• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

quick question

whoopingllama

imported post

What are the laws concerning possesion of rifles, shotguns, and hanguns in a vehicle and in general? Do you need a license and or a permit for any of these at all?

EviL inside

imported post

no permit required. the state considers your vehicle an extension of your home, and anything you can legally have concealed in your home, you can have concealed in your vehicle. it can be loaded, chambered, and within reach, no problem.

i've survived multiple traffic stops with no permit and sometimes multiple firearms on board.

whoopingllama

imported post

Ok, that's what I thought. Has there been any headway after that court decision that having your gun in your holster counts as it being concealed?

4angrybadgers

imported post

whoopingllama wrote:
Ok, that's what I thought. Has there been any headway after that court decision that having your gun in your holster counts as it being concealed?
Looking back through the threads here in the MS section, several people have tried to get the AG's office to clarify "concealed", with no luck. So I don't think anyone can say there's been much if any headway. :?

Eeyore

imported post

My personal theory, based on nothing more than general cynicism, is that "they" don't want it clarified. Leaving things contradictory and open to interpretation allows the powers that be to selectively enforce these laws. If you're one of the good ol' boys, well, the law's unclear so we'll let you be. If you're one of the "wrong" people, or ifwe just don't like you, we'll throw the book at you and see what sticks.

ehldixie

imported post

Be careful of loading rifles and shotguns in vehicle during hunting season. AGAINST THE LAW.

Double_J

imported post

The state LAW explicitly allows for ANY firearm to be loaded within a vehicle at any time, INCLUDING hunting season. The game warden only would have say if you were in a wildlife refuge or similar restricted area, not when on a main road. If you doubt me you can read the law and/or contact the DPS.

Double_J

ehldixie

imported post

Thanks. Great info. You can never get to old to learn. I am 61 and been told all my life that a loaded firearm in a vehicle in hunting season was against the law.

4angrybadgers

imported post

MS State Law Sec. 97-37-1 (2):
It shall not be a violation of this section for any person over the age of eighteen (18) to carry a firearm or deadly weapon concealed in whole or in part within the confines of his own home or his place of business, or any real property associated with his home or business or within any motor vehicle.

http://www.dps.state.ms.us/dps/dps.nsf/webFAQs/2E642C46F9AD8C5286256A3E00517477?OpenDocument

http://michie.com/mississippi/ Contains the entire MS Code of 1972. Firearms laws are in 97-37.