• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Woman shoots and kills intruder in Lincoln County Read more: http://newsok.com/woman-shoots-and-kil

nobucks

imported post

Yeah, like she need permission to defend herself. But, looking at it another way, I thought it was a positive that the 911 operator was supporting what Jackson was saying. When Jackson said she may have to kill the guy, the operator said, "You have to defend yourself!"

lonewolf2810

imported post

Taurus145 wrote:
Sorry, all. I didn't see the other thread on this topic.
Not a problem Taurus145 I tried the other link and it did not work for the 911 call. Thank you for posting a working one.

Now kudos to Mrs. Donna Jackson for the good deed of defending herself and her domain. I just told my wife she needed to learn how to handle my 12ga. I told her all you have to do is point and pull the trigger no aiming required. I am going to let her listen to this because all I hear is I will call the police.

Well you can call the police but what about the over 20min she was on the phone with the police were they there to stop him? NO as they can only get there as fast as humanly possible it still is not fast enough most of the time. She did the right thing and stayed on the phone and got the support of the dispatcher but the most important thing is she remembered what her son a LEO and her Husband told her to do and did it correctly.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Taurus145 wrote:
I like that the dispatcher told Mrs. Jackson that she had the right to defend herself.
"Hello, 911? Am I allowed to live?"

Surely, I jest....

But it is fortunate that there is at least one dispatcher on this planet that recognizes this reality. Some sheeple might actually need encouragement...

markand

imported post

There are several threads on this incident here on OCDO. The woman did a great job keeping her cool and defending herself. She got good support from the 911 dispatcher as well.

Unfortunately, the Oklahoman newspaper, linked in the original post above, published the victim's FULL NAME, AGE AND HOME ADDRESS!!! Just to avoid confusion, the victim here is the woman who was defending her home. The guy who was killed was an intruder shot during the course of committing a crime.

I spoke to the reporter who wrote the story, a Robert Medley Monday afternoon. I pointed out that the full name and address of the victim, prominently printed on his report, could be dangerous to the victim. The intruder has obviously had other encounters with law enforcement (the photo in the article shows the intruder in orange prison garb). It is not at all unlikely that this guy had "business associates" or family members who might be very unhappy with the woman who so calmly and bravely defended herself.

Mr. Medley was completely unwilling to do anything to help protect the victim's life, like removing the victims full name and complete address!! He pointed out, and I agree, that if the Mexican drug cartel really wanted to get to this woman, they probably could whether the address is published in his newspaper or not. I countered with, "Why draw a giant arrow pointing straight to this woman's home, essentially painting a bulls-eye on her back? Why make it easy to exact revenge?" He said his orders were to publish as much information as he had, and that's what he was going to do.

The report is at:

http://newsok.com/woman-shoots-and-kills-intruder-in-lincoln-county/article/3422498

If you want to contact Mr. Medley, here is his contact information:

ROBERT MEDLEY
rmedley@opubco.com

Main number: (405) 475-3311

9000 North Broadway, Oklahoma City, OK 73114
P.O. Box 25125, Oklahoma City, OK 73125

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

lonewolf2810 wrote:
I just told my wife she needed to learn how to handle my 12ga. I told her all you have to do is point and pull the trigger no aiming required.
No no no! Shot does not have a 90 degree spread in front of you! If the BG is close enough for aiming not to matter, he's also close enough to wrestle the barrel away!

biggin215

imported post

Perfect example of when seconds count the police are only minutes away. I took them how long? 30 minutes to get there?

lonewolf2810

imported post

N6ATF wrote:
lonewolf2810 wrote:
I just told my wife she needed to learn how to handle my 12ga. I told her all you have to do is point and pull the trigger no aiming required.
No no no! Shot does not have a 90 degree spread in front of you! If the BG is close enough for aiming not to matter, he's also close enough to wrestle the barrel away!
Trust me he would not get that close not with her.

lonewolf2810

imported post

biggin215 wrote:
Perfect example of when seconds count the police are only minutes away. I took them how long? 30 minutes to get there?
That is an example of living out in the county as do I. Another reason to be prepared to be ready for what ever shows itself. They can be the clean up crew when they get there.
Like am I supposed to ask the BG to wait until the police gets here yea right.

markand

imported post

biggin215 wrote:
It was 10 minutes from the beginning of the call until the shot or shots fired. Police appeared at the gate at approximately 23 or 24 minutes from the beginning of the call. Put another way, it was about 14 minutes from shots fired until police arrived. Much of that time can be attributed to the sparsely populated, mostly rural character of the area in which the incident occurred. Police can't be everywhere.

I saw an interview of a police official in Lincoln County, OK this afternoon. He said what I said above, "police can't be everywhere" and people need to be able to take care of themselves. A very honest reply.

And don't forget to call or drop that reporter, Robert Medley (see my earlier post for contact information) a few lines about publishing that woman's contact information.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

markand wrote:
biggin215 wrote:
It was 10 minutes from the beginning of the call until the shot or shots fired. Police appeared at the gate at approximately 23 or 24 minutes from the beginning of the call. Put another way, it was about 14 minutes from shots fired until police arrived. Much of that time can be attributed to the sparsely populated, mostly rural character of the area in which the incident occurred. Police can't be everywhere.

I saw an interview of a police official in Lincoln County, OK this afternoon. He said what I said above, "police can't be everywhere" and people need to be able to take care of themselves. A very honest reply.

And don't forget to call or drop that reporter, Robert Medley (see my earlier post for contact information) a few lines about publishing that woman's contact information.
The same, or worse, applies in urban centers. Traffic, cautionary requirements of navigating crowded areas... Hell, 3 feet of snow will do it... In more populated areas, it can actually take longer.

Depending on others to protect you is plain stupid.

c45man

imported post

I find it very interesting how dispatchers from different areas handle these kind of calls. If a dispatcher from an urban area received such a call the response to the caller would of been, "Put down the gun and wait for police arrival." No way, No how would a large city911 dispatcher state the practical advise that this midwestern individual gave. A city 911 dispatchadministration would of worried about cival liability in the event of a shooting gone bad for whatever reason.

Coming from a large metro area, I was surprised, but pleased in the manner this call was handled.

Dreamer

imported post

markand wrote:
I spoke to the reporter who wrote the story, a Robert Medley Monday afternoon. I pointed out that the full name and address of the victim, prominently printed on his report, could be dangerous to the victim.
I wonder how Mr. Medley would feel if someone would publish HIS name, address and phone number on some public Internet forums, and let people know where HE lives. A few dozen protesters showing up at his house to protest his blatant disregard for the personal privacy and security of crime victims might change his mind about publishing such info in future articles...:shock:

I've got Internet access and I'm not afraid to use it... ;)

lonewolf2810

imported post

I think we should all send Mrs. Donna Jackson a Christmas card and let her know just how well backed she is. Lord knows she has been through a lot lately and she could sure use some cheering up. Great job Donna hang in there you will be fine.

markand

imported post

I do indeed hope this lady gets a great deal of support and comfort.

It shouldn't be hard to send her Christmas cards. After all, the whole world knows her mailing address, thanks to the Oklahoman. :exclaim:

lil_freak_66

imported post

BUMP.

this story is very heartwrenching,i think it should be stickied in this section,until then ill just try to keep it up top!

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

It's very hard yes, but did anyone notice what is missing?

I'm not implying any vindictive intent, but she never once made a sound someone outside could have heard, said "I have a gun," etc. She was paralyzed by fear, by a man who was clearly drunk and at the wrong house...

I'm not implying she did something wrong legally... But morally... Being so afraid that wait quietly in the house for someone who is clearly mistaking your house for another, mad because his truck isn't out front where he expects it, is locked out of what he thinks is is his own house by someone inside it... A few words could have at least bought some time.

She's clearly very upset that she 'had to' shoot him, yet did not one thing to solve the obvious problem, shout: "Hey, you're at the wrong house!"

It bring up the argument... Should people so easily paralyzed by fear have deadly force at their disposal? Ready to kill, but not ready to shout? Just skulk quietly inside waiting for him to break in and then bam, you're dead!

I don't drink, but I know people make stupid mistakes like that when they are. Why silently do nothing waiting for the chance to kill the guy?

she's going to have some hell to deal with in hindsight. Sure, she had the 'right' to blow away a possibly dangerous intruder. But this 'intruder' was just some dumb drunk slob that didn't know where he was, and this was very, very, very obvious.

Were this a man, and the dispatcher a man, is there any doubt the shooter would be on death row right now? None. None whatsoever. Neither she, nor the dispatcher suggested the simple, not shooting anyone solution to this situation.

If we all handled confrontations this poorly, the 2nd Amendment would be long gone. Think all the trauma she caused herself! She's gonna feel like crap for a damn long time. Especially if she ever realizes all she had to do was shout: "Hey, this isn't your house!"

He's probably poor, so who cares, right?

How dare I point this fact out.... Flame away.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Before you all start flaming me by intentionally refusing to see the intent of my message, I'll plainly state my intent so you can't pull that crap.

Is it not our longstanding position to avoid using deadly force if at all possible?

Yet absolutely zero effort was made to avoid it in this situation. I don't blame the old lady so much, as I know how fear can cripple the mind. But the dispatcher did not suggest it, either.

She clearly didn't want to. So why were no other means of avoiding the use of deadly force even mentioned in this entire half hour?

If we all immediately resorted to the shotgun without even considering anything else, you can be sure our right to bear arms would be long gone.

Half an hour of conversation about this drunk guy yelling about his truck being missing, and calling out to someone in the house whom the occupant has never heard of. You don't need to be a detective to figure it out... I spent the rest of the time listening, hoping, waiting that the headline would be wrong, that somehow, common sense would prevail, and the dispatcher would say "hey, this guy thinks he's locked out of his own house, just yell 'hey, this isn't your house' and you won't have to kill him and live with that the rest of your life."

Ugh...