• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First time carry

rocko taco45

imported post

Hey everybody hows it going? So im pretty new to this site and I just had a few questions. First of all I was wondering if yall had any tips for OC. I just turned 21 last week and got my GFL yesterday. Ive never carried before, and I was wondering if there was any crucial knowledge that I needed before i started carrying. I know the basics, like about public gatherings and church, but is there any knowledge thats not written down somewhere that I need to know? Secondly, as far as 16-11-130, does that mean that while on orders for your job, like during a natural disaster you can carry without a GFL or if your just in the national guard you can carry with out one period? I would appreciate any and all advice on the subject. Thank you.

aadvark

imported post

Alright Raco Taco 45, is your article to imply that you are in The National Guard?

If you are in The National Guard, then, you may be exempt from Georgia Law 16-11-126 through 16-11-128, if the carrying of the Firearm is pursuant with The Military Service of The United States Federal Government or The State Government, as per 16-11-130(3).

In that case, you need not worry about Public Gatherings applying to you, provided; that you are carrying out your duties with The National Guard, under an order. Otherwise, just be careful for the Public Gatherings prohibitions.

Since because you asked, during a State of Emergency, The Governor has certains powers under Georgia Code 38-3-51(8), as it pertains to Firearms, but that limitation authorized to The Governor ofGeorgia does not apply to or effect any Firearm that is legally owned prior to thedeclaration of The State of Emergency.

rocko taco45

imported post

Yes i am currently in the national guard, and I was trying to figure out if, while not on active duty or during a state of emergency, I could carry without a GFL. Thanks for the help

rmodel65

imported post

it applies to National Guard, Fed service and to the GA state Defense force......

mathar1

imported post

You can carry anywhere a cop can carry as long as you have your military ID on you. It doesn't have to be in the performance of ANY duty. The attorney general of Ga extended ALL military people the right to carry on their ID and 16.11.130 limits your areas of carry to those places an officer cannot carry. Nice to have the GFL for un-informed LEO's (and to beat the NICS call) but not actually necessary.

us_soldier

imported post

Im active Military and according to GA Law, you can open carry with a Military ID. I just recently recieved my GA permit. I purchased it "just in case" so there can be no question whether or not I can carry. Athough, I feel that if I can carry an M16 and a M249 in Kuwait and Iraq for 15 months, then I should be able to on the homefront. "Support and Defend the Constitution of the United States of America" and be safe. Practice your 2nd Amendment right.