• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lynchburg Area - OC reports

nuc65

Activist Member
Little News

No issues anywhere, but... neighbor asked me to do some filming for her dance recital, I finally agreed. So this weekend I went to look at the place and get an idea of what I might want to have on hand, strobes, lights, gaffer tape etc.. Well, today she came by and asked if I would please don't wear my sidearm, a parent had complained. I wished her luck in her endeavor. The area of town she is in is not someplace I would feel comfortable leaving my piece in the truck, nor am I going to CC while moving around.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
No issues anywhere, but... neighbor asked me to do some filming for her dance recital, I finally agreed. So this weekend I went to look at the place and get an idea of what I might want to have on hand, strobes, lights, gaffer tape etc.. Well, today she came by and asked if I would please don't wear my sidearm, a parent had complained. I wished her luck in her endeavor. The area of town she is in is not someplace I would feel comfortable leaving my piece in the truck, nor am I going to CC while moving around.
Might have been an opportunity to wear an OCd empty holster while deep concealing a BUG - just a thought.

Hollywood.45

First timer (newbie)

New to the thread but have been reading it 4 awhile but me and my wife have been new gun owners sine feb of this yr mainly 4 personal reasons and and home protection were currently wAiting 4 a ccw class next month so 2 get her used 2 carrying and just having a gun n general (she reAlly disliked guns due 2 ex) we've been oc a lot and some encouragement came when we were grocery shopping at krogers in forest and at 1st u could see some ppl doing double takes but 4 the most part nobody seemed to notice and as we were leaving 1 employee came up and said it was nice to see people open carrying that they don't see that much in there. We try and go 2 range at least once a month hope to see y'all out And about sometimes were the couple with 3 kids lol

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Welcome to OCDO Hollywood.45 - lots of good people and conversation here.

There are more OCers in your area than you might think - look for stickies on local meet n' greets in the Virginia sub-forum.

Virginia of course enjoys state preemption of firearms laws so there are no effective local ordinances that exceed state limitations.
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+15.2-915

Are you a member of VCDL yet? If not give it serious consideration.
http://www.vcdl.org/join

At least sign up for the free Va-Alert - best way to keep up with what is happening throughout the Commonwealth and any court cases or changes in the laws.
http://www.vcdl.org/va-alert

nuc65

Activist Member
New to the thread but have been reading it 4 awhile but me and my wife have been new gun owners sine feb of this yr mainly 4 personal reasons and and home protection were currently wAiting 4 a ccw class next month so 2 get her used 2 carrying and just having a gun n general (she reAlly disliked guns due 2 ex) we've been oc a lot and some encouragement came when we were grocery shopping at krogers in forest and at 1st u could see some ppl doing double takes but 4 the most part nobody seemed to notice and as we were leaving 1 employee came up and said it was nice to see people open carrying that they don't see that much in there. We try and go 2 range at least once a month hope to see y'all out And about sometimes were the couple with 3 kids lol

Welcome, good to hear your experience is going well.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Just got back in town and saw this thread had been updated. Good to see another OCer in the 'Burg Hollywood.45!

The wife and I both OC regularly as do some other couples we know. I think you'll find Lynchburg a pretty friendly place to be. I had some positive observations to report prior to going on vacation, but I don't recall what they were just now. If I get time to collect my thoughts I'll put them down in here. :)

Hope all you other Lynchburgers are doing well although we haven't seen each other much lately.

Hollywood.45

Well had another successful week ocing around town had a nice conversation with a gentleman in pet smart about rights and laws and also found out the lady who was the cashier has her chp..... Did experience some awkwardness when we took the family to cicis pizza Wife was asked if we had our cc license to which she politely replied "no we don't need 1 were expressing our 2nd amendment rights and there are no postings anywhere on the doors that prohibit us from doing so" needless to say the staff was very polite and courteous to us while we were there. Hope everyone had a great 4th of july

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Well had another successful week ocing around town had a nice conversation with a gentleman in pet smart about rights and laws and also found out the lady who was the cashier has her chp..... Did experience some awkwardness when we took the family to cicis pizza Wife was asked if we had our cc license to which she politely replied "no we don't need 1 were expressing our 2nd amendment rights and there are no postings anywhere on the doors that prohibit us from doing so" needless to say the staff was very polite and courteous to us while we were there. Hope everyone had a great 4th of july

Does that mean your spousal unit carries also?

The family that carries together is golden....w/children goes platinum.

Check out some of the meet n' greets in your area - lots of good people there.

Also consider joining VCDL, at least sign up for the free Va-Alerts.
http://www.vcdl.org/

Hollywood.45

Yes my wife also carries on the regular she has a beretta px4 storm 9mm which was mine at 1st but she took from me bc she has man hands lol and felt more comfortable with it so I now have a glock 36

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Guess it's time to throw some new experiences in here. The wifester and I have been OCing as usual with no issues at any of the regular joints reported recently or in previous years. A couple months back or so I was out to Roanoke for a VCDL lunch in Salem and decided to take a little motorcycle ride back home a different route than usual. I took Rt 220 south down to Rocky Mount and then Rt 122 back toward Bedford with the intent to stop at Homestead Creamery in Burnt Chimney for some ice cream. I didn't OC on that occasion, but the wife and I went back a couple weeks later and had lunch, shopped around some, then got ice cream as we loafed around the property watching the goats and cows out back. We wrapped up by buying a few things and we headed home. No one seemed the least bit bothered by our OCed sidearms and we were happy to have lunch at the creamery whose milk we've been using for years. We went down to Wally World in Rocky Mount on that same trip and had no issues OCing there either, but we didn't expect any.

We've since been back with Jero1987 and his wife and pretty much repeated the same visit with lunch, shopping, playing with the critters and getting ice cream and again none of the staff seemed the least bit bothered by the sidearms, but we did overhear a couple customers comment to each other about them. Once again it was a pleasant visit and I'll be looking forward to our next trip out some time soon.

Some time between now and the first visit to Homestead Creamery we decided to check out Arosto Pizza on Wards Rd to see if the management was as hostile to gun owners as the management at Waterstone Pizza downtown (apparently they either share the same owner or at least the same concept guy). We've been in about a half dozen or so times in the past couple months and have never had the first issue with OCed sidearms and the staff, though a bit more reserved than I'd expect, seem friendly enough and provide some tasty pizza at a price I'm comfortable with. Arosto only does individual size pizzas (probably 10+ inches), salads, and a couple desserts, and I don't think they have an ABC license (yet?), but it seems to cater well to the Liberty U students and others in the area and stay moderately busy.

The only other semi-unusual spot for us was dining at Longhorn Steakhouse in Roanoke a couple times, but we've had no issue there either. I've seen a few other OCers and have had some nice comments regarding my sidearms since I last posted, but otherwise we've experienced nothing noteworthy and that's fine by me. This summer has flown by so far, but I need to get an OC lunch or dinner together soon. I think I'll post it for lunch or dinner at Monte Carlo Italian Restaurant on Old Forest Road. Once I run this by some of the regulars to see when they're free I'll add a new topic. Hope some of you Lynchburgers who haven't made it out before can make time to come visit. If you're in the surrounding areas, come join us as well!

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
I got out of work early one day and met my wife and her visiting family at Homestead Creamery for ice cream down by Smith Mountain Lake after they wrapped up their time at the lake's beach. I was OCing as usual and as I stood paying for the ice cream one of the lady customers asked me what it was I was carrying. I happily told her and it turns out she's been workig with her husband learning to shoot handguns and would soon be getting her own and taking the necessary training to get her CHP. I informed her that there was no permit needed to OC, but could certainly see the desire to carry concealed as well as I do it myself in some situations. We chit chatted a little bit about guns and the reasons to carry and then went our separate ways. Needless to say it was a nice experience finding someone else who was interested in doing what they can to keep themself ready for predators.

The rest of the week and through this week I've been OCing as usual with no issues. While sitting in Vinny's on Wards Rd on Sunday evening the wife and I noticed one of the patron of the other shops nearby was carrying a nice looking shortened 1911 style pistol as well, but since he was outside and we were inside we didn't get the chance to chat. Earlier in the week I saw another OCer at Blue Dahlia over in Forest and chatted with him while I waited to pay. I mentioned OCDO and he said he'd heard of it, but had little time to check in on forums and such with his own family and work schedule. Seems like I've seen a couple other OCers in the area lately too, but I don't recall just where or when.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
The wifester and I had dinner at La Caretta at Wards Rd tonight and as we walked in a young man carrying a full size 1911 and a spare mag holder came walking out. I tripped over the wife as he was walking out so I missed the chance to say anything, but once we were seated we noticed the gentleman across the aisle was porly concealing some apparently large frame pistol. I OCed and the wife CCed, and it was good to see others carrying too.

R_Ca$h

I'm happy to report the wife is now over the fence on carrying and due to recent and on going events I can't comment further about at this time we will be picking it up tomorrow as soon as paperwork clears.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Good to hear she's seen the light! If you two would like to borrow a copy of the Virginia Gun Owner's Guide I have at home let me know.

*Look for a posting for an OC lunch in the upcoming hours.

R_Ca$h

Please respect copyright laws.
http://www.copyright.gov/title17/

I had never heard of the guide until JMelvin brought it up (I'm still learning) I assumed this was something you can make a pdf copy of from a website. Now that I have looked into this and see it is an actual book no copies will be made as my print shop respects all copyright laws.

JMelvin which addition do you have? I see the Eighth edition (2013) is listed on Amazon for only $12.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
I'm not quite sure what edition I have. I received it as part of attorney Dan Hawes ( username "user" here ) Lethal Force Seminar back in 2011 or so. The most up to date version is probably the best and since it's only $12 it shouldn't set you back too much and you'll have it for reference permanently at your own home. If you want to borrow the version I have, you're more than welcome to but recognize it might not have the must up to date info.