• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lynchburg Area - OC reports

nuc65

Activist Member
Discussion

I just spoke with a coworker who had been discussing ammo and guns with me this past year after he discovered the joys of target shooting. Today he mentioned that he saw somebody OCing in Walmart and was wondering why Walmart didn't have a policy against it after all he should feel safe in a store and should leave his arms in his glove box. This of course sparked a discussion about carrying, self-defense, intent and other items related to carry. I asked if somebody should 'feel' safe going to a movie and other questions about gun free zones which we didn't have a chance to get too deep into the conversation because we have work to do. But I was struck that he said seeing somebody else carrying made him feel nervous and that he had gotten his CHP so why didn't everyone. I will continue this discussion with him at a later time.

I will add that during this discussion another coworker stopped by and said that Walmart doesn't want to be responsible for our safety because of (potential) costs associated with such a policy. He even explained some of what he meant.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snipped--.

I will add that during this discussion another coworker stopped by and said that Walmart doesn't want to be responsible for our safety because of (potential) costs associated with such a policy. He even explained some of what he meant.

No one can make you safe. Governments have poured trillions of dollars in that hole. A $500.00 pistol might make a difference.

Liability insurance policies are indemnity plans - they pay AFTER a loss, but they do nothing to prevent the loss. Bean counters want to keep as many beans as possible. They have concluded that allowing LAP to carry is cheaper. Not what some people want to hear though. You might say that it is a matter of dollars and sense. :)

nuc65

Activist Member
Not sure what I heard on the radio because it was background noise, but I think I heard that March 19th the Madison Heights board is planning on a hearing to change an ordinance that says it is ok to discharge a firearm in self-defense or to fire a shotgun on your own property as long as you have a 100yd buffer. Not sure how to check on this. Anyone have any suggestions?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Not sure what I heard on the radio because it was background noise, but I think I heard that March 19th the Madison Heights board is planning on a hearing to change an ordinance that says it is ok to discharge a firearm in self-defense or to fire a shotgun on your own property as long as you have a 100yd buffer. Not sure how to check on this. Anyone have any suggestions?

--Deleted erronious information previously posted here--

Last edited:

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Actually he needs info related to Amherst County as Madison Heights is a town on the southern edge of the county where the James River forms the northern border of Lynchburg.

http://www.countyofamherst.com/

I looked around for info on the town council, but found nothing. It might be worth calling the Amherst Co. hotline (434-946-9400) to see if they can point you in the right direction for now. I'll keep looking for Madision Heights info and will post it when I find it.

*It appears what you need to attend is the Amherst County Board of Supervisors meeting that will be in Madison Heights (and not in the county seat of Amherst) for spring, 2013.

http://www.wsls.com/story/20847539/...visit-moving-some-meetings-to-madison-heights

Last edited:

kenny

Madison Heights, a community in Amherst County, VA and Madison County, one county south of Culpeper are two separate places. The 540 area code should have been the clue. Amherst County/Madison Heights is 434.

Last edited:

nuc65

Activist Member
Amherst does have something going on as we'll, but I did mean Madison Heights who has a meeting to discuss gun control in Madison Heights (not Amherst) on March 19th.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
I've heard the same ad as you (I think), but Madison Heights isn't even an incorporated town within Amherst County, so I'm not exactly sure how it would have its own code for anything (it doesn't). The only town within Amherst County is Amherst, which may have its own shooting ordinances, but I don't know if it's even authorized to have that.

Amherst County Code Section 10.7 lays out certain areas where the discharge of firearms has specific prohitions. Although the code lays out the borders of the area in words with the description of various roads, creeks and other effects, it generally defines the unincorporated area of Madison Heights. This is the only area where the county has restrictions on shooting, but they are the county's restrictions, thus you'd have to attend the county's meetings regarding changing them to have any input.

http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=10359

Last edited:

nuc65

Activist Member
I've heard the same ad as you (I think), but Madison Heights isn't even an incorporated town within Amherst County, so I'm not exactly sure how it would have its own code for anything (it doesn't). The only town within Amherst County is Amherst, which may have its own shooting ordinances, but I don't know if it's even authorized to have that.

Amherst County Code Section 10.7 lays out certain areas where the discharge of firearms has specific prohitions. Although the code lays out the borders of the area in words with the description of various roads, creeks and other effects, it generally defines the unincorporated area of Madison Heights. This is the only area where the county has restrictions on shooting, but they are the county's restrictions, thus you'd have to attend the county's meetings regarding changing them to have any input.

http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=10359

Madison Heights has a town council and its own rules - www.madison-heights.org. March 19 has a meeting of police, militia, committee. The pdf that is linked didn't download but I will be checking into it.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Pay attention next time you head north across the river, you'll not see any signs informing you that you are in Madison Heights nor are there any MH police. It's patrolled by Amherst County sheriffs and has no independent government of its own.

nuc65

Activist Member
Last night I ended up at the library where a republican delegate election was taking place. I was OC and one other person who came to speak on behalf of a candidate for Lt Gov. Senator Steve Martin allowed that he believes good gun control is holding the gun with both hands. Scott Ligamfelter didn't comment on my OC. One of the 6 candidates (republicans only) supported the enhanced background checks, the other seemed to shy away from it. There were also 2 candidates for Atty. General, but only one of them
(Mark Obenshain) showed up, the other (Rob Bell) sent someone else to sing his praises.

The sheriff was there (Ron Gilispe) and I believe he was carrying but under his windbreaker. Didn't make note of anyone else carrying, although the former Lynchburg City Police Chief was there and I will allow that he was most likely armed, I didn't try to confirm it. I did receive a couple of compliments and one gal explained to me that she preferred revolvers to semi-automatics.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
The wifester and I met up with the Jero clan for dinner last night over at The Spot Eatery on Timberlake Rd by Big Lots. We've stopped in a few times on our own, but have recently been introducing our friends to the place. They have some excellent wings, cheese fries, hot dogs, mac & cheese, and burgers. There are healthier options on the menu, but I don't go to diners for health food. :)

The folks there are quite friendly and I've never heard a peep about our OCed sidearms. It was good to dine with the Jeros again and introduce them to one of our new favorite spots.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
The wifester and I dined at La Caretta tonight and I OCed as usual. About halfway through our time a group of 3 young guys walked in and at least one was OCing as well. I didin't catch his attention to say ho, but it was good to see another OCer just the same even if he looked like he bought his holster the same day he bought his first razor. :)

I think I'm getting old.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
While out and about this past weekend I drew a couple positive comments on my OCed sidearm. The first was at Lowes in Madison Heights where one of the workers noticed my spare mag holder. The second was at New London House, where again someone noticed my spare mag holder and asked me where I got it along with chatting a bit about what I was carrying and what the commenter was carrying.

While out and about Saturday I OCed at Books A Million in Waynesboro, some little gas station north of Amherst (at the turn off from 29 to 151) and Madison Heights Walmart as well. Of course it was no big deal to anyone, but it was an area I'm not usually in.

nuc65

Activist Member
There has been a manhunt going on in Lynchburg the last couple of days. Had some friends walk with me when I took my dog out because they felt safer. Walmart on OFR had a limited stock of ammo in but no 9 or 45. I imagine now that DHS is being questioned about the need to stockpile or dispose of 600million rounds of ammo that maybe it will start showing up in stores again, of course people are probably still stockpiling so who knows. It would be nice to find some more bulk .22.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
There has been a manhunt going on in Lynchburg the last couple of days. Had some friends walk with me when I took my dog out because they felt safer. Walmart on OFR had a limited stock of ammo in but no 9 or 45. I imagine now that DHS is being questioned about the need to stockpile or dispose of 600million rounds of ammo that maybe it will start showing up in stores again, of course people are probably still stockpiling so who knows. It would be nice to find some more bulk .22.

Might want to be careful. Mentioning 2 or more calibers in one post might attract the drones :uhoh:

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Been OCing around the 'Burg like usual lately with no events much worth noting. Even up in Ohio a few weeks ago I OCed all over and nobody batted an eye. The only abnormality was last night I was pulled over in my pickup truck on the way to the dump. I saw the lights, pulled over when I found a nice wide shoulder and waited for the guy to come up while I retrieved my documents. I only noticed the one guy at first (a VSP trooper) and then noticed what looked like what may have been a Campbell Co. sheriff officer in some sort of police ball cap. Both were friendly, courteous and professional and not a word was mentioned of the pistol that should've been obvious on my hip. The guy even was quite helpful when I told him to use the flashlight to shine it over in an area where I ws digging for my registration. :) Apparently I either have a bulb burned out in my high mount stop light or the thing was never equipped with one, so I just received an oral invitation to think about adding one as required by Code of Virginia 46.2-1014.1. As far as traffic stops go it was my first in probably 12 or 13 years and it was as smoothe as one could hope.

The only other "event" while OCing was when a gal who normally waits on us at the local Texas Roadhouse was in with friends having drinks and dinner a few nights ago. She'd said hello previously, but came over at some point and said "let's talk about why you have a pistol on your hip" as she was curious about why I had it. I cordially told her it's there in case I need it to defend myself or the wifester and just like I carry a wallet, watch, phone, and spare tire in case I need them, the gun's there in-case I need it as well. I also told her that I was surprised that she just noticed because I've had it or larger ones on all but a few times in the 4 or so years I've been going there, including every time she's ever waited on us, or just come by to chat. She seemed a bit surprised at that, but it may have just been that she was surprised she'd never noticed. After that we went back to chit chatting about other things and eventually she went back to her own friends.

I think I may have had people ask me here and there what I'm carrying, but other than not much is new. A few weeks ago I got to help with a church group shooting event at a men's retreat where we had about 50 guys. I got to work the line to prep the shooters to safely come the line and the guys were some who regularly carry, others who just have some guns, and others had never shot guns. We helped them learn to handle firearms safely, think through the consequences of using a gun for defense and looking in your concience and making sure you could use a gun to take another's life if your own or your family's was threatened, and then come to the shooting line and with the instruction of a police shooting instructor, demonstrate in quick fashion with pistols and revolvers that even a newby could pick up a gun and adequately place rounds in a upper torso target such that would be likely to strike and hopefully stop an attacker. It was a pretty quick session for each individual involved (except us working the line), but I think it was good for old shooters and newbies alike to see how quickly one can learn to use a firearm to defend their own life. I'm happy to be part of a church that understands there are people that one may run across that are willing to harm you or your family, and you may be the only thing that stands between your family (or yourself) and an attacker and unspeakable acts of unacceptable violence.

Last edited:

amtilton17

I have started doing more OC around Lynchburg, especially as the weather warms up and it is harder for us big guys to conceal. No negative comments although I did have a cashier at Walmart on Wards Rd. ask me if I was a P.I.