Thread: Vacation in colorado

Post imported post

As i do every year with my family i will be going up to our cabin in the White river Natl Forest, near meeker. i have a few questions since i am going to be driving this time. im coming from california so im not to familiar with colorado gun laws. and my family that lives in colorado isnt much help because they arent to informed on the gun laws there.

1. to legally open carry you just have to be 18 years or older and have the firearm unloaded? can you open carry in the natl forest? unloaded or possibly loaded?

2. when cc in the car do you have to be 21 or just 18? again does this law apply in the natl forest?

thanks in advance for your help. i cant wait until i move to colorado and go to CSU in another year. cant wait to get out of commifornia!

Post imported post

Colorado law makes CC inside a car equivalant to OC outside a car.

CRS 18-12-204(3)(a):
    A person who may lawfully possess a handgun may carry a handgun under the following circumstances without obtaining a [CC]permit and the handgun shall not be considered concealed:
    (I) The handgun is in the possession of a person who is in a private automobile or in some other private means of conveyance and who carries the handgun for a legal use, including self-defense.

There are no restrictions onOC in a national forest, although there are some restrictions on target shooting, which tend to vary from place to place.

In general terms, don't carry into any government building, and you'll be fine.

Post imported post

ok cool thanks. just for some clarification. when oc'n in the forest can the pistol be loaded with a round chambered? and when it says "anyone who can lawfully possess a firearm" does that mean 21+ or is it 18+?

Post imported post

You only have to be 18. And you can carry loaded with a round in the chamber
    "There are those who still think they are holding the pass against a revolution that may be coming up the road. But they are gazing in the wrong direction. The revolution is behind them. It went by in the Night of Depression, singing songs of freedom" -- Garet Garrett, The Revolution Was (1938)

Post imported post

You need to be 21 to PURCHASE a handgun, and 21 to obtain a Colorado CCW permitand use said CCW.

You need to be 18 to POSSESS a handgun and it must be OCed. Chambered round is fine.

IANAL!!!

Post imported post

Even though the minimum age is only 18 for OC, I would still be prepared to get stopped by police of you are only 18.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Anyone open carried in the are of Pegosa Springs, or Wolf Creek ski area? Going there in 3 weeks.... Last time in Durango I even open carried in a bar with no problems...wasn't drinking though....