Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tatical officers called to the workplace over a gun

Post imported post

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loc...03?hub=Toronto

A Toronto designer became a participant in a real-life Flashpoint-style event when police tactical officers showed up at his workplace over a firearms call that involved a Lego gun.
    "I've had numerous people either say, 'Oh my God, I thought Flashpoint was just filming,' or, 'This is totally going to be a Flashpoint episode at some point'," Jeremy Bell told ctvtoronto.ca on Thursday. "Yeah, it's pretty surreal."
    Flashpoint is a CTV drama, set in Toronto, about a police "strategic response unit."
    Late Wednesday afternoon, Bell -- a partner with the digital design firm Teehan+Lax, located at 460 Richmond St. W. -- was assembling a replica handgun made out of Lego that had arrived.
    "It arrived yesterday and at the end of the day, I decided to put it together. I literally assembled it, handed it to a co-worker (who promptly broke it) and then put it back in the box," Bell wrote in a posting on his personal blog.
    "The SWAT arrived shortly thereafter."
    Across the street, Michael Dent was working in his third-floor loft. He saw what he thought was someone assembling a firearm, so he took some photos and called the police.
    "I don't really like guns right beside me -- and then it turned out to be Lego," Dent chuckled.
    But he added, "My girlfriend is moving in with her daughter and stuff, and it looks right into our loft where we sleep, so no, not cool."
    Dent said the door of the office was shut, and it never is, so for all he knew, someone might have been laid off "and about to go postal, so that's why I called."
    Bell was in his office and then heard a voice yelling his name and instructing him to come into the hallway.
    "At first I thought, 'who did I piss off?' I wasn't worried about my safety ... but I certainly wasn't expecting to see an armed officer," he said, adding he couldn't remember what type of firearm was pointed at him.
    Bell said he knew he hadn't done anything wrong.
    "As soon as I realized they were actual cops and this was not a joke, I was, 'What else could it be? It's got to be the stupid Lego gun I put together'," he said.
    Police had him put his hands on his head and walk backwards towards them. "They cuffed me, pulled me into the stairwell and threw me against the wall. They spread my legs and checked to make sure I didn't have a weapon on me," he said.
    Bell said he told them where the Lego gun was, they went to check it out and then uncuffed him. He was handcuffed for about 90 seconds.
    After seeing the photos, Bell said he can understand why Dent called the cops, although to him, it's still clearly Lego.
    "There's like a million pieces on the table," he said, adding, it's not like he waved it around or took it out on the street.
    Const. Tony Vella of the Toronto Police Service no charges resulted from the incident, the response for which involved uniformed and tactical officers.
    "We have to take all the gun calls seriously because we don't know what we're getting involved in," Vella said. "There's the potential for public risk as well as the risk to the officers' safety."
    On his blog, Bell wrote: "The cops clearly don't take this **** lightly."
    Dent wondered what his phone call cost the city in taxes.

Post imported post

Where are the charges for the "peeping Tom" that called it in? I know I would be going after him if it had been me.

Post imported post

Just goes to show another ANTI that doesn't have a clue. If you are really going to be against something at least know what it is you're against, not just some vague notion.

Post imported post

REX681959 wrote:
    Just goes to show another ANTI that doesn't have a clue. If you are really going to be against something at least know what it is you're against, not just some vague notion.
    True that, but ya got to keep in mind it's Canada where this event transpired. :?

http://usgovinfo.about.com/library/weekly/aa012601a.htm

Banned

Post imported post

Gordie wrote:
    Where are the charges for the "peeping Tom" that called it in? I know I would be going after him if it had been me.
    This.

His girlfriend and kid are moving in, why is he spying on guys?

Post imported post

Armond Reese wrote:
    Gordie wrote:
    This.

Cause the girlfriend came with the kid.
    illegal ≠ immoral legal ≠ moral
    [SIZE=1]"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. "Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent." - Thomas Jefferson
    G19 Gen 4; Bersa Thunder 380; Sig Sauer P238; Kel-Tec su-16c

Post imported post

Armond Reese wrote:
    Gordie wrote:
    This.

He was in his apartment which is across the street from an OFFICE BUILDING. He looked out his window and saw a guy with a gun in an office building, an unusual sight in Canada for sure. You make is sound like he was a vouyer looking into a men's room window with binoculors.

Post imported post

Decoligny wrote:
    Armond Reese wrote:
    Gordie wrote:
    This.

He was in his apartment which is across the street from an OFFICE BUILDING. He looked out his window and saw a guy with a gun in an office building, an unusual sight in Canada for sure. You make is sound like he was a vouyer looking into a men's room window with binoculors.

I wonder if he would be OK if the situation had been reversed? I just happened to be in the office building across the street when I looked into your apartment window and saw you doing (whatever).:shock:

Lesson here is that window blinds and curtains are good, especially if your windows are in close proximity to others.

Post imported post

Well if I was this guy I'd build a giant middle finger sculpture out of legos and stick in my office window for that nosy butthole to look at all the time.

Post imported post

Decoligny wrote:
    It's not like he was making a casual glance across the street. He's apparently very familiar with what goes on over there:

Dent said the door of the office was shut, and it never is, so for all he knew, someone might have been laid off "and about to go postal, so that's why I called."

Post imported post

I would leave the print of ( o ) on the window.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar

Post imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
    Well if I was this guy I'd build a giant middle finger sculpture out of legos and stick in my office window for that nosy butthole to look at all the time.
    I actually did something similar with a nosy neighbor I had, but it was picture of a middle finger, with the words mind your own business under it.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Banned

Post imported post

KBCraig wrote:
    Decoligny wrote:
    It's not like he was making a casual glance across the street. He's apparently very familiar with what goes on over there:

Yeah, that's what I was talking about.

Post imported post

Dent should learn to mind his own business.

Post imported post

buster81 wrote:
    Never happen. That's the problem with Bleeding Heart Liberals. They want to mind you business but don't you dare try & mind theirs.

There's a very old & wise statement. "Those who preach tolerance are the most intolerant".
    Only two have offered their lives for you. A Soldier and Jesus....

Post imported post

oh wow real TACTICAL officers?!?!?!11!!? what do those look like, are those the new ones that can deflect bullets and catch every criminal in a high speed chase???

really though, i think i hate canada... even the people that come down seem real cool until you start talking about guns, then they freak like you just mentioned a nuke hidden in the city or something

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

SlowDog wrote:
    buster81 wrote:
    Never happen. That's the problem with Bleeding Heart Liberals. They want to mind you business but don't you dare try & mind theirs.

There's a very old & wise statement. "Those who preach tolerance are the most intolerant".
    HA! I think bleeding heart liberals aren't the problem here, its everyone. The guy that called in the cops should, perhaps, have observed more what was going on. I think it was a matter of hoplophobia.

I would check this article, a couple of years old but it holds relevance to today: http://www.economist.com/blogs/democ..._the_economist

r6-rider wrote:
    oh wow real TACTICAL officers?!?!?!11!!? what do those look like, are those the new ones that can deflect bullets and catch every criminal in a high speed chase???

really though, i think i hate canada... even the people that come down seem real cool until you start talking about guns, then they freak like you just mentioned a nuke hidden in the city or something
    HA! Tactical officers indeed. Their regular officers must be called Wimpy Officers.

I can't say I hate the Canadians, they've produced a lot of funny people that come here to the U.S.; however, they are a different culture and, well, perhaps a bit misguided. But let them be frightened of us gun-totting Americans, they can always go back home and whine from up there.

Post imported post

KBCraig wrote:
    Decoligny wrote:

the office building was across the alley, not across the street. the **** peeping tom, nosey guy ...was probably watching this guy all the time with box of tissues close by and binoculars in hand. a peeping tom, calls the cops because he thinks he see's a guy with a gun...I guess if you live in Canada land of the sheep. Tactical cops, lol ha ha ha ...don't get me started...
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

Post imported post

I'll agree with you and disagree with you.

tekshogun wrote:
    I think bleeding heart liberals aren't the problem here, its everyone.
    You are right, it is everyone (almost). I have no idea if this meat head was a liberal, conservative, NDP, green party or whatever and I don't think it really matters.

tekshogun wrote:
    The guy that called in the cops should, perhaps, have observed more what was going on.
    I'll disagree with this. The guy should have minded his own business.

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

I am in no way defending the peeping tom, or the canadian government for their actions over a toy gun, But you guys seem to forget that possession of a handgun byany regular jackoff is prohibited in Canada.

Consider this, You see into the office of some guy, and he is handling an "IGLA" 9K38 portable anti-aircraft missile system (PAMS) http://www.zid.ru/en/products/military/igla.html

Since regular jackoff citizens are prohibited from possessing something like that, I am sure you would be concerned too.

Most of the urban Canadian people I have known, absolutly freaked at the sight of a handgun, because they have been indoctrinated into the "Only police and Military should own these" mindset from birth.

Post imported post

Nutczak wrote:
    Consider this, You see into the office of some guy, and he is handling an "IGLA" 9K38 portable anti-aircraft missile system (PAMS)
    I would DEFIANTLY.... ask him where he got it

Post imported post

Nutczak wrote:
    I am in no way defending the peeping tom, or the canadian government for their actions over a toy gun, But you guys seem to forget that possession of a handgun byany regular jackoff is prohibited in Canada.

Consider this, You see into the office of some guy, and he is handling an "IGLA" 9K38 portable anti-aircraft missile system (PAMS) http://www.zid.ru/en/products/military/igla.html

Since regular jackoff citizens are prohibited from possessing something like that, I am sure you would be concerned too.

Most of the urban Canadian people I have known, absolutly freaked at the sight of a handgun, because they have been indoctrinated into the "Only police and Military should own these" mindset from birth.

I'm not forgetting that fact at all. I'm one of the "regular jackoff" subjects from Canada, where,not everyone is freaked out by the sight of a handgun. I have heard rumours (I don't know any of these people!) that lots of folks have handguns and long gunsthat they never registered...:what:. You are correct in that much of the urban hoard are mindless, senseless robots that can't even play hockey worth a damn.

I still contend that the jackoff caller should have minded his own business. If I see my neighbor down the street with something illegal, I'm going home and erasing it from my memory. It's none of my business, unless he makes it my business.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

buster81 wrote:
    I'll agree with you and disagree with you.

tekshogun wrote:
    I think bleeding heart liberals aren't the problem here, its everyone.
    You are right, it is everyone (almost). I have no idea if this meat head was a liberal, conservative, NDP, green party or whatever and I don't think it really matters.

tekshogun wrote:
    The guy that called in the cops should, perhaps, have observed more what was going on.
    I'll disagree with this. The guy should have minded his own business.

You can disagree with that all you want.I understand where you are coming from.But I stand firm thatevil triumphsin the indifference of good men. If I look out my windows and I see someone mercilessly beatingsome one, should I mind my own business? This is a question of morales. Not based on religion or philosophy, nospecific law (although in many places, failing to report a crime may get you in trouble by law). If I see someone holding what looks like a real gun to someone's head, I may certainly be inclined to call the cops. Now, if I see someonewith what looks like a real gun, here inAmerica, I am not saying anything. Canada, is a little bit different there.

Post imported post

r6-rider wrote:
    Nutczak wrote:
    Consider this, You see into the office of some guy, and he is handling an "IGLA" 9K38 portable anti-aircraft missile system (PAMS)
    I would DEFIANTLY.... ask him where he got it
    more like....DUDE, CAN I TRY IT OUT ??
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

Post imported post

tekshogun wrote:
    You can disagree with that all you want.I understand where you are coming from.But I stand firm thatevil triumphsin the indifference of good men. If I look out my windows and I see someone mercilessly beatingsome one, should I mind my own business? This is a question of morales. Not based on religion or philosophy, nospecific law (although in many places, failing to report a crime may get you in trouble by law). If I see someone holding what looks like a real gun to someone's head, I may certainly be inclined to call the cops. Now, if I see someonewith what looks like a real gun, here inAmerica, I am not saying anything. Canada, is a little bit different there.
    That's like saying that if you were in Germany in 1941 and saw a Jew in an unauthorized place you'd narc him out.

I don't call the cops unless I see someone is: doing something illegal AND doing something that violates somebody's rights.

My respect for the law stops where the law stops respecting my rights.

That said, if the guy had a realistic-looking gun replica and he was brandishing it and waving it around in an office in a threatening manner, I can understand someone getting involved, expecially since the shooting-up-the-workplace fad is still in the news lately.

So it depends on what the caller actually thought he saw, and what the guy with the toy gun was doing with it. Neither of these can be determined from the article.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast