• 3. Fire a warning shot?

1 2.22%
  • 4. Shoot

34 75.56%
  • 5. Don't know

2 4.44%

Thread: What would you do ?

Post imported post

I read somewhere that in most self defence situations no shots are fired.

Banned

Post imported post

Bang.

Knives are not a matter to take non-seriously. You come at me with a knife, you go down perforated.

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

I chose "Shoot" because there was no other scenario presented, at what distance is this attacker, what are the circumstances that would lead one to believe their life or health is in danger?

Do I havesome young suburban punk kid brandishing a knifesaying he is going to rob me and if I do not cooperate he is going to stab me, ordo Ihave some obvious psycho that would take another persons life over something astrivial asa chicken wing?
    Either way I would unholster, aim and seewhat the persons reaction is, does he do what he is toldwhen I yell for him todrop the knife and lay face down with his hands on his head?
    If he turns and runs, No-shoot, and no chase.
    If he comes at me, I'll Shoot.
    If he complies with my commands, he gets held with the muzzle pressed to hisskull until the cops respond totakemyknee off the back his neck.

I had a person hold a knife to me during a failed carjacking event, hewas stoppedwithout me firing my gun.
    But this took place in a car, while it was moving, and he was facing me with his back to the door. I sped up abruptly, slammed on the brakes, and bounced his head off the dashboard to distract him enough to draw left -handed from a concealed holster in the small of my back.
    His knife landed on the floor when I slammed on the brakes, so he lifted his head only to see a stainless revolver in his face, I thought he was gonna fill his shorts when I pulled back the hammer. He got real complaint real fast.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Given the literal scenario presented (attacker is armed with a knife) I'm going to shoot.

I also agree with Nutzak's assessment that it will depend on the cercumstances of the situation, as to how I would react. If the threat can be disposed of without shooting, that's what I'll do. If not, knify guy is going to spring some serious blood leaks.

Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar

Post imported post

You premise leaves only one rational choice. You say if presented with an "ATTACKER" with a knife. If I am being attacked, (i.e.. I am under the immediate threat of serious harm or death) by a person with a knife, then my attacker has brought a knife to a gun fight.

Regards
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

Post imported post

Reading your scenario as written, without readiung anything else into or out of it, the default answer was "shoot". Imminent danger of death or serious bodily injury from an "attacker".

I see the test as not about what to do, but about how to process limited data and make a decision.

stay safe.

skidmark
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Campaign Veteran GlockMeisterG21's Avatar

Post imported post

Bang bang. Evaluate situation. Repeat as needed.
    The 1911 pistol remains the service pistol of choice in the eyes of those who understand the problem. Back when we audited the FBI academy in 1947, I was told that I ought not to use my pistol in their training program because it was not fair. Maybe the first thing one should demand of his sidearm is that it be unfair. Col. Jeff Cooper, GUNS & AMMO, January 2002

McX

Post imported post

I'd show and issue them a warning to halt, as I retreated to a safe distance from them. If they advanced again, they would get one last warning.

Post imported post

Byattacker I assume that the individual with the knife is coming at me fixing to carve his initials in my liver. BANG! 'Nuff said.
    "You can teach 'em, but you cant learn 'em."

Post imported post

A police oficer would open fire a kill that person with a knife, so that's what I would do. Threatening me with a lethal weapon ( knife) your going to get 1 in the head & 2 in the chest

Watch >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeNPJ0fgWVY
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

Post imported post

Glock34 wrote:
    A police oficer would open fire a kill that person with a knife, so that's what I would do. Threatening me with a lethal weapon ( knife) your going to get 1 in the head & 2 in the chest

No, no, no, its two to the chest, one to the head and repeat until they drop.

Nice pic dude :celebrate
    cheers - okboomer
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Lead, follow, or get out of the way

Exercising my 2A Rights does NOT make me a CRIMINAL! Infringing on the exercise of those rights makes YOU one!

Post imported post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SADYkde0Nqg

says it all whether a knife attack is deadly force.
    cheers - okboomer
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Lead, follow, or get out of the way

Exercising my 2A Rights does NOT make me a CRIMINAL! Infringing on the exercise of those rights makes YOU one!

Post imported post

Glock34 wrote:

Not with that gun! There's nothing in the chamber! LOL!
    Bitka Sve Reava!
    B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

Post imported post

funny how everyone says they'll shoot (including me) but most times, the OC'er or CC'er doesnt actually fire.

Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar

Post imported post

Glock34 wrote:
    A police oficer would open fire a kill that person with a knife, so that's what I would do.** Threatening me with a lethal weapon ( knife)* your going to get* 1 in the head & 2 in the chest

Watch >>* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeNPJ0fgWVY
    Tisk, tisk ... Is that LINT I see in your muzzle?
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

Post imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
    Glock34 wrote:

Tisk, tisk ... Is that LINT I see in your muzzle?
    lol , it just happened to be unloaded, when i took the picture...
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Post imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
    Glock34 wrote:

Not with that gun! There's nothing in the chamber! LOL!
    Haha! FAIL!

Post imported post

okboomer wrote:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SADYkde0Nqg

says it all whether a knife attack is deadly force.
    Just because you prove you can get a shot off doesn't mean your attacker will stop.

Post imported post

The correct answer is "shoot". A knife weilding opponent within 21' is likley going to carve you like a turkey. The twenty-one foot rule is the standard for law enforcement. Outside of that (baring cover at shorter distances), commands or tactical withdrawals are possible. Under 21 feet, you will not likely not have time to react (draw and fire) before they can run at you and carve you. So, if they are within 21 feet, and acting agressively towards you with a knife, you'd better be drawing and commited to shooting.

Post imported post

I want to know what idiot said "Fire a warning shot"? Whowould you possiblykill in the next block with it?
    The thing about common sense is....it ain't too common.
    Will Rogers