• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tatical officers called to the workplace over a gun

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20091203/lego_gun_091203/20091203?hub=Toronto

A Toronto designer became a participant in a real-life Flashpoint-style event when police tactical officers showed up at his workplace over a firearms call that involved a Lego gun.
"I've had numerous people either say, 'Oh my God, I thought Flashpoint was just filming,' or, 'This is totally going to be a Flashpoint episode at some point'," Jeremy Bell told ctvtoronto.ca on Thursday. "Yeah, it's pretty surreal."
Flashpoint is a CTV drama, set in Toronto, about a police "strategic response unit."
Late Wednesday afternoon, Bell -- a partner with the digital design firm Teehan+Lax, located at 460 Richmond St. W. -- was assembling a replica handgun made out of Lego that had arrived.
"It arrived yesterday and at the end of the day, I decided to put it together. I literally assembled it, handed it to a co-worker (who promptly broke it) and then put it back in the box," Bell wrote in a posting on his personal blog.
"The SWAT arrived shortly thereafter."
Across the street, Michael Dent was working in his third-floor loft. He saw what he thought was someone assembling a firearm, so he took some photos and called the police.
"I don't really like guns right beside me -- and then it turned out to be Lego," Dent chuckled.
But he added, "My girlfriend is moving in with her daughter and stuff, and it looks right into our loft where we sleep, so no, not cool."
Dent said the door of the office was shut, and it never is, so for all he knew, someone might have been laid off "and about to go postal, so that's why I called."
Bell was in his office and then heard a voice yelling his name and instructing him to come into the hallway.
"At first I thought, 'who did I piss off?' I wasn't worried about my safety ... but I certainly wasn't expecting to see an armed officer," he said, adding he couldn't remember what type of firearm was pointed at him.
Bell said he knew he hadn't done anything wrong.
"As soon as I realized they were actual cops and this was not a joke, I was, 'What else could it be? It's got to be the stupid Lego gun I put together'," he said.
Police had him put his hands on his head and walk backwards towards them. "They cuffed me, pulled me into the stairwell and threw me against the wall. They spread my legs and checked to make sure I didn't have a weapon on me," he said.
Bell said he told them where the Lego gun was, they went to check it out and then uncuffed him. He was handcuffed for about 90 seconds.
After seeing the photos, Bell said he can understand why Dent called the cops, although to him, it's still clearly Lego.
"There's like a million pieces on the table," he said, adding, it's not like he waved it around or took it out on the street.
Const. Tony Vella of the Toronto Police Service no charges resulted from the incident, the response for which involved uniformed and tactical officers.
"We have to take all the gun calls seriously because we don't know what we're getting involved in," Vella said. "There's the potential for public risk as well as the risk to the officers' safety."
On his blog, Bell wrote: "The cops clearly don't take this shit lightly."
Dent wondered what his phone call cost the city in taxes.

Gordie

imported post

Where are the charges for the "peeping Tom" that called it in? I know I would be going after him if it had been me.

REX681959

imported post

Just goes to show another ANTI that doesn't have a clue. If you are really going to be against something at least know what it is you're against, not just some vague notion.

Armond Reese

Banned
imported post

Gordie wrote:
Where are the charges for the "peeping Tom" that called it in? I know I would be going after him if it had been me.
This.

His girlfriend and kid are moving in, why is he spying on guys?

Decoligny

imported post

Armond Reese wrote:
Gordie wrote:
This.

He was in his apartment which is across the street from an OFFICE BUILDING. He looked out his window and saw a guy with a gun in an office building, an unusual sight in Canada for sure. You make is sound like he was a vouyer looking into a men's room window with binoculors.

Gordie

imported post

Decoligny wrote:
Armond Reese wrote:
Gordie wrote:
This.

He was in his apartment which is across the street from an OFFICE BUILDING. He looked out his window and saw a guy with a gun in an office building, an unusual sight in Canada for sure. You make is sound like he was a vouyer looking into a men's room window with binoculors.

I wonder if he would be OK if the situation had been reversed? I just happened to be in the office building across the street when I looked into your apartment window and saw you doing (whatever).:shock:

Lesson here is that window blinds and curtains are good, especially if your windows are in close proximity to others.:lol:

Tomahawk

imported post

Well if I was this guy I'd build a giant middle finger sculpture out of legos and stick in my office window for that nosy butthole to look at all the time.

KBCraig

imported post

Decoligny wrote:
It's not like he was making a casual glance across the street. He's apparently very familiar with what goes on over there:

Dent said the door of the office was shut, and it never is, so for all he knew, someone might have been laid off "and about to go postal, so that's why I called."

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Well if I was this guy I'd build a giant middle finger sculpture out of legos and stick in my office window for that nosy butthole to look at all the time.
I actually did something similar with a nosy neighbor I had, but it was picture of a middle finger, with the words mind your own business under it.

Armond Reese

Banned
imported post

KBCraig wrote:
Decoligny wrote:
It's not like he was making a casual glance across the street. He's apparently very familiar with what goes on over there:

Yeah, that's what I was talking about.

SlowDog

imported post

buster81 wrote:
Dent should learn to mind his own business.
Never happen. That's the problem with Bleeding Heart Liberals. They want to mind you business but don't you dare try & mind theirs.

There's a very old & wise statement. "Those who preach tolerance are the most intolerant".

r6-rider

imported post

oh wow real TACTICAL officers?!?!?!11!!? what do those look like, are those the new ones that can deflect bullets and catch every criminal in a high speed chase???

really though, i think i hate canada... even the people that come down seem real cool until you start talking about guns, then they freak like you just mentioned a nuke hidden in the city or something

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

SlowDog wrote:
buster81 wrote:
Dent should learn to mind his own business.
Never happen. That's the problem with Bleeding Heart Liberals. They want to mind you business but don't you dare try & mind theirs.

There's a very old & wise statement. "Those who preach tolerance are the most intolerant".

HA! I think bleeding heart liberals aren't the problem here, its everyone. The guy that called in the cops should, perhaps, have observed more what was going on. I think it was a matter of hoplophobia.

I would check this article, a couple of years old but it holds relevance to today: http://www.economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/2007/05/two_weeks_after_the_economist

r6-rider wrote:
oh wow real TACTICAL officers?!?!?!11!!? what do those look like, are those the new ones that can deflect bullets and catch every criminal in a high speed chase???

really though, i think i hate canada... even the people that come down seem real cool until you start talking about guns, then they freak like you just mentioned a nuke hidden in the city or something

HA! Tactical officers indeed. Their regular officers must be called Wimpy Officers.

I can't say I hate the Canadians, they've produced a lot of funny people that come here to the U.S.; however, they are a different culture and, well, perhaps a bit misguided. But let them be frightened of us gun-totting Americans, they can always go back home and whine from up there.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

KBCraig wrote:
Decoligny wrote:

the office building was across the alley, not across the street. the homo peeping tom, nosey guy ...was probably watching this guy all the time with box of tissues close by and binoculars in hand. a peeping tom, calls the cops because he thinks he see's a guy with a gun...I guess if you live in Canada land of the sheep. Tactical cops, lol ha ha ha ...don't get me started...:lol:

buster81

imported post

I'll agree with you and disagree with you.

tekshogun wrote:
I think bleeding heart liberals aren't the problem here, its everyone.
You are right, it is everyone (almost). I have no idea if this meat head was a liberal, conservative, NDP, green party or whatever and I don't think it really matters.

tekshogun wrote:
The guy that called in the cops should, perhaps, have observed more what was going on.

I'll disagree with this. The guy should have minded his own business.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

I am in no way defending the peeping tom, or the canadian government for their actions over a toy gun, But you guys seem to forget that possession of a handgun byany regular jackoff is prohibited in Canada.

Consider this, You see into the office of some guy, and he is handling an "IGLA" 9K38 portable anti-aircraft missile system (PAMS) http://www.zid.ru/en/products/military/igla.html

Since regular jackoff citizens are prohibited from possessing something like that, I am sure you would be concerned too.

Most of the urban Canadian people I have known, absolutly freaked at the sight of a handgun, because they have been indoctrinated into the "Only police and Military should own these" mindset from birth.