• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I was thanked!

JBURGII

imported post

I was shopping in WINCO for monthly groceries while OCing my nickel plated .38s&w. After maybe an hour of shopping a woman stopped her cart near mine said, "Excuse me, but I would like to thank you for carrying openly."

It took me a second to recover, but we talked for a few minutes about her carry habits (concealed) and went on shopping.. a great boost!

At checkout an older fellow told me not to shoot myself in the leg like that football fella.. (joke) and then talked fondly about his detective special he used to carry.

Last month at the same WINCOa woman was near me telling her family, "He must be a copper.", I corrected her and then her mother said, "He would have a permit to carry that thing." So we had a brief lesson (politely and curious they were) about Oregon laws.. pamphlet in had..

It has been very positive around here..

Have a great Christmas season my friends!

Rev. Jim

NCjones

imported post

JBURGII wrote:
... "He would have a permit to carry that thing." So we had a brief lesson (politely and curious they were) about Oregon laws.. pamphlet in had..

It has been very positive around here..

Have a great Christmas season my friends!

Rev. Jim

It's really amazing that in AMERICA of all places, people have been condition to believe that nothing is allowed unless the government gives you permission to do it.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

It kind of lieves you speechless for a moment when some one "Thanks" you for being armed, doesn't it. Happened to me once in downdown Nashville, when a woman "thanked" me for being prepared to defend self and others, when she noticed my OC'dCV 82 on my hip. For a few seconds I didn't know what to say.

JBURGII

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
It kind of lieves you speechless for a moment when some one "Thanks" you for being armed, doesn't it. Happened to me once in downdown Nashville, when a woman "thanked" me for being prepared to defend self and others, when she noticed my OC'dCV 82 on my hip. For a few seconds I didn't know what to say.

It took me a second to catch my thoughts and respond.. I get the occasional comment on what type of revolver it is from older fellows.. but a woman and a thank you?? I was smiling the rest of the shopping trip..

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Puddin99 wrote:
And a :celebrate

BTW, what is this term 'monthly groceries'? I have never heard of it with 3 teenage boys.

Originally, it was called a "storesor supplyrun". It was what rural folks (the ones that live more than twenty miles from town) did about once a month when they hitched the horses/mules up to their wagon and headed to town to get stuff the needed that they couldn't grow/produce themselves. Some times these trips could take more than a day to make. If they live further from a town or trading post, they might make the trip every other month.

An old timer told me that back in the day (in Florida) the people that lived in Miccanopy, Fl (about a 30 minute drive from Gainesville today) took three days to travel to Gainesville for one of these "stores runs" by horse drawn wagon. 1st day was getting to the south side of Paines Prairy where they camped for the night. Next morning, they took the ferry across the lake (dried up now) into G'ville to get their shopping done and then backacorss the lake to campthat evening. They broke camp on the third morning and traversed home.

Such supply acquesitions can still be done today, but it takes planning and sticking to a dailey ration of stores (groceries). It also helps if you grow your own vegetables and preserve them. You got 3 boys?You got plenty of helpwith thegardening. Tell them if they don't work, they won't eat. :D

JBURGII

imported post

I grew up #8 of 8 kids, we had a garden and fruit trees as well as a Mother who did a lot of home cooking and baking.. I still try to follow those patterns even today with my shopping and cooking. Not saying I don't have to make mid month supply trips..

I don't eat out much anymore so its amazing how much groceries you can stock with that extra funds!! Oh, and it leaves more ammo funds.. :)

I live in rural Oregon where we have to go at least 20 miles to the good store.. I want to move even farther out.. the farther the better..

Rev. Jim

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I was the oldest of 6 kids. We all ahd to work in the garden when we got big enough to tell the difference between the vegatable plants and weeds. My mom did allot of canning.

I recall reading, once when I was a kid, that $3 worth of seed can produce around $380 worth of fresh vegatables (retail value at store). I suspect that that hasn't changed.

For some reason, those home grown and preserved vegies seem to taste better than the store baught stuff in a tin can. ;)

JBURGII

imported post

Fresh homegrown is the best.. and it does seem to taste better.. not sure if that is imagined or not.. either way I will take it.. things keep going the way they are we will have to keep a garden.. well that is if they don't tax it..

update: so far at least a dozen trips to Shari's Resteraunt this year with no negative reaction, a couple of double takes when folks look again but no panic or sudden violence has occured due to my .38.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Rev. Jim

We-the-People

imported post

Hey all, I'm still around, just been busy with college......where I carry an empty holster and take every opportunity to tell folks why. I had speech class this quarter, that was a lot of fun!

Anyway, I was thanked this week as well. Blew me away that this gentleman that I'd been talking with and helping to find some plumbing parts for his broken pipes (I was looking for my frozen pipes) said "thank you for your service and for open carrying".

Two weeks ago I had a woman in Carl's Jr ask "it that real".....after telling her that it indeed was she said she only had a shotgun. Since I was carrying my new Taurus Judge I told her mine was a shotgun as well. "No way" was her response and we had a nice conversation that included her apparently not so educated boyfriend saying "you can get birdshot for anything". I explained the judge as well as the laws and several other people joined in to listen.

It's getting better out there!!

JBURGII

imported post

Anyplace I know does not allow OC, I secure my weapon and wear the open holster in.. I have gotten more notice from that than when the .38 is in place now that you mention it.. hmmm... wierd..

Rev. Jim

We-the-People

imported post

JBURGII wrote:
Anyplace I know does not allow OC, I secure my weapon and wear the open holster in.. I have gotten more notice from that than when the .38 is in place now that you mention it.. hmmm... wierd..

Rev. Jim
If it's legal, I carry the weapon with the exception of the college where I carry the empty holster and refuse to say where the weapon is. If I am "trespassed" I'll leave, along with my money, leaving any groceries or other products in any shopping cart or food on the table.

DenWin

imported post

JBURGII wrote:
update: so far at least a dozen trips to Shari's Resteraunt this year with no negative reaction, a couple of double takes when folks look again but no panic or sudden violence has occured due to my .38.
Wait, you mean just because a firearm is in the area, small worm holes of violence, mayhem, and destruction DON'T JUST APPEAR!?!?!?! :shock: No wonder nothing has been happening around me! :banghead::quirky

JBURGII

imported post

DenWin wrote:
JBURGII wrote:
Wait, you mean just because a firearm is in the area, small worm holes of violence, mayhem, and destruction DON'T JUST APPEAR!?!?!?! :shock: No wonder nothing has been happening around me! :banghead::quirky

This baffles me.. I have heard of these little bubbles of instant chaos that float around causing problems with the good sheep of this country. Sheeple spies have been convinced by wolves (politicians) that these bubbles are caused or attatched to those of us who are aware and prepared. I guess you could akin them to wifflebiffles.. those little things that are just out of your line of site yet you can still see them.. but can't quite catch a good look..

So from now on a wifflebiffle is a chaos bubble we need to use our SA to keep an eye out for.. I think that by watching for them it disrupts their patterns and abilities. Please post wifflebiffle 'sightings' here so we can chart and track their movements.

Thank you all!

Rev. Jim

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

JBURGII wrote:
DenWin wrote:
JBURGII wrote:

This baffles me.. I have heard of these little bubbles of instant chaos that float around causing problems with the good sheep of this country. Sheeple spies have been convinced by wolves (politicians) that these bubbles are caused or attatched to those of us who are aware and prepared. I guess you could akin them to wifflebiffles.. those little things that are just out of your line of site yet you can still see them.. but can't quite catch a good look..

So from now on a wifflebiffle is a chaos bubble we need to use our SA to keep an eye out for.. I think that by watching for them it disrupts their patterns and abilities. Please post wifflebiffle 'sightings' here so we can chart and track their movements.

Thank you all!

Rev. Jim

Sounds like an excellant re-emptive plan Rev. Jim. I'm on board with it.

Now, all we need is a description of these wifflebiffles so we know what to look for. ;)

JBURGII

imported post

While there have been no concrete descriptions of a wifflebiffle, sources who wish to remain unnamed have stated the closest anyone has come to describing one is a fuzzy but definite resemblence to Pelosi.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

JBURGII wrote:
While there have been no concrete descriptions of a wifflebiffle, sources who wish to remain unnamed have stated the closest anyone has come to describing one is a fuzzy but definite resemblence to Pelosi.
OK, so we just keep our eyes open for anything that looks evil. Gotcha.

JBURGII

imported post

Another 'Thank you.' experience... I was ordering some $1 fish sandwiches at my local McDonald's when a fella walked up on my strong side but he made sure he had my attention while approaching, he then said, "I would like to give you kudos for carrying your pistol openly."

Then he showed me his Colt Commander in a shoulder rig under his motorcycle jacket.. hehe.. we had a 20 minute discussion on current state of affairs and then chatted about motorcycling as well.. a wonderful day in the neighborhood.