• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

GMU Board of Visitors Appointed by Governor

virginiatuck

imported post

• Are there any pro-gun GMU Board members?
  • Are there any vacancies on the Board or any terms expiring soon?
  • Are there any pro-gun candidates that could be appointed to the Board while we have a generally pro-gun Governor?
§ 23-91.26. Appointment and terms of visitors generally.

(a) The board shall consist of sixteen members, who shall be appointed by the Governor. Of the sixteen members, two may be nonresidents of Virginia.

(b) In 1972 the Governor shall appoint the members of the board for terms beginning July 1, 1972. At least one of the members appointed each year beginning in 1978 shall be an alumnus of George Mason University or of the George Mason College Division of the University of Virginia and, insofar as is possible, ten of the sixteen members shall be representative of the principal political subdivisions comprising Planning District Number Eight and of Fauquier County. Four of such appointments shall be for terms of four years each, four for terms of three years, four for terms of two years, and four for terms of one year. Subsequent appointments shall be for terms of four years; provided, however, that appointments to fill vacancies occurring otherwise than by expiration of terms shall be for the unexpired terms.

(c) All appointments shall be subject to confirmation by the General Assembly. Members shall continue to hold office until their successors have been appointed and have qualified.

nova

imported post

I'd like to attend one of their meetings, since they're open to the public. However even though they show the dates of scheduled meetings they don't give a location (as far as I could search).

Their weapons policy (not the VAC, just the one that applies for university staff/faculty/students) is shown as being up for revision every year, I'd love to get a bunch of us to show up and demand "change"...

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I wonder what it takes to get on the board. I'm eligible, being an alumnus of the GMUSL. That might be fun.

virginiatuck

imported post

user wrote:
I wonder what it takes to get on the board. I'm eligible, being an alumnus of the GMUSL. That might be fun.
More information here, including bios of current board members.

According to this press release, the Virginia Commission on Higher Education Appointments identifies and recommends candidates for the Board of Visitors to the Governor. The commission was created by an executive order of Gov. Mark Warner in 2002. (see attached file)