• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pistol Explodes in WV Deputy Sheriff's Hand at Range

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
Steel frames! Accept no substitutes.:banghead:

I reload .40 for my GLOCK 35. Yesterday, I put 10 rounds through a chrony. The first 8 rounds were consistent at 850ish feet per second.

The 9th round kicked like a .41 Magnum and measured 1450 feet per second. :shock:

I had accidentally double charged a .40 on my Dillon 550, but to my surprise, my GLOCK 35 still functions properly with no damage.

It's not just plastic handguns. Any gun can blow up. http://www.gobango.net/basefile/assd/kabooms.htm

blowup-revo.jpg

This, like most of the pic's apart from the first which belonged to a shooting buddy, was gleaned from the web over time and so history is not known. It is assumed this gun was being tested to destruction - and apparently very successfully!
smith329-kb.jpg

A Smith 329 PD 44 Mag' which appears to have had perhaps a round double charged or worse, with Bullseye or similar fast powder. Goodbye cylinder and top strap!.
vaquero-cyl-kb.jpg

This is apparently a Vaquero cylinder and once more it is imagined that an over hot round could not be fully contained safely. Cylinder appears ruptured but not shattered.
bisley2-kb.jpg

Supposedly a Bisley and seemingly another case of too much powder! Or is a Uberti? Not sure right now but almost certainly 45 LC caliber.
colt-revo-kb.jpg

A Colt SA I believe - and rather obviously it did not survive very excessive pressures.
linebaugh-500-kb.jpg

Even the reputedly indestructible Linebaugh can break! This was apparently a 500, and one can only guess how much of an over load was impressed on its structure.
anaconda-kb.jpg

A Colt Anaconda - well trashed. I half recall reading the grisly details but now cannot remember! I have a suspicion a kaboom in one cylinder fired off another round perhaps but anyways - the end result had to have been from something pretty excessive. Messy!
bfr-kb.jpg

The demise of a once lovely BFR! It could well be, judging by its very long cylinder, a 45-70 like mine. I am guessing here the aftermath of some barrel obstruction, because I forget the details I once read. The frame and cylinder took the pressure peak but not the barrel, which is actually not over thick. Great shame.

Tomahawk

imported post

Some of those revolver failures look like black powder flash-overs. In those cases, it's not overcharged, but the bullet has nowhere to go but into the frame. I shoot black powder revolvers, and this has always been my biggest fear. Lots of Crisco FTW!

Gordie

imported post

ANYTHING can be blown up if you stress it beyond design specifications.

I remember reading about a guy who blew up 2 Ruger No.1s before he admitted to using the wrong powder in his reloads.

This sounds like an ammo problem or a fouled barrel (double charge, wrong powder, squib load?)in this Glock.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Interesting. Not ONE of those failures seems to be in the area of the STEEL trigger guard portion of the STEEL frame. You know the part that failed in the WV PLASTIC gun incident. Oh and look, all of the examples above are REVOLVERS. I think I am seeing a pattern here. This is beginning to look a lot like global warming science.

You know guys, the Glock and its polymer brethren are all ok as the failures are more likely ammo or some other issue. But it is sure fun to yank the chain on the owners. I have never seen a more defensive group of people in my life. Well I guess there is that soccer mom thing Palin was talking about.
006-%5BLaughing%5D-%5BEmoticonKing.com%5D.gif

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
Interesting. Not ONE of those failures seems to be in the area of the STEEL trigger guard portion of the STEEL frame. You know the part that failed in the WV PLASTIC gun incident. Oh and look, all of the examples above are REVOLVERS. I think I am seeing a pattern here. This is beginning to look a lot like global warming science.

You know guys, the Glock and its polymer brethren are all ok as the failures are more likely ammo or some other issue. But it is sure fun to yank the chain on the owners. I have never seen a more defensive group of people in my life. Well I guess there is that soccer mom thing Palin was talking about.
I can assure you that I don't fall into that bucket. I have a number of guns in my carry stable from which to chose and I look for several key criteria. Reliability is first and foremost and if a gun is going to go Kaboom, I am going to do some research and consider my options. My all steel carry guns are Kahrs. For pistols, I do have two 1911's and a Browning, but I am very reluctant to carrying a single action in Condition One - it's just me.

Kabooms concern me primarily because I like to do a lot of trigger discipline and the idea of bullet setback is something I really check closely. Of course, we have no control over what left the factory, but for .40's, it seems the case is loaded to capacity so the chance of an over charge is pretty slim with factory loads. This leaves case walls, barrel obstructions, and bullet setback as issues.

The first kaboom I ever saw and which made me aware of this anomaly was in a .38 Special S&W with a 2 1/2" barrel as I recall (this was in the 60's). It was a handload and the cartridge was double charged with Unique - bad thing since this is a very fast burning powder. It blew the cylinder open and the top strap was destroyed. Kinda made me aware of what can happen when one is not careful (I had just started to reload myself).

Alexcabbie

imported post

Armond Reese wrote:
Plastic is the future.

Adapt or die.
Sure it is, and so are solar-powered cars. But seriously, the part on the Glock that failed (if in fact it was solely the weapon and not overheated ammo) was the steel that failed to ccontain the blast.

Alexcabbie

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:

Oh? What are the Hi-Point crowd? Chopped liver?

Before all you HiPoint guys get in an uproar, it is a fine weapon for the price and from all accounts is reliable and one cannot beat the guarantee. I did some research on the piece a while ago and now I know why the slide is so dang big, these are blowback actions and need the extra mass.

For the price, though the Hi-Points are - well, they put the 2A in reach of citizens of modest means. Something like freedom of the press attaching to the guy who owns a press and the Internet and these forums making that right in reach of us all. The Hi-Point is the weapon of the people.

Maybe you could say it is a VolksWaffen? :celebrate

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
Of course, we have no control over what left the factory, but for .40's, it seems the case is loaded to capacity so the chance of an over charge is pretty slim with factory loads. This leaves case walls, barrel obstructions, and bullet setback as issues.

And what brand of .40 ammunition are you basing this assumptive statement on?
I have not disassembled a factory round for .40 S&W, but logic tells me they are not loaded to fullcapacitive volume.

I load for my own for my XDm .40, and the amount of powder is ridiculously low IMO, something like 4.2 grains of Titewad powder for a 180 Grain Hornady JHP. I bet i could fit 5-6 times that amount in a case without it being compressedwhen seating the bullet.

Commercial ammunition manufacturers choose their powder based on using the smallest weight they can, for the pressure and velocities they need. Why? because they buy powder based on weight, so it only makes sense to use the lightest weight load they can to get more cases charged for the same cost. (Example,why wouldyou load 10K cases with x-pounds of powder when you could load 20K with the same weight of another powder. especially when productions cost's are important)

I found this out after have a rifle KABOOM on me with factory ammo, best estimates from the professionals involved in this case was the the round had triple the charge or more, to cause the damage to the gun that it did. This was a brand new rifle, shooting ammo made by the same manufacturer that made the rifle. And it was being shot at a range, on a bench. So barrel obstruction was not a cause.

Glocks & Kabooms, those seem very limited to the 1st & 2nd generation .40's. Almost every loading manual I have read has had disclaimers about handloading for a glock .40 due to the unsupported chamber at the 6-o'clock position. Glock has modified this in later generations of the same model, and aftermarket barrel makers attended to this too.
And not all Glock Kabooms were from reloads, several were from factory ammo. There was very little injury to the operator too which surprised me.

Gunslinger

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
Well, there is one MORE reason I am leery of Glocks now.
There have been numerous instances of Glocks going bad--generally .40 S&Ws. I'm not a fan of Glocks, although will admit they are usually very well made pistols. I'll stick with my SIG GSRs and Hi-Power. As I trust them with my life, I'm not concerned about my fingers...

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Nutczak wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
Of course, we have no control over what left the factory, but for .40's, it seems the case is loaded to capacity so the chance of an over charge is pretty slim with factory loads. This leaves case walls, barrel obstructions, and bullet setback as issues.

And what brand of .40 ammunition are you basing this assumptive statement on?
I have not disassembled a factory round for .40 S&W, but logic tells me they are not loaded to fullcapacitive volume.

I load for my own for my XDm .40, and the amount of powder is ridiculously low IMO, something like 4.2 grains of Titewad powder for a 180 Grain Hornady JHP. I bet i could fit 5-6 times that amount in a case without it being compressedwhen seating the bullet.

Commercial ammunition manufacturers choose their powder based on using the smallest weight they can, for the pressure and velocities they need. Why? because they buy powder based on weight, so it only makes sense to use the lightest weight load they can to get more cases charged for the same cost. (Example,why wouldyou load 10K cases with x-pounds of powder when you could load 20K with the same weight of another powder. especially when productions cost's are important)

I found this out after have a rifle KABOOM on me with factory ammo, best estimates from the professionals involved in this case was the the round had triple the charge or more, to cause the damage to the gun that it did. This was a brand new rifle, shooting ammo made by the same manufacturer that made the rifle. And it was being shot at a range, on a bench. So barrel obstruction was not a cause.

Glocks & Kabooms, those seem very limited to the 1st & 2nd generation .40's. Almost every loading manual I have read has had disclaimers about handloading for a glock .40 due to the unsupported chamber at the 6-o'clock position. Glock has modified this in later generations of the same model, and aftermarket barrel makers attended to this too.
And not all Glock Kabooms were from reloads, several were from factory ammo. There was very little injury to the operator too which surprised me.
It was Federal 165gr HST and notice I said "it seems the case is loaded to capacity", seems being the operative word. I did not pull the bullet from a sample round to verify this - I just shook the cartridge so I could easily be wrong with this.

And I also mentioned that earlier generations had a greater amount of case exposed at the breach/feed ramp location whereas the current generation has less. Glock has seen fit to redesign this part of the barrel based upon these reports, I imagine.

ODA 226

imported post

I posted the followingin another thread. We were on the range in Taji, Iraq shooting Glock 19's with very cheap Eastern Block Ammo.

I just finished firing and saw the guy next to me fire a squib load. Before I could say anything, he fired again...

The only thing that happened was a bulged barrel. After doing a "Barrel-Ectomy" we replaced the barrel and took the pistol back to the range. It fired flawlessly and was put back into service.

I'm a die hard Colt fan, but I have to tell you, I was impressed with the toughness of that Glock!