• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

God Bless The Detroit Police Officer

eastmeyers

imported post

I was on 7 mile in Detroit on my way to work. Now I don't know exactly what happened because I simply can not remember. I was hit by a semi-truck, and the first thing I remember is two black gloves grabing me and pulling me out of my car, those gloves were worn by a Detroit Police officer. The officer just happen to be driving down the road and saw a semi parked, cock-eyed on 7 mile and decieded to stop and ticket him for impeading traffic and illegely unloading, when he noticed my car against/under the front of the truck. He instantly jumped out of his vehicle and pryed my car open and pulled me out. I don't remember any of this, I only remember seeing his leather gloves. I was NOT ticketed, although I do not remember the collision and don't know what happened. The officer says that from what he saw, herd from the truck driver, and witnesses, that the truck driver was making a right turn from the left lane, and did not stop first to make sure their was no traffic coming before making his turn without signaling. The truck driver recieved sevral tickets. After a few hours in Trama, here I am at home writing this. I will be thanking the officer in person as soon as I figure out who he is (I was pretty shaken up so I don't remember his name).

And to make it relivent I will say I was OCing my G21, and CC a .22bug. Although this was not out of the ordinary for the officer to see because I was in uniform (security), he was very polite, and only asked if he wanted me to secure my weapons, or if I felt that I was okay to carry. I kept my weapons until my OIC got me home, than off to the ER, than instantly to Trama.

Now the question. What to get this officer. I know many will say it was only his job, and I understand that, but it is Christmas time and I want to get him somthing. So just a card? Maybe a food gift card? Some ammo? What???? Please help!

Prayers are welcome too!

God Bless

EM87

imported post

Wow! That's amazing - I'm glad you're home and feeling good enough to type! I would want to thank the officer too, if I were in your position. What injuries did you sustain?

tygereye

imported post

I hope everything works out ok... glad you are well enough to be online!

As for a gift, Edible Arrangements make AWESOME baskets out of fruit... or maybe a gift certificate for a gun shop?

sevenplusone

imported post

Statkowski wrote:
A hand-written thank you letter separately to both the officer and his supervisor would be in order.

This is absolutely correct. Maybe throw in a nice restaurant gift card so he can take the family out for a dinner.

However, the good ones never get enough notice. Make sure you send a letter to him and his supervisor. It will likely lead to a letter of commendation winding up in his file.

autosurgeon

imported post

Make sure that whatever you do you send it to him at home as most LEO cannot except gratuity's!

I agree with others that whatever else you do a very detailed thank you letter to him and his supervisor will likely get him a commendation in his file. And those help when you are trying to advance!

Bailenforcer

imported post

I was talking to my best friend of almost 40 years, who happens to be a Detroit Police Officer. He's fairly well known and we bounce open carry and Constitutional issues off each other for discussion almost daily.
His reaction to the gift question was concise and simple. He said black work gloves, yes just like those you saw. He said they go through many pairs of these and the cost between $30 and $40 and it gets quite expensive. The gloves get tore up and blood soaked from pulling people out of cars and have to be thrown away. He indicated the gloves you saw were in fact a hint of what to get that officer.
I will include a link below for said gloves and GALLS is where many of us shop for Police supplies.
http://www.galls.com/gaweb.dll

http://www.galls.com/style.html?assort=general_catalog&style=GL005

I am pleased you survived this with a good spirit, as people often take for granted what these officers go through. Gratitude is the sign of a good soul.

Merry Christmas

P.S. Galls has gift cards too if I remember right.

WARCHILD

imported post

In addition to the above, I think maybe an official MOC recognition letter of thanks would be nice and maybe an official coffee mug.

Decoligny

imported post

tygereye wrote:
I hope everything works out ok... glad you are well enough to be online!

As for a gift, Edible Arrangements make AWESOME baskets out of fruit... or maybe a gift certificate for a gun shop?

Make sure you have it sent to his office. Recognition in front of peers is priceless.

Kim

imported post

Amen! I like the answer about Who you gave thanks to. I suggest a gift card to a nice restaurant. No doughnut certificates though! :monkey Or maybe to a sporting goods store. Lots of hunters in MI and he's LEO so personal stash of ammo would be a welcome gift.