Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slide stop...yes or no ?

Post imported post

Do you use the slide stop to drop the slide or do the grab the slide thing and pull and release?

I would have put this in the training forum but could not find one.

Post imported post

I use both ways...
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

Post imported post

Many years ago I was taught to pull the slide back to release and thats the way I have always done it.

Then there are some pistols , such as my Kel-tec PF-9 , where it is recommended younot use the slide stop to release the slide. I tried it one day and found it took a LOT of effort to make it happen. So pulling the slide back to release works for me.

Post imported post

I have a Colt1911& a couple ofSTI 2011's. Iwas told by my gunsmith to never release the slide stop and let the slide slam forward on an empty chamber. He said it is fine to do it while chambering a round. I believe it has to do with the mechanics of a round being chamberedkeeping the slide from slamming forwardwith full force.
    Revelation 1911 - And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Post imported post

It depends on how mean I feel that particular day.
    Bitka Sve Rešava!
    B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
    It depends on how mean I feel that particular day.
    Sometimes less is more.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

I pretty much do not use the slide stop. I figure slide stops are different on different guns, but pulling back the slide works on all of them the same way. All the ones I've seen anyways...

Post imported post

Kahr advises using the slide stop to chamber a round, at least on the P380. It just doesn't feel right though...

Post imported post

Last time I took the M9 qualification course, they were teaching the use of the slide lock lever exclusively. Not sure if there's a reason they prefer it that way. It might be because the slide-mounted safety on the M9 can interfere with a good "slingshot" grip. If so, you could argue the same with any gun with a slide-mounted safety (Jericho/Baby Desert Eagle, Sig Mosquito, etc.)
    Guns don't kill people. Drivers on cell phones do.

Post imported post

Last round, action open. Eject/reload, release slide with slide stop, fire.

Post imported post

USMC.....use the slide stop. That was 1959.

Post imported post

I use both methods equally. If I'm shooting "casually" on a range, and going to accuracy, I'll usually use the slide stop. When I'm doing "tactical drills", I will alternate between the slide stop and manually racking the slide. Both methods have their use on the 1911.

I think that using the slide stop makes for quicker and smoother reloads (for me), but there are times when manually racking the slide to release it are more appropriate, such as when clearing a malfunction (tap-rack-bang), or doing reloads from an empty mag.

I have long fingers and big (but not beefy) hands, so reaching all the controls on a standard 1911 is easy and natural for me. But for guns with a slide-mounted safety switch (like the Beretta 92, or the Walthers) I sometimes find that releasing the slide by racking it puts my "off hand" up where it needs to be to more easily release the safety to continue fire.

So I guess it depends on what I'm doing, and what I'm shooting, as to which method I'll use. But I try and use them both, so I have muscle memory for both techniques, and can use them both as needed in a "real-world" situation...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Post imported post

The M9 has a slide mounted safety , using the slide grab on pistols like this will sometimes activate the safety. Others fall into this group also.

The comment on dropping a 1911 slide on an empty chamber is correct , doing so will batter the sear nose. The disconnector is only active when the trigger is pressed which removes any battering of the sear when firing as the slide cycles before you can get off the trigger. Loading a round slows things down compared to an empty chamber drop and isn`t as bad as the empty slide drop.

I don`t buy the gross motor skill argument for the slide grab. The finest motor skill on firing the handgun is trigger control and sight alignment , if you are able to do those two you can hit the slide stop if that is your choosen method.

I think commonality of technique between firearms is the best argument for the slide grab.

I have been using the slide grab since purchasing a few Glocks but used the slide stop up until that time on my 1911s. I am setting up my 1911 Delta for 40 and 357 sig and once those are running a few Glocks will probably be leaving and I will be going back to Saint John`s design and will probably be using the slide stop again.

Post imported post

I can not reload as fast if i slingshot my 1911.

Also once you get the slidestop worn in on some guns it will
    allow you to slamrack the slide.
    (firmly seating a magazine will cause slidestop to trip)
    meaning you don't have to choose anymore. :P
    illegal ≠ immoral legal ≠ moral
    [SIZE=1]"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. "Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent." - Thomas Jefferson
    G19 Gen 4; Bersa Thunder 380; Sig Sauer P238; Kel-Tec su-16c

Post imported post

simmonsjoe wrote:
    I can not reload as fast if i slingshot my 1911.

Also once you get the slidestop worn in on some guns it will
    allow you to slamrack the slide.
    (firmly seating a magazine will cause slidestop to trip)
    meaning you don't have to choose anymore. :P
    I can do that with my Commander though it only happens when I slam the mag in hard which I try not to always do. Lol, I haven't had the thing for a year yet, but it gets a lot of attention.

-Gruu

Post imported post

Counting on a malfunction ???? When the problem gets worse the slide won`t always pick up a round out of the mag when it drops. Maybe you should have your firearms fixed ?

Post imported post

Hellbilly wrote:
    Counting on a malfunction ???? When the problem gets worse the slide won`t always pick up a round out of the mag when it drops. Maybe you should have your firearms fixed ?

Who said it is a malfunction? I choose to have my piece tuned to how I like it.

That is why I eat at burger king.
    illegal ≠ immoral legal ≠ moral
    [SIZE=1]"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. "Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent." - Thomas Jefferson
    G19 Gen 4; Bersa Thunder 380; Sig Sauer P238; Kel-Tec su-16c

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

TheMrMitch wrote:
    1959? Wasn't that back about the timethey came out with the M1911A1?

I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:
    TheMrMitch wrote:
    1959?Â* Wasn't that back about the timeÂ*they came out with the M1911A1?

Um... That would be 1924.
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

Post imported post

It really depends on the gun. For example, my XD does fine with just the slide stop; but my Ruger Mk III prefers that I pull back the slide, drop the stop, then release the slide.

Post imported post

The Glock manual states that both methods are fine for their firearms.

I use the slide stop most of the time, but I practice sling shot, as it is imperitive for misfeed problems.

Toot-tooting my own horn here: At the last GSSF shoot in Creedmoore, I had a FTFeed on my G27. Slingshot and returned to shooting. After the string the RO commented on how nice and fluid my recovery was.

It is important to practice both.

Post imported post

I use the slide stop on my Kahr CW9.. It's a Tool/Machine, not a candy coated piece of Pewter, nothing else I have locks open on an empty mag. But when inserting another full mag, a authorative slap with the palm of my hand closes theslide while chambering a new round..

Post imported post

I also have been told (by a friend who is a certified Glock armorer with the DOJ) not to use the slide stop lever due to the wear is causes to the catch notch on the slide.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

JJ wrote:
    I also have been told (by a friend who is a certified Glock armorer with the DOJ) not to use the slide stop lever due to the wear is causes to the catch notch on the slide.
    Using the slide stop to release the slide caused some premature slide wear in early Glocks. There was an outcry and Glock responded by treating the slide stop notch and redesigning the slide stop for increased leverage.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

My FireStar jumps back into battery / releases the slide by inertia when I slam a mag home:shock: It shaves off a fraction of a second on reloads,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast