• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Remembering Pearl Harbor and maybe exploding a myth

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Not trying to stir up the whole political mess thing, but that was a different time and different circumstances. The threat was real and fairly clear-cut. Today the threat is veiled and works like the death of a thousand cuts - no individual one will kill you but put them all together and you are dead.

We are still safe from a concerted invasion, but vulnerable to individual hit-and-run attacks. There's no nation-state and its army to go after and defeat. Point out the real head of the real snake and then chop it off. Till then, keep your head on a swivel.

stay safe.

skidmark

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

This article is poppycock.

Anti-gun legislation has been going on for a very long time. I would like to see some statistics as I think the author is wrong in saying, per capita, more people had guns than now. I think that is reverse. MORE people have guns, per capita, than ever before. Sure, there is anti-gun efforts still going on, nothing new. Some states have a relaxation of laws and others have a stiffening in some cases. It is and always has been back and forth.

Let's not forget that some of the toughest gun laws started out 70+ years ago starting with the fact that we have to get licensed, pay taxes, and/or register certain types of firearms (a huge laundry list) under the National Firearms Act. This was not an Act of Congress done in the last several years, this was dont 75 years ago, or three quarters of a century!

1968, Crime Control and Safe Streets Act, a comprehensive Act, which included more restrictions on handguns. Also in this year, the Gun Control Act, the source of why we have to feel out lengthy forms from the BATFE whenever we buy a gun from a dealer, and then dealers and even collectors must go through a long and sometimes complicated process to sell or collect guns under the FFL licensing system.

Now, came a bit of a godsend, the Firearm Owners Protection Act, 1986. Gun owners had protection against abuse by the government, particularly those abuses perpetrated by the BATF(E). But it came at a bit of a price for some gun enthusiasts, an amendment (the Hughs Amendment), put considerable restrictions on people owning and transferringautomatic machine guns.

Then the Federal Assault weapons ban, which is now no longer an issue.....

So I don't know what major firearm legistlation has been pushed down on us in the last few years, if anything, things have been a bit quiet except for threats of legislations and gun grabbing which seem to have only hurt gun owners and certainly helped firearm business owners.