• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

#1 way to persuade someone to carry a gun?

TechnoWeenie

imported post

it's a personal decision, and it's not just a 'right' but a responsibility too. Not everyone is up to it.

Forcing someone into something will do nothing but breed ignorance and tragedy.

Having a gun on someone who's not willing to use it means someone else WILL take it and WILL use it.

Commodore76

imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
it's a personal decision, and it's not just a 'right' but a responsibility too. Not everyone is up to it.

Having a gun on someone who's not willing to use it means someone else WILL take it and WILL use it.

Yeah, so how is anyone here advocating "forcing" someone to carry a gun? How would one go about "forcing" another to carry a gun? Would it not, at that point, be a fair fight?

I believe the INTENT of the question is how to bring someone around to the opinion that they can and that it might just be their responsibility. If they are unaware of the extent of their "right" to self defense and the defense of others, should we all keep the big secret from them? Or, as 007 has done here, ask the questions finding out positive ways to educate people.

I think we should do our best to educate folks as to the positives of firearms ownership and carry. Not beat the dead horse over and over and over about what CAN go wrong.

No shlt, Sherlock, lack of training in MANY aspects of life can be dangerous. Thanks for sharing that huge nugget of wisdom with us here.

Commodore76

imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:

Yeah, so how is anyone here advocating "forcing" someone to carry a gun? How would one go about "forcing" another to carry a gun? Would it not, at that point, be a fair fight?

I believe the INTENT of the question is how to bring someone around to the opinion that they can and that it might just be their responsibility. If they are unaware of the extent of their "right" to self defense and the defense of others, should we all keep the big secret from them? Or, as 007 has done here, ask the questions finding out positive ways to educate people.

I think we should do our best to educate folks as to the positives of firearms ownership and carry. Not beat the dead horse over and over and over about what CAN go wrong.

No shlt, Sherlock, lack of training in MANY aspects of life can be dangerous. Thanks for sharing that huge nugget of wisdom with us here.

New Daddy

imported post

seattleric007 wrote:
New Daddy, whats wrong with giving people the true facts and the encouragement to make that decision, and what is the best way to go about that? Any idea's?
But you didn't say give them facts. That's another discussion. However, I have no problem with telling people why I carry.

Encouragement is different. Unfortunately, many people are not strong-minded and encouragement might actually be persuasion/coercion. People that would accept this are exactly the type that shouldn't be carrying (IMO).

Tell them why you do it - and then let them make up their own mind. If they started saying they're going to do it! I'd actually discourage them - and talk about the downside and the need for training. If they choose to move forward, encourage them to get training.

seattleric007

Banned
imported post

You know Phssthpok, my mom was brutily mugged on the streets of Oakland when I was 12 years old. It left her disabled for the rest of her life. My parents wouldn't alow guns in the house.I had to sneak my first one. One night someone tried to steal my dad's truck from in front of the house. My mom was calling the police and my dad was watching from the window. I ran out the front door with my gun and confronted the person.I pointed the gun at his head and was ready to blow the fucker away, when I told him to freeze. Turned out it was a kid a year behind when I was in high school and he was steal gas out of my dad's truck. I told him to get the **** out of there and he did. I ran into his mother at the drug store where I was working as a cashier at the time. I told her while I was checking her out, that I almost shot your son to death for stealling gas out of my dad truck. She thanked me for telling her. But my point is my mother even after her mugging would never do anything to protect herself. She didn't like me having a gun in the house, and we had "the talk" about it, but I had had it for over a year and locked up and safe, so they allowed it.But I know first hand that some people are just pussy and you can't change them. But we can advertise and get these pussies to be at least neutral, and thats all we need to maintain our pro gun laws in this state that is going liberal. Thanks for the input, and If you come up with any advertisement idea's it would be greatly appreciated. Eric.