• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

#1 way to persuade someone to carry a gun?

kito109654

imported post

In my eyes, that's like trying to convince someone to eat a healthy diet. You might be tempted to try because you care about their health but it's not a good idea. We have to see the value and merit for ourselves in taking on a new responsibility.

IMHO, the correct course of action is to set the example and defend one's choice when asked about it. You wouldn't have any trouble defending your choice to eat a healthy diet but why would pushing your food choices on someone else even cross your mind?

____Not to beat a dead horse butthe risk of aviolent mugging is a poor reason to attempt to convince someone to carry a gunin the same waythat the risk of heart disease is a poor reason to push your eating habits on someone else.

seattleric007

Banned
imported post

Phssthpok, how does that contrast with fear mongering done by the media, not that your idea isn't a good one, just isn't there a better emotion to apeal to? Can you help me with this?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

seattleric007 wrote:
I'm looking for the#1 way to persuade someone to carry a gun? I bet I don't get any good answer's.

Trick question. There is no #1 way to persuade anybody of anything. Believe it or not there are literally some people you have to persuade to live, meaning you have to persuade them not to suicide. And even then, some aren't persuaded.

Every person is different.

What you want is the way that is most likely to succeed with the person in front of you. That will take some discussion. Finding out and handling any objections. Etc. All the things salesmen do.

Trigger Dr

imported post

Every living person has a variety of appetites. Some are for food, some for sex, some for security,some for danger. You need to find the appetite that person has that is closest to safety and survival and then feed it.

Overcome the "fear" of an inanimate object by familiarization (Pavlov) this then turns intocuriosity. Feed the curiosity with experience, yours and theirs. Remember Deros taking the Safeway employees shooting?

kito109654

imported post

seattleric007 wrote:
Kito, I read the words value, merit, responsibility, your on a good track. Can you elaberated more on this?

A bit, yes. By choosing to carry a pistol for whatever reason, one acceptsthe relatively large responsibility of making sure that the pistol is at all times and in all ways safe and under one's control. The reason the responsibility is large is becauseone of the manyconsequences of failing to uphold the responsiblity could be loss of life.
So one must be convinced (1)of their ability to handle the responsibility, (2)that there is a reason to warrant the risks involved, (3)and that the propensity for needing the weapon is higher than the propensity for negligence.

To be much more specific would be a fallacy, I think. I would not attempt to speculate what would constitute value and merit to another person; it will never be the same twice.

We have to realize that some people are simply out of touch with "what ifs." They wear their seatbelt because they have to if they don't want a ticket. They eat poorly all the time because heart disease "couldn't happen to them." Good luck getting such a person to take their own safety into their own hands.

People are lazy. Just to get someone to consider the risk vs reward involved is a huge chore.

Bottom Line:
Logic and persuasion are not enough. People need to motivate and convince themselves that there is reason to warrant the trouble.

seattleric007

Banned
imported post

Ok, the target audience is the average seattle citizen who doesn't think one way or another about guns, personal safety, they are just going about thier lives.The other part of the audience is leaning more against guns. I am in the early planning stages of funding a positive pro-gunad campaign, and trying to come up with the perfect ad that doesn't offend, but persuades people to our cause, the medium will be billboards. I don't want to screw this up, so I'm asking for your help. Thanks.

seattleric007

Banned
imported post

Thanks Kito, How would you demonstrate that in a billboard? Saying something about safety of the weapon, ability of the owner to operate it safely, showing the vulablity of the person, thus justifying the need. Maybe an old ladyholding up a target with the center shot out of it, saying my beretta has three safeties so it won't go off by accident, and I don't want to wait 7 minutes for a cop, or be a victim, or what else?

New Daddy

imported post

I would never counsel someone to buy a gun, or even recommend that they have one. It's a responsibility not to be taken lightly and each person needs to make up their own mind on the issue.

seattleric007

Banned
imported post

New Daddy, whats wrong with giving people the true facts and the encouragement to make that decision, and what is the best way to go about that? Any idea's?

Phssthpok

imported post

seattleric007 wrote:
Phssthpok, how does that contrast with fear mongering done by the media, not that your idea isn't a good one, just isn't there a better emotion to apeal to? Can you help me with this?

I think you misunderstand me. I don't' mean one should warn them of the possible dangers of violence.

I mean mug them...VIOLENTLY. Pop their bubble. Violate their safety. Rattle their nerves. Shake up their world-view. Screw appealing to emotion... make 'em THINK!

If they are unwilling to take responsibility for their own safety after that, then there is nothing more you can do.

(you never specified that the #1 way should be legal, or even moral ;))

kito109654

imported post

seattleric007 wrote:
Thanks Kito, How would you demonstrate that in a billboard? Saying something about safety of the weapon, ability of the owner to operate it safely, showing the vulablity of the person, thus justifying the need. Maybe an old ladyholding up a target with the center shot out of it, saying my beretta has three safeties so it won't go off by accident, and I don't want to wait 7 minutes for a cop, or be a victim, or what else?

You're welcome. For billboard ideas, check out the link below. Get to know the whole site, click every link,read every page. The author of the site might be someone to get in touch with. He has lots of great visual aids.

http://www.a-human-right.com/

As far as an ad campaign, I see eye to eye with NewDaddy on this issue.

Metalhead47

imported post

Phssthpok wrote:
seattleric007 wrote:

I think you misunderstand me. I don't' mean one should warn them of the possible dangers of violence.

I mean mug them...VIOLENTLY. Pop their bubble. Violate their safety. Rattle their nerves. Shake up their world-view. Screw appealing to emotion... make 'em THINK!

If they are unwilling to take responsibility for their own safety after that, then there is nothing more you can do.

(you never specified that the #1 way should be legal, or even moral ;))
I like phssthpok's idea. It's more fun.:celebrate
besides I think the average Seattle citizen is little more than an utterly mindless sheep being led to the slaughter. Not even the Second Coming would "shake up their world-view"

Batousaii

imported post

There is an old adage of "Success is the best revenge". I think some of this fundamental can be applied here for "persuading someone to carry a gun" (or at least learn to accept and respect those of us that do).

- Simply, carry a gun yourself, look damn good doing it, and present yourself confidently, polite with a touch of chivalry, and you'll stand out as one of the good guys. The end effect is hopefully more people wanting to emulate this behaviour, themselves believing that with the proper application of firearms knowledge, confidence, proper social image, etc, that they too can "be one of the good guys". Also, they might notice the "bad guys" tend to behave a little more agreeable in your presence than when left to their own accord. If they comment on this observation, respectfully comment that criminals are often deterred by the possibility of an equal, or superiorprey, and relate that to improved community safety. At no point do we want to sound off or appear to be akin to a vigilante, so it has to be related in a much more moderate frame, presenting a strong image, but not overpowering - strive for the balance here.

- I would think, subtle influence and patience will get more "sheeple" to learn, grow and blossom into the realization that they too can in fact be responsible for their own safety, both of self, and community... and possibly prevent phssthpok's mugging--lol.

Just my thoughts, hope i understood your question correctly (I assume you were referring to the masses as a whole, not a friend, spouse, or individual).

:cool:Bat

Commodore76

imported post

For guys and gals alike, I have not had much luck on the topic of getting them to think in more of a defense mindset personally. It is rarely good to try and argue the point or convince someone by citing anything such as personal experience or reasons why I carry. We are all different and the person I usually find myself talking to is well aware that he/she is different than I am.

What has worked VERY well for me as far as answering the question "why do you own a gun" is to simply hand them a business card and say "let me show you." IF they call, we set a time to meet at a local range, I cover the basics of safe handling and marksmanship, then, under supervision, allow them to squeeze offas many rounds as they'd like.

The first few shots can be a little uneasy for them. Sit back, smile and tell em that they're doing better than you did your first time out (whether it be true or not, make them feel good) You know that you have done your job when they get past the"nervous" shots and take one, well placed round and get a really sincere grin on their face. You'reon the right path tohelping them to understand the FUN of shooting. The rest is much easier. If you're not a qualified RSO or don't feelyou're the best person to teach,consult aninstructor, we're not hard to find!

The absolute BEST way that I've found to get ladies truly interested is to let them make up their own minds after doing a bit of research. Of course I recommend a web site for them, I'm not willing to let them find Washington Cease Fire by accident!

Send folks to Kathy Jackson'sweb site,http://www.corneredcat.com/TOC.aspx

Let them do a little reading. Almost everyone who has taken the time to read some of those articles/blogs/stories is convinced that they need to be a part of this defensive mentality.

Hope this was helpful!

Respectfully,

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Batousaii wrote:
- Simply, carry a gun yourself, look damn good doing it, and present yourself confidently, polite with a touch of chivalry, and you'll stand out as one of the good guys.

I have been consciously practicing the bold portion of Bat's tip, myself. Simply holding a door for a lady has resulted in very positive responses. I've even had a couple gush over experiencing an old and near forgotten custom of having a hat tipped to them as they enter the held door.

I consider it my way of rubbing the "old West" in the noses of anyone that may have fears of it's return. Chivalry was a very strong part of it that most have forgotten.

Commodore76

imported post

Batousaii wrote:
There is an old adage of "Success is the best revenge". I think some of this fundamental can be applied here for "persuading someone to carry a gun" (or at least learn to accept and respect those of us that do).

- Simply, carry a gun yourself, look damn good doing it, and present yourself confidently, polite with a touch of chivalry, and you'll stand out as one of the good guys. The end effect is hopefully more people wanting to emulate this behaviour, themselves believing that with the proper application of firearms knowledge, confidence, proper social image, etc, that they too can "be one of the good guys". Also, they might notice the "bad guys" tend to behave a little more agreeable in your presence than when left to their own accord. If they comment on this observation, respectfully comment that criminals are often deterred by the possibility of an equal, or superiorprey, and relate that to improved community safety. At no point do we want to sound off or appear to be akin to a vigilante, so it has to be related in a much more moderate frame, presenting a strong image, but not overpowering - strive for the balance here.

- I would think, subtle influence and patience will get more "sheeple" to learn, grow and blossom into the realization that they too can in fact be responsible for their own safety, both of self, and community... and possibly prevent phssthpok's mugging--lol.

Just my thoughts, hope i understood your question correctly (I assume you were referring to the masses as a whole, not a friend, spouse, or individual).

I love the way your brain works! Well spoken, Sir!