• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Vacation in colorado

TSmith

imported post

As i do every year with my family i will be going up to our cabin in the White river Natl Forest, near meeker. i have a few questions since i am going to be driving this time. im coming from california so im not to familiar with colorado gun laws. and my family that lives in colorado isnt much help because they arent to informed on the gun laws there.

1. to legally open carry you just have to be 18 years or older and have the firearm unloaded? can you open carry in the natl forest? unloaded or possibly loaded?

2. when cc in the car do you have to be 21 or just 18? again does this law apply in the natl forest?

thanks in advance for your help. i cant wait until i move to colorado and go to CSU in another year. cant wait to get out of commifornia!

Flyer22

imported post

Colorado law makes CC inside a car equivalant to OC outside a car.

CRS 18-12-204(3)(a):
A person who may lawfully possess a handgun may carry a handgun under the following circumstances without obtaining a [CC]permit and the handgun shall not be considered concealed:
(I) The handgun is in the possession of a person who is in a private automobile or in some other private means of conveyance and who carries the handgun for a legal use, including self-defense.

There are no restrictions onOC in a national forest, although there are some restrictions on target shooting, which tend to vary from place to place.

In general terms, don't carry into any government building, and you'll be fine.

TSmith

imported post

ok cool thanks. just for some clarification. when oc'n in the forest can the pistol be loaded with a round chambered? and when it says "anyone who can lawfully possess a firearm" does that mean 21+ or is it 18+?

Evil Ernie

imported post

You need to be 21 to PURCHASE a handgun, and 21 to obtain a Colorado CCW permitand use said CCW.

You need to be 18 to POSSESS a handgun and it must be OCed. Chambered round is fine.

IANAL!!!

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Even though the minimum age is only 18 for OC, I would still be prepared to get stopped by police of you are only 18.

Count

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Anyone open carried in the are of Pegosa Springs, or Wolf Creek ski area? Going there in 3 weeks.... Last time in Durango I even open carried in a bar with no problems...wasn't drinking though....