• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What would you do.

cheese

imported post

are you a godless heathen that does not go to the state sponsored church?

oh crap you may be screwed!:uhoh:

thx997303

imported post

Not at all. The church has indirect control over the state (the way I see it) only by virtue of the fact that the majority of people in the state are of the LDS faith.

As of 2006 I believe that the SL Tribune stated that the population was 62% LDS.

You will never remove religious influence from any democracy due to the fact that most people are influenced by their religious beliefs.

That means if you are catholic, you are likely to vote for things that the catholic church believes in.

Same if you are LDS, Wicken, Atheist, Agnostic, etc.

There is really no direct control of either from the other.

Sorry for the Hijack guys.

kirkaroberts

imported post

thx997303 wrote:
Not at all. The church has indirect control over the state (the way I see it) only by virtue of the fact that the majority of people in the state are of the LDS faith.

As of 2006 I believe that the SL Tribune stated that the population was 62% LDS.

You will never remove religious influence from any democracy due to the fact that most people are influenced by their religious beliefs.

That means if you are catholic, you are likely to vote for things that the catholic church believes in.

Same if you are LDS, Wicken, Atheist, Agnostic, etc.

There is really no direct control of either from the other.

Sorry for the Hijack guys.
It's too bad people just don't vote for things that support our Constitution. However, there is an awful lot of influence from religion in it, even though it specifically separates church and state.

I still stand by my earlier comment not to escalate the situation if you are safe inside your home, even as mad is it makes you. You never know if they have a partner or partners and are all armed. No property is worth your life. The laws quoted are right on point though, so I guess it is up to you as far as what you are willing to risk for your property. Are you willing to risk your life, your health, your freedom? Just food for thought.

thx997303

imported post

The constitution does NOT create a wall of separation between church and state. This was an erroneous supreme court ruling using wording from a letter from Thomas Jefferson to the Danbury Baptist Association in 1803.

http://www.stephenjaygould.org/ctrl/jefferson_dba.html

The constitution only states that:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Disallowing prayer in schools for example is a grievous usurpation of powers that are specifically denied by the constitution.

This is of course, the way I interpret it.

Sabotage70

imported post

thx997303 wrote:
The constitution does NOT create a wall of separation between church and state. This was an erroneous supreme court ruling using wording from a letter from Thomas Jefferson to the Danbury Baptist Association in 1803.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Disallowing prayer in schools for example is a grievous usurpation of powers that are specifically denied by the constitution.

Boy you sure are taking this thread way off track. I was just pointing out that he would be judged differently. With him going to a bar, than if he was a returned missionary with a wife and 6 kids.
And as far as prayer in school, the middle and high schools in Utah have a whole period devoted to church.
The mormans in Utah won't even bat an eye at the the kid marrying pedophiles(polygamist), but if they see a black man or someone with tattoo's they can't stop staring at them.
Make that $.04 now

JoeSparky

Centurion
imported post

Sabotage70 wrote:
thx997303 wrote:

Boy you sure are taking this thread way off track. I was just pointing out that he would be judged differently. With him going to a bar, than if he was a returned missionary with a wife and 6 kids.
And as far as prayer in school, the middle and high schools in Utah have a whole period devoted to church.
The mormans in Utah won't even bat an eye at the the kid marrying pedophiles(polygamist), but if they see a black man or someone with tattoo's they can't stop staring at them.
Make that $.04 now

Sabotage70,

KINDLY LAY OFF THE BIGOTRY AND TROLLIKE EFFORTS TO GETA RISE OUT OF EVERYONE!

Sabotage70

imported post

JoeSparky wrote:
Sabotage70 wrote:
thx997303 wrote:

Make that $.04 now

Sabotage70,

KINDLY LAY OFF THE BIGOTRY AND TROLLIKE EFFORTS TO GET A RISE OUT OF EVERYONE!
No prob. Sorry about that.

redreed

imported post

eddiealex wrote:
Check this out, but remember the law is to protect life first then property and under the Constitution everyone has the right to due process before being punished. The thought of kicking someones #ss for wronging you sounds good, but can open you up to civil liability, and or criminal prosecution. It seems after reading all the laws that they protect the criminals and cops, but not so much the citizen. I have listed a few Utah Codes in regards to citizen arrest, but you need to look even further as to when you can use deadly force. Check 76-2-401 thru 407 for use of force and deadly force.

Arrest, by Whom, and How Made

77-7-3. By private persons.
A private person may arrest another:
(1) For a public offense committed or attempted in his presence; or
(2) When a felony has been committed and he has reasonable cause to believe the person arrested has committed

77-7-6. Manner of making arrest.
(1) The person making the arrest shall inform the person being arrested of his intention, cause, and authority to arrest him. Such notice shall not be required when:
(a) there is reason to believe the notice will endanger the life or safety of the officer or another person or will likely enable the party being arrested to escape;
(b) the person being arrested is actually engaged in the commission of, or an attempt to commit, an offense; or
(c) the person being arrested is pursued immediately after the commission of an offense or an escape.
(2) (a) If a hearing-impaired person, as defined in Subsection 78B-1-201(2), is arrested for an alleged violation of a criminal law, including a local ordinance, the arresting officer shall assess the communicative abilities of the hearing-impaired person and conduct this notification, and any further notifications of rights, warnings, interrogations, or taking of statements, in a manner that accurately and effectively communicates with the hearing-impaired person including qualified interpreters, lip reading, pen and paper, typewriters, computers with print-out capability, and telecommunications devices for the deaf.
(b) Compliance with this subsection is a factor to be considered by any court when evaluating whether statements of a hearing-impaired person were made knowingly, voluntarily, and intelligently.

77-7-7. Force in making arrest.
If a person is being arrested and flees or forcibly resists after being informed of the intention to make the arrest, the person arresting may use reasonable force to effect the arrest. Deadly force may be used only as provided in Section 76-2-404.

Don't you think these could have been written in more plain english?:banghead:

This may sound strange, but breaking into a car is not a Felony. Hence, you may not make a citizens arrest under article 77-7-3. I don't know what a "Public Offence" is, so it may qualify under that portion. I don't know. Can anybody define what a "Public Offense" is?

UtahJarhead

imported post

redreed wrote:
This may sound strange, but breaking into a car is not a Felony. Hence, you may not make a citizens arrest under article 77-7-3. I don't know what a "Public Offence" is, so it may qualify under that portion. I don't know. Can anybody define what a "Public Offense" is?
I would guess it's referring to offenses like public urination or public intoxication. Things like that. Indecent exposure, drunk in public. ("I don't wanna be drunk in public... I wanna be drunk in a bar!")

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

UtahJarhead wrote:
redreed wrote:
I would guess it's referring to offenses like public urination or public intoxication. Things like that. Indecent exposure, drunk in public. ("I don't wanna be drunk in public... I wanna be drunk in a bar!")
The way I read it, a public offense is any violation of the Utah Code.

redreed

imported post

I am inclined to agree with you Sarge.

Hence it is my understanding that you can make a citizens arrest for any felony that you are aware of that has been committed (whether you witnessed it or not) as long as you have a reasonable cause to believe that the person you are arresting commited that felony,

or for any public offence that you have witnessed first hand.

kirkaroberts

imported post

thx997303 wrote:

Yeah, I guess you have some valid facts. I think it depends on how you interpret it.

"Separation of church and state is a political and legal doctrine that government and religious institutions are to be kept separate and independent from each other.[1][/sup] The term most often refers to the combination of two principles: secularity of government and freedom of religious exercise.[2][/sup] Reflecting a concept often credited in its original form to the English political philosopher John Locke [3][/sup], the phrase separation of church and state is generally traced to the letter written by Thomas Jefferson in 1802 to the Danbury Baptists, in which he referred to the First Amendment to the United States Constitution as creating a "wall of separation"[4][/sup] between church and state. The phrase was quoted by the United States Supreme Court first in 1878, and then in a series of cases starting in 1947. This led to increased popular and political discussion of the concept."
-Wikepedia-
It seems the Supreme Court has mostly supported it but has been a bit wishy washy in some cases. I'll separate it, keep your damn religion out of our Laws! Logic and reason should always prevail.