• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Safariland retention holsters

TylerJ87

imported post

Just looking for any input on this brand of holster.

I have been looking at the 6280(level II), 6360(level III), 6070(level IV)models in particular

Any information or advice will be greatly appreciated :)

EM87

imported post

For everyday OC, a level II is sufficient. Level III would be a bit much, I feel. However, a level III would be a better option if you're going to OC in a large crowd. Most people here carry some kind of level II system. The level II Serpa is common, as is a leather holster with a thumb break.

I don't have any personal experience with the Safariland holsters, although I hear that they are a great choice. I use the Blackhawk Serpa CQC level II, and I love it.

TylerJ87

imported post

I have heard of the Blackhawk Serpa but was just looking for other options. I have a problem finding a retailer that carries Blackhawk or Safariland and I don't want to buy without having tried it.

EM87

imported post

Hmm, I don't know anything about your local establishments but I can tell you that either brand of holster is great quality.

Michigander

imported post

Fine Tac 6280 is my daily carry holster.

What it isn't good for is CCing unless you're wearing a really baggy coat, or perhaps don't mind major printing. Bulges way too much.

But for OCing, it's great. It's about 1/3 of a second slower than a Serpa with the hood engaged. Probably 1/2-3/4 of a second slower with the added sentry lock, which as you probably know makes it a level III for about 10 bucks. But it's far more secure than the level 2 Serpa. Most punks think the fold down hood is a cross strap, unlike with a Serpa where it's quite clear where the release mechanism is.

And, unlike the Serpa, it's easy to completely deactivate the retention mechanism for lightning fast access by simply folding the hood down and leaving it down.

gunbelt.jpg

TylerJ87

imported post

The feature that I really like on the safariliand products is the option to leave the hood down for a lower level of retention. Right now I am looking at the 6360 because it has the Auto Locking System which makes it a level II upon reholstering and then level III with the hood over it. I think this would be a good choice but like I said I am weary of buying something without having tried it

Michigander

imported post

If my word and the fact they are issued to tens of thousands of PD's is any indication, they do work. But I know what you mean. They are expensive, and you want to know it's what you want.

But still, you gotta understand, they are what they are. Fast enough with practice, very high quality, and very secure. For the purpose of OCing, it doesn't matter much how fond you are of their holsters, they work.

I'd be happy to let you fiddle around with mine, but given the non close proximity of where we live, it would be hard to arrange.