• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lost Blue card

Sabotage70

imported post

I lost one of my blue cards a week or so ago. The last time I know I had it was the day before turkey day. I had it on me when I OC'ed to pick up something from bass pro shop's and a couple of other places before going to So-Cal that thursday morning.
Well anyway, after getting back from the peoples republic of Kalifornia I couldn't find my BC for my gun I just bought about a month ago. So just so that I know I had one and to prevent any future issue I took it down(OC'ed it even, cleared it in the truck before entering) ;) to the station to get a new one. While going through the process found that it wasn't in there records yet. So for sh!ts and giggles I asked what other handguns they had on file. Finding out that they didn't have one that I bought when I took my CC class back in early Feb. which was at the shop on Blue Diamond.

So just a warning for you guys and gals. Just because you bought it at a gun shop doesn't mean they turned in the paperwork. Just for peace of mind you might want to go down and see what guns they have on file for you.

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

LOL, that's great! 7-8 months behind -- I guess this is why you should carry your blue card - their own backlog means they won't know you registered any guns purchased in the last 7-8 months. Wonder if the front line officers know this? Or are they confiscating weapons that "aren't registered" because they're not yet in the database?

I thought this was a "useful law enforcement tool"? Isn't it possible a gun purchased in the last 7-8 months was used in a crime?

I've transferred some of my older handguns out of state, and I didn't bother to notify LVMPD, none of their business. It's possible their system doesn't show any of the handguns I have at the moment and instead shows guns that are 3000 miles away.

Tim

PS, where did you get this information? I have just filed an open records request with LVMPD PIO office requesting additional information regarding the backlog. It will help lobby against it.

h2ojunkie

imported post

timf343 wrote:
LOL, that's great! 7-8 months behind -- I guess this is why you should carry your blue card - their own backlog means they won't know you registered any guns purchased in the last 7-8 months. Wonder if the front line officers know this? Or are they confiscating weapons that "aren't registered" because they're not yet in the database?
If they just stopped illegally harassing people for the legal act of carrying, they would never be running the serial number to see the registration isn't in the system yet in the first place.

IMO this isn't a reason to carry the card, this is way more important reason to leave the only piece of proof you have that you are complying with the law locked up in your safe where it belongs.

DON`T TREAD ON ME

imported post

h2ojunkie wrote:
timf343 wrote:
If they just stopped illegally harassing people for the legal act of carrying, they would never be running the serial number to see the registration isn't in the system yet in the first place.

IMO this isn't a reason to carry the card, this is way more important reason to leave the only piece of proof you have that you are complying with the law locked up in your safe where it belongs.
I was right there with you junkie, and then I had a thought. Does the blue card prove anything? if there was a problem with your registration, would the blue card be considered proof? has there ever been any forgery? could someone sell you a firearm and then , before you register have there friend produce a blue card in another name and you go to jail for felony ? ? That brings up a good question, what can a blue card do FOR YOU ?and how could it be used AGAINST YOU

Sabotage70

imported post

joeschmo wrote:
It doesn't mean they didn't turn in the paperwork. I have heard that they are around 7-8 months behind on entering new guns into the system.
Thats funny 'cause a gun that I bought at a gun show in the middle of March is in the system. But the one I bought nearly a month and a half earlier is not. And the one thats not in the system is on my ccw. :?

h2ojunkie

imported post

DON`T TREAD ON ME wrote:
I was right there with you junkie, and then I had a thought. Does the blue card prove anything? if there was a problem with your registration, would the blue card be considered proof? has there ever been any forgery? could someone sell you a firearm and then , before you register have there friend produce a blue card in another name and you go to jail for felony ? ? That brings up a good question, what can a blue card do FOR YOU ?and how could it be used AGAINST YOU
Well, the way I see it the blue card is better than having zero proof. And there's just no way I'm carrying the only piece of evidence I can use in my favor around with me to get lost/stolen etc.