• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lynchburg Area - OC reports

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
I'll let you know when I get a chance. With it being deer season I tend to do my recreational shooting on Sundays so I don't interfere with those hunting.
:)

nuc65

Activist Member
I recently watched part of a video that was taken outside of Dicks Sporting Goods apparently someone was carrying a Mac10. Was that a recent video? Does anyone have any information on when that was? Who was involved? Is anything being done to pursue complaints?

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
I assume you're talking about the video VCDL posted? I watched it and the only person I recognized is a police lieutenant or captain who arrived in his SUV midway or past in the stop. He didn't appear to interact with the guy carrying the sidearm.

love4guns

I recently watched part of a video that was taken outside of Dicks Sporting Goods apparently someone was carrying a Mac10. Was that a recent video? Does anyone have any information on when that was? Who was involved? Is anything being done to pursue complaints?

Was this in Lynchburg?

half_life1052

Disturbing

I thought that Lynchburgs finest was more aware of the laws. How did the investigating officer get to the point that detaining the person was reasonable. After all, he was responding to a MWAG call (not illegal) and as far as can be gleaned from the conversation no one at Dicks asked him to leave. Where is the RAS for anything let alone probable cause? It seemed that the issue was really about "a gun like that". I also heard one of the officers talking about case laws (ie long gun have to be in a case). The state preempts all gun laws right? Is there any laws about rifles being in cases?

nuc65

Activist Member
I thought that Lynchburgs finest was more aware of the laws. How did the investigating officer get to the point that detaining the person was reasonable. After all, he was responding to a MWAG call (not illegal) and as far as can be gleaned from the conversation no one at Dicks asked him to leave. Where is the RAS for anything let alone probable cause? It seemed that the issue was really about "a gun like that". I also heard one of the officers talking about case laws (ie long gun have to be in a case). The state preempts all gun laws right? Is there any laws about rifles being in cases?

I have the same sorts of questions and I would like to have a little more information about this. The cop looked young enough and he called the gun a machine gun so I am curious about the details. I hope complaints were filed if they were in order. I have seen cops hanging out in the parking lot there so it would be nice to know if there were actually a call, or a fishing expedition by the local LE. As far as I know there are no laws regarding long gun in a case for carry, but would need more knowledgeable folk to answer that one.

Last edited:

nuc65

Activist Member
Carried for Black Friday. Saw many Lynchburg LE out and about and even enjoyed a conversation with one of the higher ranked members who educated me about LPDs choice of issued pieces (Glock) and caliber of ammo (40 S&W). But mostly just a polite head nod or two. Walmart (Ward's Rd., OFR), Target, Sheetz, Bestbuy, Dick's, Ruby Tuesday and a couple others.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
I realize in advance that some of the following isn't exactly Lynchburg, but these are surrounding areas that don't have their own threads.....

As indicated in previous posts the wifester and I (mostly I) have been OCing all around Lynchburg in our usual spots with no issues as of late. Last weekend (before Thanksgiving) we hosted the wifester's father and stepmother, both of whom are quite "gun friendly" and carry as well. However, neither one OCs, but as usual I OCed nearly everywhere like I do even when visiting them in WV and nearby Ohio or Kentucky. Although I don't think they mind the OCing they don't do it themselves, but I do enjoy demonstrating to my father in law that most people don't even notice the gun and usually when they do they don't care or you get a relatively positive conversation out of it. I think my OCing around them has removed some of the mystery of OCing and hesitancy they may have had for trying it themselves. Unrelated to the visit from the in-laws the wifester and I also found ourselves in Toppers Wings & Things on Fort Ave again where I OCed without any issue while having dinner. Other than that we visited the same spots we usually go.

While hosting the in-laws we found ourselves in Roanoke, but I also dragged myself down there on Friday as well. While shopping in Sportsman's Warehouse for some Christmas gifts a gentleman approached me and asked me about how OCing was received around here. Although he and his family are from Virginia, they'd been away in Texas and only recently returned and he now OCs on a rare occasion. We stood and chatted for a few minutes and I told him that I'd been OCing (mostly without the slightest issue) since 2005 when living in AZ and most folks in all of the states I've been in either don't notice or don't really care when they do. We exchanged phone numbers and I pointed him to VCDL (he was already familiar with them and had one of their "carry cards") and OCDO. As I did my shopping that day I noticed that there was at least one other OCer in the store as well. While in Roanoke I also stopped at Gander Mountain and Lowes and of course had no issues like normal.

The wifester and I have been looking for some new furniture for the house so on Saturday afternoon we headed out to Farmville to check out Green Front Furniture. While there I had to stop by CVS where I OCed as well with no issue. The wifester and I went through about 3 of the Green Front's buildings that afternoon and I had no issue at all while OCing there. When we finished shopping we walked over to Charley's Waterfront Cafe where we dined and again had no issues with the OCing, but the high food prices did not reflect a corresponding level of tastiness or service. If you find yourself in Farmville you may do okay dining at Charley's, but from our experience, don't feel obligated to order anything particularly fancy.

All in all we enjoyed ourselves in Lynchburg, Roanoke, and Farmville and had no issues OCing where we went.

Last edited:

mbhudson

Because responsible OCers only carry guns that look like what everyone else carries? Please do tell Mr. Hudson.

not exactly but because dressing like a bum acting like a jerk to police and using profane language on top of carrying a mac 11 puts a bad taste in the mouths of the store the person who called and the police in this incident it seems that this could have gone so much better by changing any one of these things and surely by changing a combination of them lets be honest if it looks like a duck ... and that leads to the phone call that gets this ugly ball rolling

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Since you haven't heard from me that means I haven't had the chance. I think I'm taking a newbie to the range this weekend so it probably won't be this weekend unless she ditches us. Send me your contact info by private message and I'll send you a text if I know anything new. Half_life wanted to go to so I'll try to squeeze you both in at the same time as there's plenty of room for shooting. :)

half_life1052

Since you haven't heard from me that means I haven't had the chance. I think I'm taking a newbie to the range this weekend so it probably won't be this weekend unless she ditches us. Send me your contact info by private message and I'll send you a text if I know anything new. Half_life wanted to go to so I'll try to squeeze you both in at the same time as there's plenty of room for shooting. :)

;) And I just finished putting new furniture on the old 870. I have a few items that need zeroed in. It could be fun for all as I share well with others.

SpringXDS45

OC around Lynchburg, VA

Turned 21 a month ago and just purchased a springfield XDS 45 for my first handgun. Ive been around guns all my life and now that I have one I would love to get in touch with some people about the OC groups in this area.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Turned 21 a month ago and just purchased a springfield XDS 45 for my first handgun. Ive been around guns all my life and now that I have one I would love to get in touch with some people about the OC groups in this area.

PM Jmelvin here. He's in your area, very OC active and one of the nicest fellows you'll ever meet.

Oh...Welcome to the forum and thank you for not using the C word.

Last edited:

scouser

you might want to check out the thread devoted to OC experiences in the Lynchburg area, it's currently buried several pages back but here is the link

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?65943-Open-Carry-in-the-Greater-Lynchburg-Area

also there is currently a sticky thread at the top of the Virginia sub forum mentioning an OC lunch in Lynchburg. If the rest of the Lynchburg crowd are as amiable as jmelvin (the only one I've met in person) then you'll be welcomed like an old friend. Take a look at this link for more info

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?109345-Lynchburg-OC-Lunch-January-5-2013

Nice choice with the XDS, I had several XDMs until they unfortunately slipped out of my hands into the lake the last time I went fishing

Last edited: