• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Slide stop...yes or no ?

jayspapa

imported post

Many years ago I was taught to pull the slide back to release and thats the way I have always done it.

Then there are some pistols , such as my Kel-tec PF-9 , where it is recommended younot use the slide stop to release the slide. I tried it one day and found it took a LOT of effort to make it happen. So pulling the slide back to release works for me.

mobeewan

imported post

I have a Colt1911& a couple ofSTI 2011's. Iwas told by my gunsmith to never release the slide stop and let the slide slam forward on an empty chamber. He said it is fine to do it while chambering a round. I believe it has to do with the mechanics of a round being chamberedkeeping the slide from slamming forwardwith full force.

eyesopened

imported post

I pretty much do not use the slide stop. I figure slide stops are different on different guns, but pulling back the slide works on all of them the same way. All the ones I've seen anyways...

Eeyore

imported post

Last time I took the M9 qualification course, they were teaching the use of the slide lock lever exclusively. Not sure if there's a reason they prefer it that way. It might be because the slide-mounted safety on the M9 can interfere with a good "slingshot" grip. If so, you could argue the same with any gun with a slide-mounted safety (Jericho/Baby Desert Eagle, Sig Mosquito, etc.)

Dreamer

imported post

I use both methods equally. If I'm shooting "casually" on a range, and going to accuracy, I'll usually use the slide stop. When I'm doing "tactical drills", I will alternate between the slide stop and manually racking the slide. Both methods have their use on the 1911.

I think that using the slide stop makes for quicker and smoother reloads (for me), but there are times when manually racking the slide to release it are more appropriate, such as when clearing a malfunction (tap-rack-bang), or doing reloads from an empty mag.

I have long fingers and big (but not beefy) hands, so reaching all the controls on a standard 1911 is easy and natural for me. But for guns with a slide-mounted safety switch (like the Beretta 92, or the Walthers) I sometimes find that releasing the slide by racking it puts my "off hand" up where it needs to be to more easily release the safety to continue fire.

So I guess it depends on what I'm doing, and what I'm shooting, as to which method I'll use. But I try and use them both, so I have muscle memory for both techniques, and can use them both as needed in a "real-world" situation...

Hellbilly

imported post

The M9 has a slide mounted safety , using the slide grab on pistols like this will sometimes activate the safety. Others fall into this group also.

The comment on dropping a 1911 slide on an empty chamber is correct , doing so will batter the sear nose. The disconnector is only active when the trigger is pressed which removes any battering of the sear when firing as the slide cycles before you can get off the trigger. Loading a round slows things down compared to an empty chamber drop and isn`t as bad as the empty slide drop.

I don`t buy the gross motor skill argument for the slide grab. The finest motor skill on firing the handgun is trigger control and sight alignment , if you are able to do those two you can hit the slide stop if that is your choosen method.

I think commonality of technique between firearms is the best argument for the slide grab.

I have been using the slide grab since purchasing a few Glocks but used the slide stop up until that time on my 1911s. I am setting up my 1911 Delta for 40 and 357 sig and once those are running a few Glocks will probably be leaving and I will be going back to Saint John`s design and will probably be using the slide stop again.

simmonsjoe

imported post

I can not reload as fast if i slingshot my 1911.

Also once you get the slidestop worn in on some guns it will
allow you to slamrack the slide.
(firmly seating a magazine will cause slidestop to trip)
meaning you don't have to choose anymore. :p

TehGruu

imported post

simmonsjoe wrote:
I can not reload as fast if i slingshot my 1911.

Also once you get the slidestop worn in on some guns it will
allow you to slamrack the slide.
(firmly seating a magazine will cause slidestop to trip)
meaning you don't have to choose anymore. :p

I can do that with my Commander though it only happens when I slam the mag in hard which I try not to always do. Lol, I haven't had the thing for a year yet, but it gets a lot of attention.

-Gruu

simmonsjoe

imported post

Hellbilly wrote:
Counting on a malfunction ???? When the problem gets worse the slide won`t always pick up a round out of the mag when it drops. Maybe you should have your firearms fixed ?
Who said it is a malfunction? I choose to have my piece tuned to how I like it.

That is why I eat at burger king.

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

It really depends on the gun. For example, my XD does fine with just the slide stop; but my Ruger Mk III prefers that I pull back the slide, drop the stop, then release the slide.