• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

traffic stop, CHP, 4th amendment questions...

simmonsjoe

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
But for people in this forum, a small lock box or gun safe in a car is not that unusual. I have one in each car for a variety of reasons. So the question is. If that safe is locked can a LEO force you to open it or can he pry it open during a normal traffic stop like speeding or running a stop sign because there might be a firearm inside?
It is a lock, sealed container. The cop must obtain a warrant to get inside it.
That is the answer we all want to hear, but we need citation of some sort of case law or relevant published opinion or the like.

simmonsjoe

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
If the OP simply obeyed the traffic laws, none of this ever would have happened!
hysterical.gif
+1 simplest solution yet.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
I agree. But I would be interested in Mike's explanation as to why it is not. You drive up to a big sign that says if you enter the base you consent to searches. If you enter, How is that NOT consent to be searched? It is almost like a contract where for the consideration of entry to the base, you consent to be searched.
I just do not agree that a mere sign changes the constitution - there are lots of sgns in the world, and themilitary world, which have no force of law - generally, the constituion applies even to active duty people on base - that's why commanders cannot just search their own soldiers absent probable cause without implicating Fourth Amendment rights.

Now if anybod has some case law on how this supposed waiver of Fourth Amendment on post works in practice, I'd be happy to read it.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:

I am pretty sure that containers in vehicles are not immune to search absent a warrant - if you have case law saying so, lets hear it, that's how this web site works.

I think the rule is that a container in a vhicle can be searched under probable cause if the target evidence of the probable caused based search could be found in that container. I would look up authority to support this, but the way it works here is of a poster asserts a rule of law, they are to cite to authority supporting that statement - not those that doubt them, though, it is not a rule violation for doubters to do so.

Some posters here should refresh themselves on basic 4th amendment key words from Terry and its progeny and their general rough meaning and implications:

Reasonable articulable suspicion of crime afoot: Allows police to temporarily seize people and property (but not search or arrest them).

Good faith belief that a person siezed is both armed and presently dangerous: Allows officers to condut a protective patdown of person and search immediate area (wingspan of subject) for weapons. If pat down indicates a weapon, it can be seized.

Probable cause: A level of suspicion of crime committed whch is more than simply reasonable articulable suspicion: Allows police to search people and property; and arrestpeople on the spot.

Warrant: Generally required to search homes or arrest people in homes.

Search incident to arrest: Doctrine allowing full and detailed search of your person and immediate surroundings.

Remedies for violation: Suppression of evidence seized; civil action against officers and departments.

There are tons of Fourth Amendment exceptions, permutations, and nuances all of which are heavily fact dependent. For example, I think there is a container exception to a probable cause search (without warrant) on foot, but I do not think it applies in vehicles which have long been treated under the law as conduits of crime and easy escape by bad people.

Most of the quesions on this thread and others could be answered usng the key words and general implications above

simmonsjoe

imported post

As a truck driver, I have been in hundreds and hundreds of facilities with similar signage. Including foreign trade zones and similar security areas. I Have talked with thousands and thousands of truck drivers. I have heard of only ONE instance in which someone was actually searched. It supposedly happened at a Coca-Cola and the person searched was cought with proprietary data they were sneaking out.(this would lead one to believe they had prior reason to search his vehicle) This in of itself is only a rumor.

Upon entering military bases however, I have had my vehicle thoroughly searched at random. when driving commercial vehicles many bases have X-RAY SCANNERS that the WHOLE TRACTOR TRAILER FITS IN. (no @#$%) However, even when they searched my vehicles, I NEVER had a single soldier touch me, much less frisk me. (hint hint)

Also relevant in VA is the case where a CHP was charged for trespass. The court ruled it must be made clear that the refusal of someone bearing arms must be proven to said person to come from one of the persons listed in the relevant CHP law. (being owner or rentor)

Ever parked in a parking garage where there is security? the back of you parking stub says they aren't responsible for anything no matter what?? It's a lie. . If you offer a service, just because you claim you don't offer it doesn't mean anything. Why would you pay more for secure parking if isn't "fit for a specific purpose" or whatever. If I were dealing Crack, but as I was doing it I told you 'this ain't crack and wont get you high' am I no longer liable for criminal charges??

I would have to go with Mike on this one, a sign doesn't change the constitution.

But to go further I think a lot of signs don't mean @#$%, regardless of constitutional issues.

Just because someone payed to have it printed on metal and then mounted on a pole or building or fence doesn't give it credibility. It just works for the sheeple.

Also Mike, Thanks for your dissemination of the relevant terminology.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

simmonsjoe wrote:
As a truck driver, I have been in hundreds and hundreds of facilities with similar signage. Including foreign trade zones and similar security areas. I Have talked with thousands and thousands of truck drivers. I have heard of only ONE instance in which someone was actually searched. It supposedly happened at a Coca-Cola and the person searched was cought with proprietary data they were sneaking out.(this would lead one to believe they had prior reason to search his vehicle) This in of itself is only a rumor.

Upon entering military bases however, I have had my vehicle thoroughly searched at random. when driving commercial vehicles many bases have X-RAY SCANNERS that the WHOLE TRACTOR TRAILER FITS IN. (no @#$%) However, even when they searched my vehicles, I NEVER had a single soldier touch me, much less frisk me. (hint hint)

Also relevant in VA is the case where a CHP was charged for trespass. The court ruled it must be made clear that the refusal of someone bearing arms must be proven to said person to come from one of the persons listed in the relevant CHP law. (being owner or rentor)

Ever parked in a parking garage where there is security? the back of you parking stub says they aren't responsible for anything no matter what?? It's a lie. . If you offer a service, just because you claim you don't offer it doesn't mean anything. Why would you pay more for secure parking if isn't "fit for a specific purpose" or whatever. If I were dealing Crack, but as I was doing it I told you 'this ain't crack and wont get you high' am I no longer liable for criminal charges??

I would have to go with Mike on this one, a sign doesn't change the constitution.

But to go further I think a lot of signs don't mean @#$%, regardless of constitutional issues.

Just because someone payed to have it printed on metal and then mounted on a pole or building or fence doesn't give it credibility. It just works for the sheeple.

Also Mike, Thanks for your dissemination of the relevant terminology.
Normally I too would follow Mikes lead. But the base is property, government property to be sure, but property. It seems to me that the government, as the owner or caretaker, can post the property. They can put up no trespassing signs and the like. They can post for no guns too, just like each of us can. People as a matter of property law would have to abide by these signage's or be subject to arrest and prosecution. I do not see the "conditions of entry" signage as being any different. While I do not have a citation, I am certain that the federal Governments right to prohibit and control access to certain of its properties is recognized at law.

If they do not have these rights, then by what right can they prohibit anyone from entering a military base or any other federal property any time they want? It seems to me that these signs are spelling out the conditions of entry to a particular facility. By entering you agree to the terms, and if you do not agree you are free to leave.

I do not believe this violates peoples rights because you have a choice.

darthmord

imported post

Mike wrote:
darthmord wrote:
Mike wrote:
18.2-308(H) merely says: "The person issued the permit shall have such permit on his person at all times during which he is carrying a concealed handgun and shall display the permit and a photo-identification issued by a government agency of the Commonwealth or by the United States Department of Defense or United States State Department (passport) upon **demand** by a law-enforcement officer."

Does that mean I can use my VA Driver's License OR my DoD Contractor CAC OR my passport?

I was under the impression I had to use my VA DL with my CHP.

The statute clearly provides that you only have to present a "photo-identification issued by a government agency of the Commonwealth or by the United States Department of Defense or United States State Department (passport)."

So even a library card issued by your county library with your photo on it is a Commonwealth ID.

There is no need to have a Va. DL to apply for or carry on a Va. CHP.

I only mentioned that because I was originally told that I had to use my VA DL. Since I carry both together anyways, I didn't think much of it.

Thanks for the clarification.

darthmord

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:
Mike wrote:
CRF250rider1000 wrote:
Only on base correct? If you were just pulled over on a public road, a cop can't touch a locked compartment without a warrant right?

There is no aborgation of rights on military bases, nor is there are freedom to be free of searches of containers in vehicles pursuant to probable cause.

Why all the absolute statements in this thread?
It's implied consent the moment you enter the base.

I agree. But I would be interested in Mike's explanation as to why it is not. You drive up to a big sign that says if you enter the base you consent to searches. If you enter, How is that NOT consent to be searched? It is almost like a contract where for the consideration of entry to the base, you consent to be searched.

As to the Citizen/Simmonsjoe debate I am actually persuaded to the view that you guys are arguing different issues. The questions I asked earlier are generally considered settled. So in Joe's list I should be the undecided voter you guys are trying to convince. All I am waiting for is for you to discuss the same issue.

But for people in this forum, a small lock box or gun safe in a car is not that unusual. I have one in each car for a variety of reasons. So the question is. If that safe is locked can a LEO force you to open it or can he pry it open during a normal traffic stop like speeding or running a stop sign because there might be a firearm inside?

This is different than a car trunk or glove box which is part of the car and is accessible using the car key, and therefor would likely be legal for him to search if a search of the car is legal. It is also different than a bag or gun case that is closed but cannot be locked. Many of these boxes attach to the car with a cable. Could the LEO cut that cable and confiscate the box?

What are the boundaries here. I see no case law on this point.

Regards

No code cite but in my experiences with military bases... if you refuse to let the authorities search your vehicles upon request, your ability to stay on / enter thebase is revoked until you submit.

On a good day, they merely make you turn around and leave. On a bad day, your mileage may vary. I've heard both sides when I was active duty Navy.

Repeater

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
Arizona v. Gant, 129 S.Ct. 1710 (2009) is helpful. Study it carefully.

This passage explains what's relevant:
First, the State seriously undervalues the privacy interests at stake. Although we have recognized that a motorist’s privacy interest in his vehicle is less substantial than in his home, see New York v. Class, 475 U.S. 106, 112–113 (1986) , the former interest is nevertheless important and deserving of constitutional protection, see Knowles, 525 U.S., at 117. It is particularly significant that Belton searches authorize police officers to search not just the passenger compartment but every purse, briefcase, or other container within that space. A rule that gives police the power to conduct such a search whenever an individual is caught committing a traffic offense, when there is no basis for believing evidence of the offense might be found in the vehicle, creates a serious and recurring threat to the privacy of countless individuals. Indeed, the character of that threat implicates the central concern underlying the Fourth Amendment — the concern about giving police officers unbridled discretion to rummage at will among a person’s private effects.
Thus, a normal traffic stop -- for a traffic violation -- cannot normally grant LEOs authority to conduct a general search inside the vehicle, including a container.

See Also 3 W. LaFave, Search and Seizure §7.2(d) (4th ed. 2004).

As for the viewpoint of law enforcement, read these:

Searches of Vehicles Incident to Arrest: Arizona v. Gant (2009)

Arizona v. Gant - FLETC legal review

jegoodin

imported post

Citizen wrote:
jegoodin wrote:
SNIPthe ACLU puts out a very good video about what to do and not do during a traffic stop.

You mean FlexYourRights? The narrator is former ACLU; FlexYourRights is a separate organization.

Busted: The Citizen's Guide to Surviving Police Encounters

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqMjMPlXzdA

While we are on the subject of videos for new guys. Here is another great video:

Don't Talk to Police by Prof. James Duane of Regent University Law School

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc
Yes, it was "Busted" I was refering to.I knew there was an ACLU link.

simmonsjoe

imported post

Mike wrote:
darthmord wrote:
Mike wrote:
18.2-308(H) merely says: "The person issued the permit shall have such permit on his person at all times during which he is carrying a concealed handgun and shall display the permit and a photo-identification issued by a government agency of the Commonwealth or by the United States Department of Defense or United States State Department (passport) upon **demand** by a law-enforcement officer."

Does that mean I can use my VA Driver's License OR my DoD Contractor CAC OR my passport?

I was under the impression I had to use my VA DL with my CHP.

The statute clearly provides that you only have to present a "photo-identification issued by a government agency of the Commonwealth or by the United States Department of Defense or United States State Department (passport)."

So even a library card issued by your county library with your photo on it is a Commonwealth ID.

There is no need to have a Va. DL to apply for or carry on a Va. CHP.
What are you talking about?! The anti's would have you believe nobody who carries a gun even knows how to read. We're just a bunch of inbred knuckle dragging troglodytes.

nuc65

Activist Member
imported post

I believe that a base is Federal Property and sole and separate from the state it is in. I need to find the section of the USC that refers to this. I think the signs as you enter a DOD or DOE or other federal facility actually cite the section of code that applies so that you are actually leaving the state you are in when you are on a Federal Installation. Sovereign property therefore rules of the kingdom apply.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

simmonsjoe wrote:
Citizen wrote:
simmonsjoe wrote:
SNIP I think you are making the leap...
SNIP I'm usually pretty polite, patient, and so forth.
You still haven't quoted a single source where a lawfully possessed firearm constituted RAS. You still haven't quoted a single source where a lawfully possessed firearm was deemed to represent a threat to officer safety. You still haven't quoted a single source where A LAWFUL FIREARM was involved. You still haven't quoted a SINGLE SOURCE ANYWHERE AT ANY TIME that applies to carpesignum's case.
(sigh)

This is not a reply to SimmonsJoe. This is to help clear up confusion for anyone else reading this exchange.

Regarding quoting a case relevant to Carpesignum's case, yes, I did. US vs Baker.[suP]1[/suP] Here it is again:

Based on the inordinate risk of danger to law enforcement officers during traffic stops, observing a bulge that could be made by a weapon in a suspect's clothing reasonably warrants a belief that the suspect is potentially dangerous, even if the suspect was stopped only for a minor violation.

The court makes no distinction about whether the gun is lawfully carried or not. The court doesn't even say there has to be an additional circumstance pointing to dangerousness like Terry's two-pronged "armed" and "presently dangerous." In fact, since the court combined "armed" and "dangerous" into meaning "armed = dangerous," it literally dispensed with the need for any additional circumstances pointing to dangerousness. In the 4thCircuit's view, possession alone, nay, just a bulge thatmight be a gun is enough to "reasonably warranta belief thatthe suspect is potentially dangerous."If the gun alone is the legal dangerousness, then even a lawfully carried gun is legally dangerous. During a traffic stop in the 4th Circuit, anyway.

Looking at it from another angle, how is the legality of the carry supposed to be determined when it is just a bulge, not evena visiblegun? The court didn't say the officer first has todetermine whether the gun is legally carried,or whether the bulge is a legal bulge before he can assume itisdangerous.

Also, note thatCarp'ssituation was a minor violation, justlike stated in the court opinion quote above. Also, note that the court did not confine ormodify its statement by calling attention toor requiring anything like the additional circumstances present in the Baker fact pattern. In fact the court's wording is "even if stopped only for a minor violation." (emphasis mine).

Sorry, folks. We may not like it, but that is the law in VA since VA is covered by the federal 4th Circuit. I am not a lawyer, but I say that with confidence based on the plain language of the opinion. You can, yourself, without much trouble at all, tracethe cases back toTerry. Each of the opinions discussed here cite the preceding cases. They are easy to find.

Please do not physically refuse to let an LEO seize agun from within your reach during a traffic stop based on SimmonsJoe's representations in this thread. You may verywell have a gun pointed at you, be ordered out of the car and face down on the ground with hand-cuffs applied. I imagine you might also be open to an obstruction charge, depending on what you do.

Of course, if anyone is convinced SimmonsJoe has it right, feel free to test it by physically preventing an LEO from seizing the gun during a traffic stop. (Note: This is not a serious suggestion. It is a device toget anybody who agrees that SJ has the law correctly to reconsider how the reader arrived at that conclusion.)

1. US vs Baker: http://pacer.ca4.uscourts.gov/opinion.pdf/955287.P.pdf

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

simmonsjoe wrote:
SNIP In every single case you have quoted, officer safety was jeopardized due to RAS OF A CRIME. im MIMMS and BAKER it sure was whether the gun was illegally carried! Why?? because RAS of unlawful carry(a crime) was the reason given for the search! Unlawful possession of a firearm is a severe threat to officer safety!
Again, I'm not particularly replying to SJ. In this case I am more clearing up an untruth for other readers.

One could sort of argue that theBaker search was based on suspicion of anillegally carriedgun, since the stop occuredon US Park property where any gun would be illegal,as I understand it.

But not Mimms. The reason for the search in Mimms was not suspicion of an illegally carried gun. The reason given for the search is quoted inMimms:

While on routine patrol, two Philadelphia police officers observed respondent Harry Mimms driving an automobile with an expired license plate. The officers stopped the vehicle for the purpose of issuing a traffic summons. One of the officers approached and asked respondent to step out of the car and produce his owner's card and operator's license. Respondent alighted, whereupon the officer noticed a large bulge under respondent's sports jacket. Fearing that the bulge might be a weapon, the officer frisked respondent and discovered in his waistband a .38-caliber revolver loaded with five rounds of ammunition. (emphasis added by Citizen).

If you read Mimms you will seecourt did not say the LEO should have first determined whether the gun was legally or illegally carried. The court did not say the cops should have first demanded Mimms LTCF to see if he was legally carrying before frisking him and seizing the gun. Also, you will see the court did not say the search was justified because the gun was an illegally carried gun. The court said:

The bulge in the jacket permitted the officer to conclude that Mimms was armed, and thus posed a serious and present danger to the safety of the officer.

Notice the court does not say the bulge in the jacket permitted the officer to conclude Mimms was carrying illegally and thus dangerous.

Now that I think about it, in none of the cases I've read did the court require the cops to first determine whether a gun was legally carried before searching or seizing it.

Bottom line, during a legal seizure (detention, traffic stop, etc.) dangerousness trumps the issue of legal carry because of time--imminent-ness. While the cops would bescrewing around trying to determine whether the carry is legal, they couldbe shot.

simmonsjoe

imported post

Citizen wrote:
simmonsjoe wrote:
SNIP In every single case you have quoted, officer safety was jeopardized due to RAS OF A CRIME. im MIMMS and BAKER it sure was whether the gun was illegally carried! Why?? because RAS of unlawful carry(a crime) was the reason given for the search! Unlawful possession of a firearm is a severe threat to officer safety!
Again, I'm not particularly replying to SJ. In this case I am more clearing up an untruth for other readers.

One could sort of argue that theBaker search was based on suspicion of anillegally carriedgun, since the stop occuredon US Park property where any gun would be illegal,as I understand it.

But not Mimms. The reason for the search in Mimms was not suspicion of an illegally carried gun. The reason given for the search is quoted inMimms:

While on routine patrol, two Philadelphia police officers observed respondent Harry Mimms driving an automobile with an expired license plate. The officers stopped the vehicle for the purpose of issuing a traffic summons. One of the officers approached and asked respondent to step out of the car and produce his owner's card and operator's license. Respondent alighted, whereupon the officer noticed a large bulge under respondent's sports jacket. Fearing that the bulge might be a weapon, the officer frisked respondent and discovered in his waistband a .38-caliber revolver loaded with five rounds of ammunition. (emphasis added by Citizen).

If you read Mimms you will seecourt did not say the LEO should have first determined whether the gun was legally or illegally carried. The court did not say the cops should have first demanded Mimms LTCF to see if he was legally carrying before frisking him and seizing the gun. Also, you will see the court did not say the search was justified because the gun was an illegally carried gun. The court said:

The bulge in the jacket permitted the officer to conclude that Mimms was armed, and thus posed a serious and present danger to the safety of the officer.

Notice the court does not say the bulge in the jacket permitted the officer to conclude Mimms was carrying illegally and thus dangerous.

Now that I think about it, in none of the cases I've read did the court require the cops to first determine whether a gun was legally carried before searching or seizing it.

Bottom line, during a legal seizure (detention, traffic stop, etc.) dangerousness trumps the issue of legal carry because of time--imminent-ness. While the cops would bescrewing around trying to determine whether the carry is legal, they couldbe shot.
Concealed carry is a privilege and without proof of permission it is illegal.
Because it is a privilege the burden of proof is on the carrier to prove he has permission to conceal. In MIMMS the cops saw a concealed weapon. Until the police have proof otherwise, concealing is illegal. (except in VT and AK)

In carpesignum case the officer knew he had a CHP because a)he told him so and b)it came up on the computer when he ran his tags. So the concealment was not an issue for him. What remains is possession of a firearm. (just like if he was OCing) Until the police have proof otherwise, a mere weapon is legal.

mere possession of a firearm is a right and therefor the police have the burden of evidence to prove you are a restricted person. without some other evidence the officer must assume the firearm is lawful.

The difference is right vs privilege.
Rights - You aren't breaking the law, until someone can prove otherwise
(innocent until proven guilty)
privileges - You are breaking the law, until you can prove otherwise.
(guilty until proven innocent)

possession = right
concealing = privilege

An analogy is walking to driving a car
walking = right
driving = privilege

When driving you are required to show a License to PROVE you have permission to drive on state roads. If you don't have it on you, you are guilty until you can show a judge you were legal but just forgot your license.

When walking, you do not have to give any picture ID to anyone. You can simply give a cop your name and address, and until he can prove otherwise he must accept you at your word.