• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tatical officers called to the workplace over a gun

r6-rider

imported post

Nutczak wrote:
Consider this, You see into the office of some guy, and he is handling an "IGLA" 9K38 portable anti-aircraft missile system (PAMS)
I would DEFIANTLY.... ask him where he got it:lol:

buster81

imported post

Nutczak wrote:
I am in no way defending the peeping tom, or the canadian government for their actions over a toy gun, But you guys seem to forget that possession of a handgun byany regular jackoff is prohibited in Canada.

Consider this, You see into the office of some guy, and he is handling an "IGLA" 9K38 portable anti-aircraft missile system (PAMS) http://www.zid.ru/en/products/military/igla.html

Since regular jackoff citizens are prohibited from possessing something like that, I am sure you would be concerned too.

Most of the urban Canadian people I have known, absolutly freaked at the sight of a handgun, because they have been indoctrinated into the "Only police and Military should own these" mindset from birth.

I'm not forgetting that fact at all. I'm one of the "regular jackoff" subjects from Canada, where,not everyone is freaked out by the sight of a handgun. I have heard rumours (I don't know any of these people!) that lots of folks have handguns and long gunsthat they never registered...:what:. You are correct in that much of the urban hoard are mindless, senseless robots that can't even play hockey worth a damn.

I still contend that the jackoff caller should have minded his own business. If I see my neighbor down the street with something illegal, I'm going home and erasing it from my memory. It's none of my business, unless he makes it my business.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

buster81 wrote:
I'll agree with you and disagree with you.

tekshogun wrote:
I think bleeding heart liberals aren't the problem here, its everyone.
You are right, it is everyone (almost). I have no idea if this meat head was a liberal, conservative, NDP, green party or whatever and I don't think it really matters.

tekshogun wrote:
The guy that called in the cops should, perhaps, have observed more what was going on.

I'll disagree with this. The guy should have minded his own business.
You can disagree with that all you want.I understand where you are coming from.But I stand firm thatevil triumphsin the indifference of good men. If I look out my windows and I see someone mercilessly beatingsome one, should I mind my own business? This is a question of morales. Not based on religion or philosophy, nospecific law (although in many places, failing to report a crime may get you in trouble by law). If I see someone holding what looks like a real gun to someone's head, I may certainly be inclined to call the cops. Now, if I see someonewith what looks like a real gun, here inAmerica, I am not saying anything. Canada, is a little bit different there.

Tomahawk

imported post

tekshogun wrote:
You can disagree with that all you want.I understand where you are coming from.But I stand firm thatevil triumphsin the indifference of good men. If I look out my windows and I see someone mercilessly beatingsome one, should I mind my own business? This is a question of morales. Not based on religion or philosophy, nospecific law (although in many places, failing to report a crime may get you in trouble by law). If I see someone holding what looks like a real gun to someone's head, I may certainly be inclined to call the cops. Now, if I see someonewith what looks like a real gun, here inAmerica, I am not saying anything. Canada, is a little bit different there.

That's like saying that if you were in Germany in 1941 and saw a Jew in an unauthorized place you'd narc him out.

I don't call the cops unless I see someone is: doing something illegal AND doing something that violates somebody's rights.

My respect for the law stops where the law stops respecting my rights.

That said, if the guy had a realistic-looking gun replica and he was brandishing it and waving it around in an office in a threatening manner, I can understand someone getting involved, expecially since the shooting-up-the-workplace fad is still in the news lately.

So it depends on what the caller actually thought he saw, and what the guy with the toy gun was doing with it. Neither of these can be determined from the article.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
tekshogun wrote:
You can disagree with that all you want.  I understand where you are coming from.  But I stand firm that evil triumphs in the indifference of good men.  If I look out my windows and I see someone mercilessly beating some one, should I mind my own business?  This is a question of morales.  Not based on religion or philosophy, no specific law (although in many places, failing to report a crime may get you in trouble by law).  If I see someone holding what looks like a real gun to someone's head, I may certainly be inclined to call the cops.  Now, if I see someone with what looks like a real gun, here in America, I am not saying anything.  Canada, is a little bit different there.

That's like saying that if you were in Germany in 1941 and saw a Jew in an unauthorized place you'd narc him out.

I don't call the cops unless I see someone is: doing something illegal AND doing something that violates somebody's rights.

My respect for the law stops where the law stops respecting my rights.

That said, if the guy had a realistic-looking gun replica and he was brandishing it and waving it around in an office in a threatening manner, I can understand someone getting involved, expecially since the shooting-up-the-workplace fad is still in the news lately.

So it depends on what the caller actually thought he saw, and what the guy with the toy gun was doing with it. Neither of these can be determined from the article.

I completely agree with you, but in my post in question, I didn't say anything about narcing on anyone.

The guy that called in the cops should, perhaps, have observed more what was going on.

Was stating that he in fact called the cops at the wrong time. He should have observed more and then if he actually saw a crime in progress, THEN call the cops. But I do digress, in Canada, it may very well be illegal for anyone outside of law enforcement to possess a firearm. Would I call the cops just because I saw someone with a gun... no, they may be a cop for all I know. But again, as I stated, if I saw someone beating the crap out of another person or shooting someone with a gun, then you're damn right I'm calling the cops. I think I've grown up in a world where i can definitely say, if I saw someone of a different race or religion I wouldn't narc on them just because the system considers them an enemy of the state, unless I knew that person did in fact have ill-intentions. You bring up an interesting point and that is in fact what I was pointing out.

buster81

imported post

tekshogun wrote:
But I stand firm thatevil triumphsin the indifference of good men.
What evil are you referring to? Just because Canada has seen fit to disarm it's subjects, doesn't mean a person who refuses to go along and assembles a lego gun in their officeis evil.

tekshogun wrote:
I see someone mercilessly beatingsome one, should I mind my own business?I see someone holding what looks like a real gun to someone's head,

No. You should do what you think is right (I suspect in the two situations you mentioned above, I would do the same thing you would). However, there is a big difference between someone assaulting another person, or holding a gun to another person's head, and a person assembling a lego gun.

tekshogun wrote:
This is a question of morales.

Exactly. In Canada, handguns are restricted. This law is wrong, unjust, and against my principles. If I see someone, alone in a room, holding a gun, pellet gun, staple gun, toy gun,lego gun, nerf gun, or their fingers in the shape of a gun, I am going to mind my own business. He was hurting nobody.

tekshogun wrote:
(although in many places, failing to report a crime may get you in trouble by law).
Not in Canada.

I'm not being argumentative. I just believe that people should mind their own business, particularly when they have no idea what they were looking at. If I peek over your fence into your back yard and see some green stuff in your garden, should I call the cops because it might be marijuana?

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I follow you. And I too am not being argumentative. Just trying to defend my stance as I believe I've been misread, perhaps that is my fault.

I certainly would not call anyone in for holding a gun (lego or not). Now if I see them actually putting a lego gun together, then I'll go on about my business, hell, try and even look it up online out of curiosity. But the point I was trying to make is that if the person indeed thought they saw a real gun, and observed further to look for criminal activity (the evil I was referring to in a round about way, such as an armed robbery or someone being threatened or already shot), then he should have called the cops if that activity was witnessed. Since that was not the case, the caller goofed big time, moronically. Hell, if he waited, he probably would have seen something funny about the gun, i.e. it was made of legos!

If I see my neighbor, fence or not, growing pot in then that is not my business. However, that comes from a more liberal side of me, being that is none of my damn business and I don't think it should be anyone's business. For all I know, it is their own stash and they aren't harming anyone in some drug trade. Hell, I suspect one of my neighbors as being drug dealers, I am not going to call the cops to have them come over and check it out, I don't really care. The moment they bring blatant activity around my house, that can change.

I see and agree totally with everything you are saying, 100%. I am just mapped a bit differently from you.

Sealgar

imported post

I concur with Tomahawk. Minding one's own business is the way to go for the most part. Reporting the needful is ok, but not to be over exercised.