• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just thought of possible legal reasoning for LOC in unicorporated areas

inbox485

imported post

Just thought of possible legal reasoning for LOC in unicorporated areas:

The determination of whether or not 12031 applies in unincorporated areas is if it is a prohibited area. That has been loosely interpreted to mean any area with a ban on recreational shooting. But the law specifies "prohibited" meaning that under no circumstances may a firearm be discharged. Since discharge in self defense would still be permitted, the law shouldn't apply.

For purposes of example I will highlight three general purposes for discharging a firearm: hunting, target, self defense. If you are in an area where target practice is allowed, but hunting is not, you are clearly not in a prohibited area. What I am arguing is that if you are in an area that target practice and hunting are prohibited, but self defense is not, then you are not in a prohibited area within the meaning of 12031.

Thoughts?

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

I think the reasoning is valid. I'm sure somebody has been found guilty of 12031 while in a pseudo-prohibited unincorporated area, though I doubt they tried to argue your point.