• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

traffic stop, CHP, 4th amendment questions...

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
...SNIP
We really need to meet over a few beers sometime...do you think Nobama would host us at the White House?

ROTF, LMAO

I doubt they would invite us but I think I know someone who can get us in.

I think I smell an OC outing in the air. But where? You are not as far as Bristol, but you are WAY down state from here. Last time I drove down there it was about 4 hours. Now I suppose I could fly down. Maybe Suffolk or Williamsburg. What small airfields you got near you that aren't under military restricted airspace? I have a terrible allergy to military jets and blackhawks when I fly. :what:

Regard

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
I realize that in their zeal to respond to posts each day people do not linger at the top pages of the forum very long. So it is no surprise to me that many in this thread (well two of you anyway) may not have noticed a device that may be right up your alley.

Rather than putting the gun in your lap or in the seat, how about we give some business and support to one of OCDOs advertisers and buy this guys product. They are linked (with others) from the top of the main OCDO forum home page. If you are removing the weapon because it is simply uncomfortable and you have a permit to CCW, why not?

I have also used Tucker leather for standard holsters of custom design and they do very nice work. They can make holsters that are comfortable and work well.

Now I do like the contrivance that Peter Nap described. It is OC legal and it is also covered by anti NCIC insurance. With some minor "tweaking" it might even become seizure proof.:lol:

Am I the only one who has ever wondered what a LEO might do about a "Texas Cadillac" with the pistols mounted on the hood? Just before tossing the driver on the hood would the LEO seize the pistols for officer safety?:what:

Regards
I made that in retaliation for one of Leo229's "Leo's have the right" threads.
What happened to him anyway...?

Yall finally hurt that poor boys feelings:lol:

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:
...SNIP
We really need to meet over a few beers sometime...do you think Nobama would host us at the White House?

ROTF, LMAO

I think I smell an OC outing in the air. But where? You are not as far as Bristol, but you are WAY down state from here. Last time I drove down there it was about 4 hours. Now I suppose I could fly down. Maybe Suffolk or Williamsburg. What small airfields you got near you that aren't under military restricted airspace? I have a terrible allergy to military jets and blackhawks when I fly. :what:

Regard
Suffolk: http://www.airnav.com/airport/KSFQ

Wakefield: http://www.airnav.com/airport/KAKQ

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

SaltH2OHokie wrote:
Hawkflyer wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:
...SNIP

ROTF, LMAO

Regard

Wakefield would be my choice because I like small fields. But Suffolk would do. I might could fly down for lunch some Saturday. With the short days I would have to get out of there by no later than 13:00-14:00 to get back at a reasonable hour.

We should do it sometime. Maybe take Great Dismal from the air.

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
SaltH2OHokie wrote:
Hawkflyer wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:
...SNIP

ROTF, LMAO

Regard

Wakefield would be my choice because I like small fields. But Suffolk would do. I might could fly down for lunch some Saturday. With the short days I would have to get out of there by no later than 13:00-14:00 to get back at a reasonable hour.

Don't know what the VA Diner's stance on OC is, but its spittin distance from the runway at Wakefield, and has good food. Just a thought.

simmonsjoe

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
I realize that in their zeal to respond to posts each day people do not linger at the top pages of the forum very long. So it is no surprise to me that many in this thread (well two of you anyway) may not have noticed a device that may be right up your alley.

Rather than putting the gun in your lap or in the seat, how about we give some business and support to one of OCDOs advertisers and buy this guys product. They are linked (with others) from the top of the main OCDO forum home page. If you are removing the weapon because it is simply uncomfortable and you have a permit to CCW, why not?

I have also used Tucker leather for standard holsters of custom design and they do very nice work. They can make holsters that are comfortable and work well.

Now I do like the contrivance that Peter Nap described. It is OC legal and it is also covered by anti NCIC insurance. With some minor "tweaking" it might even become seizure proof.:lol:

Am I the only one who has ever wondered what a LEO might do about a "Texas Cadillac" with the pistols mounted on the hood? Just before tossing the driver on the hood would the LEO seize the pistols for officer safety?:what:

Regards
I'm a heavy guy and sliding across the seat would displace/rip the seatcarry device. Plus I'm not comfortable with a soft carrying position in the car because when I can't look down to grab my gun I want to be absolutely sure of its position and not have to fumble between fabric layers. It is a good idea and probably would work for a lot of people.

And for the record I have clicked the link before today :lol::lol::lol:
I am thinking of buying a CrossBreed for my p238. (also an advertiser)

ODA 226

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
SaltH2OHokie wrote:
Hawkflyer wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:
...SNIP

ROTF, LMAO

Regard

Suffolk is closer to me, but either would be ok.

simmonsjoe

imported post

nuc65 wrote:
It comes up under the VCINS (Virginia Criminal Investigative Network?? VA state police system) when the LEO runs your license. It doesn't have anything to do with the tags on the car. All states and any license and NCIC information is returned as well.

I think you answered that you had a handgun and where it was at so it gave the LEO reasonable probable cause to search and seize.

Both the ACLU and FlexYourRights have videos about the 5 th and 4 th ammendments. They both look the same.

The existence of a CHP is not enough to create reasonable probably cause but since you admitted to it you created it for the LEO. Once they have your weapon they can investigate all they want.

I am not a lawyer, I give no legal advice and only offer opinion.
What are you talking about??? Your admitting to A LAWFUL ACT and it is not
"reasonable articulated suspicion that a crime is afoot"

Its not 'reasonable articulated suspicion that a right you disagree with is afoot.'

The fact that the computer tells the officer you have a CHP all but guarantees a crime is not afoot.

check out http://www.gunfacts.info/
It will give evidence as to CHP holders being 5 TIMES less likely to commit a violent offence and 13 TIMES less likely to commit a nonviolent crime than NON-CHP holders.

so if anything a CHP increases the burden of reasonable articlated suspicion upon the officer.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

simmonsjoe wrote:
KBCraig wrote:
Of course it's a 4th Amendment violation: he seized your firearm and searched to find if it was reported stolen, without a warrant, probable cause, or reasonable articulable suspicion that crime was afoot.

Good luck on getting a court to rule that way, though.
SNIP They have. Mere knowledge isn't sufficient for search and seizure.

you must have "reasonable and articulated suspicion that a crime is afoot."

can someone reference that for me I forget the case.

And, another quote:

simmonsjoe wrote:

Its not 'reasonable articulated suspicion that a right you disagree with is afoot.'

The fact that the computer tells the officer you have a CHP all but guarantees a crime is not afoot.

It will give evidence as to CHP holders being 5 TIMES less likely to commit a violent offence and 13 TIMES less likely to commit a nonviolent crime than NON-CHP holders.

so if anything a CHP increases the burden of reasonable articlated suspicion upon the officer.

SimmonsJoe,

Are you arguing the law or the way things should be? In the first quote above, you clearly seem to be arguing the law.

No offense, but have you read the thread? I laid out the court cases, with quotes andlinks,in the sixth and seven post down from the top on page one.

The law is clear. Traffic stops are different from foot encounters as far as the standard for an LEO to temporarily seize a firearm for officer safety.

Please check those posts. If you have any questions as to the law, although I am not a lawyer, I will try to help clear them up.

Also, in a traffic-stop, the RAS for the seizure of the person has already been established--the traffic violation for which the person has been pulled over. In fact, I'll bet the courts view the traffic violation not as RAS, but as probable cause.

What might confuse is that Terry covers two different things.

1) That it is legal for an LEO to detain someone involuntarily under certain circumstances.This is often called a Terry Stop.

2) That it is legal for an LEO, if he has legally detained someone, to search that person and seize any weapons for officer safety under certain additional circumstances.

So, there are two things going on. One is a Terry Stop. The other is a Terry Pat- Down for weapons.

Not every Terry Stop results ina Terry Patdown. In addition to the reasonable suspicion that authorized the Terry Stop, the LEO needs reasonable suspicion the detainee is armed and presently dangerous in order to conduct a Terry Patdown for weapons in a foot encounter.

Links to Terryare earlier in the thread.

nuc65

Activist Member
imported post

I would say that while I disagree with the actions of the officer after a violation (the observed violation now makes you potentially a criminal and the rules change, there is no innocent until proven guilty because LEO observed you are now guilty to him) has been observed the LEO now has the right under the law to check your person for weapons for his safety. I disagree with this but it's the law, as confirmed by case. However, he doesn't have the inviolable right to search your vehicle unless he can visually see something illegal. Now, you could have exited the vehicle and left the weapon in the vehicle, locking it (take your keys with you. Now the LEO is in a quandry. As far as the law is concerned the weapon is secure, LEO is safe, nothing illegal is in view (assuming you have the right to posses a weapon) so you are controlling the situation and cannot be violated, except for the pat down to check for other weapons.

Yes, there are holes in the argument. I believe that justice (right) and the law are two different things. Better just to secure your property and keep mouth shut then raise the hell in the court later if you feel your rights are violated.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

nuc65 wrote:
I would say that while I disagree with the actions of the officer after a violation (the observed violation now makes you potentially a criminal and the rules change, there is no innocent until proven guilty because LEO observed you are now guilty to him) has been observed the LEO now has the right under the law to check your person for weapons for his safety. I disagree with this but it's the law, as confirmed by case. However, he doesn't have the inviolable right to search your vehicle unless he can visually see something illegal. Now, you could have exited the vehicle and left the weapon in the vehicle, locking it (take your keys with you. Now the LEO is in a quandry. As far as the law is concerned the weapon is secure, LEO is safe, nothing illegal is in view (assuming you have the right to posses a weapon) so you are controlling the situation and cannot be violated, except for the pat down to check for other weapons.

Yes, there are holes in the argument. I believe that justice (right) and the law are two different things. Better just to secure your property and keep mouth shut then raise the hell in the court later if you feel your rights are violated.

Cites, please. Forum Rule #7.

I have no information that the LEO cannot search a vehicle unless he sees something illegal. My understanding is that an LEO only needs probable cause to search. I have no information that he can aquire his PC only through visual means.

I have no information that an LEO has to leave a gun locked in a car on the seat. For example, I seem to recall reading at least one case where the court approved LEOs searching the car for weapons for officer safety because the driver, who was outside of the car and back at the patrol car at that point, still had access to his vehicle. I am offering this foggy-memory example to illustrate that Nuc65's statements of law may not be accurate.

It is still up to Nuc65 to supply the cites to his foregoing declarations about the law, rather than me to hunt court cases to contradict his declarations.

Having been in these discussions for something along the lines of three years, I've learned its easier to not introduce new elements of law into a discussion. Not unless I already have the court cases to hand or know exactly where to find them.

simmonsjoe

imported post

Citizen wrote:
simmonsjoe wrote:
KBCraig wrote:
Of course it's a 4th Amendment violation: he seized your firearm and searched to find if it was reported stolen, without a warrant, probable cause, or reasonable articulable suspicion that crime was afoot.

SNIP They have. Mere knowledge isn't sufficient for search and seizure.

can someone reference that for me I forget the case.

And, another quote:

simmonsjoe wrote:

SimmonsJoe,

Are you arguing the law or the way things should be? In the first quote above, you clearly seem to be arguing the law.

No offense, but have you read the thread? I laid out the court cases, with quotes andlinks,in the sixth and seven post down from the top on page one.

The law is clear. Traffic stops are different from foot encounters as far as the standard for an LEO to temporarily seize a firearm for officer safety.

Please check those posts. If you have any questions as to the law, although I am not a lawyer, I will try to help clear them up.

Also, in a traffic-stop, the RAS for the seizure of the person has already been established--the traffic violation for which the person has been pulled over. In fact, I'll bet the courts view the traffic violation not as RAS, but as probable cause.

What might confuse is that Terry covers two different things.

1) That it is legal for an LEO to detain someone involuntarily under certain circumstances.This is often called a Terry Stop.

2) That it is legal for an LEO, if he has legally detained someone, to search that person and seize any weapons for officer safety under certain additional circumstances.

So, there are two things going on. One is a Terry Stop. The other is a Terry Pat- Down for weapons.

Not every Terry Stop results ina Terry Patdown. In addition to the reasonable suspicion that authorized the Terry Stop, the LEO needs reasonable suspicion the detainee is armed and presently dangerous in order to conduct a Terry Patdown for weapons in a foot encounter.

Links to Terryare earlier in the thread.
I am arguing law. But, I am not a lawyer so I'm doing the best amateur job I can to understand my rights and responsibilities.:)

Just because you are pulled over for a traffic violation doesn't qualify for RAS:

If Terry v. Ohio's RAS requirements were met by a traffic stop, then the officer would be able to search your vehicle.

In PA v. MIMMS The RAS came from the observation of a CONCEALED FIREARM Which is a crime and more serious than a traffic violation.

In US v. Baker The defendant failed to stop, evaded capture, assisted others in evading police capture, was driving recklessly, and was known to have lied to the police during questioning.

PA v. MIMMS reasoning for seizure doesn't hold as the officer, alerted by VCIN knows the firearm is lawfully concealed
""Under the standard announced in Terry v. Ohio, 392 U. S. 1, 392 U. S. 21-22 --
the officer was justified in making the search he did once the bulge in respondent's
jacket was observed."
"

US v. Baker doesn't hold because even if he was OCing a firearm legally, it could be illegal because there is the possibility of felony charges being filed against the suspect. However he was ALSO CARRYING CONCEALED Which is a crime. RAS in this case came from "a triangular shaped bulge under his shirt, near his waistband" --Officer Pope
although I'm not sure if that was needed in this case.

Also, most traffic violations aren't even misdemeanors. I wonder are they even considered 'crimes?' It is a violation of the terms of agreement to us receiving the privilege to drive on state property for sure.

As I side note.
I notice that on most paperwork I ever read or have to fill out, felonies and misdemeanors are 'crimes' while traffic violations are called offenses.:quirky

I simply have a hard time understanding haw lawful possession of a firearm can be considered RAS for seizure, as it is not just lawful, but an enumerated right in VA. In conjunction with the VCIN popping the CHP when the plates are run I don't see how this can be construed as RAS for the officers safety. That is like saying lawful owners are inherently dangerous. Also a CHP requires the possessor to have undergone a handgun safety course, further removing any non-criminal safety concerns from the officer.

Citizen is correct that I am not a lawyer so don't take this as me telling you how it is but simply my argument; An interpretation by a layman. If there are errors in my argument I welcome counter-arguments.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

(Citizen's comments interjected into the quote below in blue)

simmonsjoe wrote:
SNIP Just because you are pulled over for a traffic violation doesn't qualify for RAS. Huh? How are youdefining RAS?Are you talking about reasonable suspicion the citizen is armed, or reasonable suspicion the citizen is, was, or is about to commit a crime? The term "RAS" is generally associate withwas/is/about to crime.

If Terry v. Ohio's RAS requirements were met by a traffic stop, then the officer would be able to search your vehicle. Well, yes. There is case law about whether the LEO can search the areas within reach once he has reasonable suspicion a weapon may be in the car. See the earlier comment from another poster about "within your wingspan."

In PA v. MIMMS The RAS came from the observation of a CONCEALED FIREARM Which is a crime and more serious than a traffic violation. The Mimms gun seizure was not argued onRAS of a crime, if I recall. Mimms was argued on officer safety legitimizing the gun seizure.But, its been a while since I read the whole thing so let me know if I've gotit wrong.Also, I'll try to make time later tonite or tomorrow to re-read it.

In US v. Baker The defendant failed to stop, evaded capture, assisted others in evading police capture, was driving recklessly, and was known to have lied to the police during questioning. Yes. I was erroneously combining the fact patterns/circumstances of Mimms and Baker. I've since corrected that earlier long post.

PA v. MIMMS reasoning for seizure doesn't hold as the officer, alerted by VCIN knows the firearm is lawfully concealed
""Under the standard announced in Terry v. Ohio, 392 U. S. 1, 392 U. S. 21-22 --
the officer was justified in making the search he did once the bulge in respondent's
jacket was observed."
"

US v. Baker doesn't hold because even if he was OCing a firearm legally, it could be illegal because there is the possibility of felony charges being filed against the suspect. However he was ALSO CARRYING CONCEALED Which is a crime. RAS in this case came from "a triangular shaped bulge under his shirt, near his waistband" --Officer Pope
although I'm not sure if that was needed in this case.

Also, most traffic violations aren't even misdemeanors. I wonder are they even considered 'crimes?' It is a violation of the terms of agreement to us receiving the privilege to drive on state property for sure.

As I side note.
I notice that on most paperwork I ever read or have to fill out, felonies and misdemeanors are 'crimes' while traffic violations are called offenses.:quirky

I simply have a hard time understanding haw lawful possession of a firearm can be considered RAS for seizure, as it is not just lawful, but an enumerated right in VA. Its not necessarily considered RAS of a crime. It is, under certain circumstances, considered unsafe for the LEO. In conjunction with the VCIN popping the CHP when the plates are run I don't see how this can be construed as RAS for the officers safety. That is like saying lawful owners are inherently dangerous. Also a CHP requires the possessor to have undergone a handgun safety course, further removing any non-criminal safety concerns from the officer.

Citizen is correct that I am not a lawyer so don't take this as me telling you how it is but simply my argument; An interpretation by a layman. If there are errors in my argument I welcome counter-arguments.

KBCraig

imported post

simmonsjoe wrote:
KBCraig wrote:

They have. Mere knowledge isn't sufficient for search and seizure.

Reading comprehension? :lol:

simmonsjoe

imported post

KBCraig wrote:
simmonsjoe wrote:
KBCraig wrote:

They have. Mere knowledge isn't sufficient for search and seizure.

Reading comprehension? :lol:
:uhoh:

nuc65

Activist Member
imported post

Yes, I need to add the cites and my opinion to my statement. I will do this as I am able.

Terry vs Ohio had RAS because the LEO "observed" suspicious behavior. This included the pat down. Many officers abuse Terry stops because citizens don't know how to uphold their rights.

I need to dig into traffic law and case from that but once the door is locked and you are a number of step beyond the ability to quickly access your firearm it could be argued that the LEOs safety is preserved. I will see what I can come up for case law, but I think that in order to unlock your vehicle would require a warrent and reason at that point. I think that is why LEOs need to call a dog to look for drugs in a locked car.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

This is all most interesting as it helps for those who may still be a little in the dark about this issue. Thanks, gentlemen.

When Virginia first went "shall issue" in 1995, I pulled up next to a Fairfax County officer in his squad car and asked him a few questions regarding this new law.

What did he think most officers would do if a driver was armed when he was stopped? He said he thought some would take the gun and put it in the driver's trunk (oops, sounds to me like a place they shouldn't be going). He also said a few would probably take the gun and handcuff the driver until they were satisfied all was well (oops, sounds like an illegal move on their part).

I would not like the idea of an officer taking my firearm during a stop for a number of reasons. Also, this statement concerns me a bit.

"I think you answered that you had a handgun and where it was at so it gave the LEO reasonable probable cause to search and seize."

Taken to the extreme, the mere fact you tell an LEO you are armed could open up this door. Is this true? Anyway, I still think it is best to inform so that everyone's mind is set to ease and we all go home without any extra holes in our bodies.

So I guess with all of the counter discussion here, there is a level of confusion remaining. The one which seems to be most confusing is whether or not an LEO has RAS just because he is stopping you and your information indicates you have a CHP. Seems to me that if you have an officer who has an axe to grind with people who chose to carry, this could be a problem.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

18.2-308 does not require anybody to answer the questionsabout whether you have a gun in the car to begin with.

18.2-308(H) merely says: "The person issued the permit shall have such permit on his person at all times during which he is carrying a concealed handgun and shall display the permit and a photo-identification issued by a government agency of the Commonwealth or by the United States Department of Defense or United States State Department (passport) upon **demand** by a law-enforcement officer."

Seems to me that even if you liberally construe a question by an officer about guns to be a demand for your CHP, this is satisfied by handing the CHP to the officer.

Although I rarely get pulled over, and in the three times in Virginia when I was pulled over the officer did not ask about guns despite the fact i was concealed and open carrying on two of those those occasions, respectively, I think i am not going to answer any questionsabout guns if asked - I certainly won't be volunteering whether or not I have a gun, just like I would not be volunteering whether or not I have groceries in the trunk.