home.

Carried my Kimber Cutom II in a Fobus paddle. Finally got around to ordering a tan Serpa for it tonight (I like the tan color, and a little more retention wouldn't hurt either).

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

EXCELLENT!

You chose the two (2) places I was kicked out of. Best Buy asked me to leave, WalMart called Plover LEO on me. I was polite at the time, but turned up the heat on the management after the fact.

Both WELCOMED me back, armed or not, and apologized. As I stated, I carried in the Central Sands for many months. I might be in the neighborhood this weekend, PM me if you'd like to get together.

Until then, carry on!

Optimus Prime

imported post

I saw that in previous posts, and that pretty much decided where I'd try it first.
Hit up Fleet after class today with the Sig 2022 in a Serpa, and Walmart and Best Buy again today. Got some .45acp at Walmart, first time I've seen it on the shelf in months. Got a little digital voice recorder from Best Buy, cheapest one they had, still $45 though. Probably pretty cheap insurance in the long run though.
The Serpa works a bit better with a coat than the Fobus, the paddle attachment system makes them stick out a little more from your waist. I'm looking forward for the one for my .45 to show up now.

gbu28

imported post

Optimus Prime wrote:
I saw that in previous posts, and that pretty much decided where I'd try it first.
Hit up Fleet after class today with the Sig 2022 in a Serpa, and Walmart and Best Buy again today. Got some .45acp at Walmart, first time I've seen it on the shelf in months. Got a little digital voice recorder from Best Buy, cheapest one they had, still $45 though. Probably pretty cheap insurance in the long run though.
The Serpa works a bit better with a coat than the Fobus, the paddle attachment system makes them stick out a little more from your waist. I'm looking forward for the one for my .45 to show up now.

Just curious, how long have you had your Serpa (well, actually used is more important). I really liked it when I first bought it but now I find my .45 is jiggling around in it way too much. It doesn't slip out on its own because of the button release, but it's also not nearly as tight as it originally was, and I haven't used it that much.

Optimus Prime

imported post

The one for my Sig was loose from the start, but the gun doesn't fall out. I tried to tighten it up a little (there's a screw below the latch that you can adjust tension with)but it only adjusts tension on the trigger guard, so it still flops around a little.
It really only bothers me when I'm running with it.