• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What would you do ?

Presented with an attacker with a knife would you

• 1. Show your gun?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2. Show your gun & give warning?

• 3. Fire a warning shot?

• 4. Shoot

• 5. Don't know

• Total voters

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

I chose "Shoot" because there was no other scenario presented, at what distance is this attacker, what are the circumstances that would lead one to believe their life or health is in danger?

Do I havesome young suburban punk kid brandishing a knifesaying he is going to rob me and if I do not cooperate he is going to stab me, ordo Ihave some obvious psycho that would take another persons life over something astrivial asa chicken wing?
Either way I would unholster, aim and seewhat the persons reaction is, does he do what he is toldwhen I yell for him todrop the knife and lay face down with his hands on his head?
If he turns and runs, No-shoot, and no chase.
If he comes at me, I'll Shoot.
If he complies with my commands, he gets held with the muzzle pressed to hisskull until the cops respond totakemyknee off the back his neck.

I had a person hold a knife to me during a failed carjacking event, hewas stoppedwithout me firing my gun.
But this took place in a car, while it was moving, and he was facing me with his back to the door. I sped up abruptly, slammed on the brakes, and bounced his head off the dashboard to distract him enough to draw left -handed from a concealed holster in the small of my back.
His knife landed on the floor when I slammed on the brakes, so he lifted his head only to see a stainless revolver in his face, I thought he was gonna fill his shorts when I pulled back the hammer. He got real complaint real fast.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Given the literal scenario presented (attacker is armed with a knife) I'm going to shoot.

I also agree with Nutzak's assessment that it will depend on the cercumstances of the situation, as to how I would react. If the threat can be disposed of without shooting, that's what I'll do. If not, knify guy is going to spring some serious blood leaks.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

You premise leaves only one rational choice. You say if presented with an "ATTACKER" with a knife. If I am being attacked, (i.e.. I am under the immediate threat of serious harm or death) by a person with a knife, then my attacker has brought a knife to a gun fight.

Regards

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Reading your scenario as written, without readiung anything else into or out of it, the default answer was "shoot". Imminent danger of death or serious bodily injury from an "attacker".

I see the test as not about what to do, but about how to process limited data and make a decision.

stay safe.

skidmark

M

McX

imported post

I'd show and issue them a warning to halt, as I retreated to a safe distance from them. If they advanced again, they would get one last warning.

Huck

imported post

Byattacker I assume that the individual with the knife is coming at me fixing to carve his initials in my liver. BANG! 'Nuff said.

okboomer

imported post

Glock34 wrote:
A police oficer would open fire a kill that person with a knife, so that's what I would do. Threatening me with a lethal weapon ( knife) your going to get 1 in the head & 2 in the chest :exclaim:

Watch >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeNPJ0fgWVY

No, no, no, its two to the chest, one to the head :lol:and repeat until they drop.

Nice pic dude :celebrate

bomber

imported post

funny how everyone says they'll shoot (including me) but most times, the OC'er or CC'er doesnt actually fire.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
Glock34 wrote:
A police oficer would open fire a kill that person with a knife, so that's what I would do. Threatening me with a lethal weapon ( knife) your going to get 1 in the head & 2 in the chest :exclaim:

Tisk, tisk ... Is that LINT I see in your muzzle?
lol , it just happened to be unloaded, when i took the picture...:)

Statesman

imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
Glock34 wrote:

Not with that gun! There's nothing in the chamber! LOL! ;):lol::lol::lol:
Haha! FAIL! ;)

AZkopper

imported post

The correct answer is "shoot". A knife weilding opponent within 21' is likley going to carve you like a turkey. The twenty-one foot rule is the standard for law enforcement. Outside of that (baring cover at shorter distances), commands or tactical withdrawals are possible. Under 21 feet, you will not likely not have time to react (draw and fire) before they can run at you and carve you. So, if they are within 21 feet, and acting agressively towards you with a knife, you'd better be drawing and commited to shooting.