• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in south eastern PA

Connor55

imported post

i live in Bucks County PA, which is about an hour north of philadelphia, and on the border of the awkward line between suburbs and country. a good amount of the people in those suburbs are from places like new jersey and california, and are overly sensitive to everything that is considered a weapon. let me give an example:

i was walking up the street with a martin recurve bow and when i got home my parents told me they got about 6 concerned calls that i was walking up the street with a bow and that it scared them.

and another example:

my friend was taking pictures for class with a camera and a tripod on a bridge overlooking a highway, and he got the cops called on him because some complete idiot thought he had a sniper rifle.

now im 17, and when i turn 21, im going to get a CC license, but i would much rather perfer to do OC. its completely legal where i am to OC, but everyone in my area is so incredibly sensitive to things that id probably get the cops called on me the second i step out the door. its getting to the point where anti hunters run through the woods scaring all of the deer away, and gun ranges are being shut down that have been open for decades becuase some yuppie that builds a house near a range gets his window shot out accidently. ive hoped for some changes, but the only way id be able to change anything is if i get out of this part of PA. but since that wont be happening for years, what do you guys suggest?

Connor55

imported post

no it isn't BS, its a serious question coming from someone who has lived in the area my entire life. ill simplify it for you so i can get my question answered and the hell off of this website. should i OC at 21 in a sensitive area, and will it hinder my ability to get around?

that good enough for you?

rmansu2

imported post

I say OC!

Welcome to OCDO.

Here's a list of some of the things I've picked up here and other places along the way.

• Do your research on the laws in your state and county. Know where you can and cannot go.
  • Be alert and aware of your surroundings. You should have some indication of a person's intent well before they are within distance for any conversation much less physical contact. In other words, you should notice someone paying especially close attention to you, or following you. You should have an idea of the type of conversation that a person approaching will start. Does he look concerned, curious, intrigued, or maybe he doesn't even notice.
  • Practice, practice, practice. It can't be said enough, to know where your gun is, how to draw, target, and fire. Know your limitations on distance vs. accuracy. Know if there is anyone else around and what is on the other side of a potential assailant(target).
  • Make the decision before hand that if you need to shoot you will. Always shoot to kill, and shoot until the threat stops. Never wait to see what happens after you pull the trigger. (for reference send me a PM)
  • Your gun and your holster need to be reliable and secure. Retention is a must. Know that when you pull, your gun will come out. Know that when you fire a bullet will leave the barrel.
  • Never make yourself a target. By this, I mean, don't flaunt, strut, or boast. Go about your daily routine and only worry about what is happening now. If asked to leave, do so politely and if compelled inform them of the laws in your area.
  • Do not ask permission. (No explaination necessary.)

If I think of anything else, I'll let you know. Anyone else with pointers?

Connor55

imported post

thank you, that helps alot.

think when the times right ill give it a shot and see what happens, ive grown up around knives and bows my whole life, not guns, and it makes me a bit uneasy to hold them, so ill just have to get used to it.

Merry christmas :D